Returning to the UK and the NHS

There was an article in the telegraph saying that the government are thinking of allowing people to return to the UK and use the NHS IF they have made national insurance (NI) contributions for at least 7 years. Not sure if I'm allowed to post a link so I wont. It would be easy to find the article if you wish to do so using google search. It said that the approval would be given in 2014. Has anyone heard anything?

Has anyone got any experience of going home and receiving medical treatment, big or small? What did you need to prove, show or do?

In the article it mentions an NHS card? I just told them my NI number and all was good. Is there now an NHS card?

Thanks in advance for answers thumbsup.gif

• Like 1
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just returned from UK.

Saw my GP twice for consultations.

Had time to get one hospital appointment in before returning.

Use your head and don't let people here that know nothing scare you off.

Cheers thumbsup.gif

You are supposed to be resident for six months before you can use NHS.

Thanks.

I heard that before also.

It appears a bit of cheekyness (not a word) will go a long way.

What about this ruling that may or may not come in this year?

The 6 months thing is madness. Suppose I arrive home and get sick a week later. I'm meant to struggle until the 6 month period is over or go private.

I would say that paramount is address. One thing I noticed last time I was there, when I went to pick up a prescription for an elderly relative, was that they called the address and not the name. I was standing there like a lemon waiting for her name to be called and then realised that they kept repeating the same address which was where she lived. Even when I didn't respond they kept repeating the address, never her name. Very weird.

• Like 2

I read that one has to have minimum 7 years contribution to get free nhs treatment,when you at retirement age.

I have checked many times, and as a non resident,and living in Thailand for 12 years, i am not allowed treatment, other than emergency,but chargeable for anything else.

• Like 1

I read that one has to have minimum 7 years contribution to get free nhs treatment,when you at retirement age.

I have checked many times, and as a non resident,and living in Thailand for 12 years, i am not allowed treatment, other than emergency,but chargeable for anything else.

Ah OK, I didn't read it like that. I read it as expats who have contributed 7 years, not pensioners. I'm looking for the official document if it has been published?

Thanks for the input thumbsup.gif

I just returned and registered. Havent really availed myself of the services too much.

Just a few questions...

How long had you been away?

Are you of retirement age?

Did they say you would have to wait 6 months to use the services or just allow you to start using as and when?

Thanks

thumbsup.gif

I just returned and registered. Havent really availed myself of the services too much.

Just a few questions...

How long had you been away?

Are you of retirement age?

Did they say you would have to wait 6 months to use the services or just allow you to start using as and when?

Thanks

thumbsup.gif

Away 18 years.

• Like 1

If you're not registered with a Dr. already, just go and do it.

People once resident have notes somewhere that can be pulled.

Any questions, tell them you've been in prison.

If you don't like this idea, the by all means pay if you feel guilty.

• Like 2

If you're not registered with a Dr. already, just go and do it.

People once resident have notes somewhere that can be pulled.

Any questions, tell them you've been in prison.

If you don't like this idea, the by all means pay if you feel guilty.

Love the straight to the point replies thumbsup.gif

You're right though. No one should feel guilty when there are millions of people claiming things they aren't entitled too.

• Like 1

Officially if one has not lived in the UK for more than 3 years then treatment can be denied I think for the 1st 3 months, however I would suggest if you had a strong British accent and could provide an address I am sure treatment would be available at any outpatients in the UK with no questions asked. I have been with the same practice for more than twenty years and although I might go once in 5 years nobody has ever questioned me the same receptionist has been at the desk ever since I registered there and she has always remembered my name !

• Like 2

Believe me, I've just returned after 6 weeks there and used both my GP and the hospital services.

Unfortunately, things move slow and I had to spin a BS story about why I couldn't continue a particular event.

If you are British, it's a walk in the park. If you are elderly it's a walk in the park with breeze!

All any hospital will probably ask you for is your address and tel number, but you will need a referral from a GP unless you can convince them it's an emergency.

I really don't understand why people who have paid into the system are so scared, the constantly quote 'rules'.

Maybe they'd like to do it but are so tied down here they can't and begrudge anyone else.

Geez, if they love rules so much one wonders why the heck they ever moved here!!

As Nike said, Just Do It!

Away more then 48 years---back there last year, registered (for that they just needed my NI number ..... I got my stamps Cards & p45 so often when I was younger I knew the numbers.) Just needed to see a GP but then that involved going for blood tests----it wasn't a problem..........................coffee1.gif

The last thing the Telegraph printed about expats & N.H was in Sept 2013.....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/expathealth/10303008/Brits-abroad-could-have-rights-to-free-NHS-treatment-restored.html

Edited by sanuk711
  • Like 2

Believe me, I've just returned after 6 weeks there and used both my GP and the hospital services.

Unfortunately, things move slow and I had to spin a BS story about why I couldn't continue a particular event.

If you are British, it's a walk in the park. If you are elderly it's a walk in the park with breeze!

All any hospital will probably ask you for is your address and tel number, but you will need a referral from a GP unless you can convince them it's an emergency.

I really don't understand why people who have paid into the system are so scared, the constantly quote 'rules'.

Maybe they'd like to do it but are so tied down here they can't and begrudge anyone else.

Geez, if they love rules so much one wonders why the heck they ever moved here!!

As Nike said, Just Do It!

Away more then 48 years---back there last year, registered (for that they just needed my NI number ..... I got my stamps Cards & p45 so often when I was younger I knew the numbers.) Just needed to see a GP but then that involved going for blood tests----it wasn't a problem..........................coffee1.gif

Yup anyone who doesn't know their NI number should find it out and put it in several places if they can't remember it..

After registering at a GP, they should shortly after be sent a NHS number, which is different.(If they haven't got one)

Possession of these two (or one initially NI No), open all the required doors.

• Like 1

The rules are being phased in. At the moment it's possible to gain free NHS service because strict checks are not being made, but it will become increasingly harder and end up like other countries where private insurance will be required to cover a residency requirement gap. Plan accordingly!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

The rules are being phased in. At the moment it's possible to gain free NHS service because strict checks are not being made, but it will become increasingly harder and end up like other countries where private insurance will be required to cover a residency requirement gap. Plan accordingly!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

OK

Once back in Blighty, just claim asylum mate. That way you will be given free accomodation, free social security and free NHS laugh.png

Not far from the truth especially if you are elderly.

There are a few vulnerable elderly who should return, but feel 'the rules' won't let them.

Return with nothing or savings below 10K and they'll fix you up.thumbsup.gif

In most cases, a person will get treatment on the NHS at no charge however you will have to have a UK address.

HM Gov are supposed to be changing the system so that non UK citizens are charged.

My opinion is that if you have not paid in, then you should not get free treatment. But if you have lived, worked and paid national insurance for 40 years then treatment

should always be free.

• Like 2

If you draw a UK Government Pension you are entitled to NHS treatment and so is your legal wife.This is regardless of your 'not ordinarily resident' status.

• Like 1