Land Borders closed to overstayers

Is this a case of a self important official making it up as he goes along, just because he can.

Same as tourists making up their own visa rules and now the chickens have finally come home.

As time passes I think you'll find this isn't such a "paltry" affair. It looks like a new general attitude towards foreigners in Thailand. I hope for the country's sake the government doesn't proceed down an isolationist road.

As far as I have seen so far people who have legal extensions have no problems even though at times they have to jump through many paper hoops. Genuine tourists on genuine visas don't seem to have a problem either.

The problem seems to be with those who have been border running for a long time and especially those on overstays and have no proper visa for some reason.

• Like 2

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how can they stop you from leaving Thailand, i can understand them stopping you returning but I would get it in writing from the immigration stating i tried to leave the country but was not permitted to do so

You break the law, they don't let you leave the country (yet). What do you want in writing?

Is this a case of a self important official making it up as he goes along, just because he can.

Same as tourists making up their own visa rules and now the chickens have finally come home.

As time passes I think you'll find this isn't such a "paltry" affair. It looks like a new general attitude towards foreigners in Thailand. I hope for the country's sake the government doesn't proceed down an isolationist road.

Just because they only want foreigners who don't break the law?

how can they stop you from leaving Thailand, i can understand them stopping you returning but I would get it in writing from the immigration stating i tried to leave the country but was not permitted to do so

Their country, their border, they can do, in my opinion, what they want.

As an over stayer, you made the wrong move first. rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

At Mukdahan I also find them very unfriendly, I always feel like to disturb their quiet life when going there...

Nong Khai has always been the best.

I like the more quiet Mukdahan border, never felt unwelcome there, but feel the stress of the officers in Nong Khai,

had serious troubles there with a Passport which had been washed by accident ( warm water)

and had lost some Visa stickers. (Lao, Cambodia, Thailand)

Big lady boss had to come from the Immigration center Nong Khai to the border, an affair!

That my Thai GF was with me and that I have children in TH helped to get me in.

With that sorry looking Passport in same state, I went out / in at Suvarnabhumi Airport,

also in Savannaketh

and got extensions of stay twice in Udon Thani beforehand. whistling.gif

BUT, this is NONG KHAI! I was told, not so easy!

Edited by ALFREDO

You break the law, they don't let you leave the country (yet). What do you want in writing?

One breaks the laws and is willing to pay the penalty for it. They don't allow that, they are breaking the law.

Especially since overstayers with wives and kids here could easily have trotted along to their local immigration office for annual extensions of stay

"annual extension of stay" Possible, but, f you do not have the funds!? whistling.gif

Edited by ALFREDO

One breaks the laws and is willing to pay the penalty for it. They don't allow that, they are breaking the law.

No they are not. They tell you to pay the fine somewhere else. It is up to them where they want you to do that, not up to you.

• Like 1

No they are not. They tell you to pay the fine somewhere else. It is up to them where they want you to do that, not up to you.

No. Officers have the duty to apply the law and regulations that dictates one can pay overstay at any office. When not doing that they are omitting to their duty, a criminal offence.

Then regarding the "up to you" sentence I suggest you limit its usage to street talking as it's doesn't make your faulty argument look any better.

No. Officers have the duty to apply the law and regulations that dictates one can pay overstay at any office. When not doing that they are omitting to their duty, a criminal offence.

Then regarding the "up to you" sentence I suggest you limit its usage to street talking as it's doesn't make your faulty argument look any better.

the law and regulations that dictates one can pay overstay at any office

Show me that law please

• Like 1

Perhaps I am missing something, but overstays should not happen in the first place. Other than for medical reasons or because you were kidnapped or in jail the rules have always been very clear and the fine has always been in place.

In the recent past it was easy enough to get around and depending upon the individual you were dealing with at the immigration counter you might even slip by without so much as a second look. But that was then and this is now... at least for the time being... and only time will tell if it continues.

But come on... overstays can be avoided. You have to have the responsibility to know when your time in country is up and so need to make tracks for the airport or that bridge across to wherever. For in the end it will only be your fault and the rest of us are paying the price for those who have been abusing the system (or rather lack thereof).

Again, we will have to see what will happen with regards to these new rules over the course of time. But it is not our country and therefore we sort of have to respect their rules no matter how silly, unrealistic, or arbitrary they might seem in our eyes.

• Like 1

] the law and regulations that dictates one can pay overstay at any office

Show me that law please

Show me otherwise.

You are talking about laws and regulations that are broken, so let us know which ones.

The laws and regulations you mentioned before are only in your mind.

You are talking about laws and regulations that are broken, so let us know which ones.

Actually in the minds of all the other border officers that make no issue to over stayers that want to pay and leave, to the rate of hundreds every day.

To the dismay of the serial haters and chronic bile spewers of TV.

That said I'll leave you ranting by yourself for today wai2.gif

• Like 1

Many thanks for the advice to go to Nong Khai. Managed to get there late Monday and cross first thing Tuesday. Took the bus back to Savannakhet and handed in my application for a multi non imm o this morning.

God bless the overstay officer at Nong Khai.

• Like 1

so u went out at Nong Khai and got the visa from Savannakhet?

Where will you go back in?

I will go next week.. 18 months over.. before that 2 TR visas, then 8 months os before that..

Do u think any probs at Nong Khai? Last time i was over the bloke there was a right savage..

Many thanks for the advice to go to Nong Khai. Managed to get there late Monday and cross first thing Tuesday. Took the bus back to Savannakhet and handed in my application for a multi non imm o this morning.

God bless the overstay officer at Nong Khai.

Making the ridiculous inconsistencies of the Thai system work for you. Good for you.

If you gave me all the information about Thailand on paper, told me all the facts about the way their visas and also things like banking are handled I would guess that they don't have computers here. I really would, I would deduce they don't have computers. To this day I am still left wondering why things are so compartmentalized with computers and "connectedness." It really is an odd thing to witness, it is like they have accepted the use of computers, they have gotten that far, but they have not accepted the most basic advantages the computer systems bring with them, like less compartmentalization.

Edited by isawasnake

There's no bus to Nong Khai at this hour.

Bus station is saying go to Udon Thani now and get a bus to Nong Khai in the morning.

UdonJoe, that sounds like an idea. Is that a same day service, do you know?

Udon or Khon Kaen and I think last bus from Bangkok to Nong Khai is at 22:00.

The embassy in Vientiane don't have one day service as far as I know.

Two busses daily from Khon kaen to Vientiane 8am and 15:00 both from the new terminal 3 bus station., however last trip beginning of July tourist police entered the bus and were talking to and taking photos of all passangers, Thai, Lao and farang. Did not ask to see my ID or anything..just happy to practice their English. I do not recall them asking anyone for ID.

I saw that bus at KK aircon bus station (the new no.3). Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that in order to be able to take that direct bus to Vientiane you need to have a valid Laos visa in your passport. Thus, those without still need to get to the bridge by a different means of transport and then do their business at immigration.

Actually in the minds of all the other border officers that make no issue to over stayers that want to pay and leave, to the rate of hundreds every day.

To the dismay of the serial haters and chronic bile spewers of TV.

That said I'll leave you ranting by yourself for today wai2.gif

Paz, you seem to be in favour of breaking the laws which have been in place a long time. That they were not observed for a long time does not matter, the laws were there.

No I am not a serial hater nor am I a chronic bile spewer.

What I am is a married man from the UK with a Thai wife and son and I am retired. I am also law abiding as I find that it is easier to be one as I sleep better at night.

If you wish to ignore or break the laws of Thailand or any other country you must also be willing to accept the penalties if you get caught.

• Like 1

Fly to Laos. Get a new passport. Get a non-imm visa. Return.

Enjoy the holiday while there. smile.png

Surely your name and details are on the Immigration computer system somewhere and if you have a different passport your name will still get flagged up. Also to get a new passport, at least for the UK you need to have a copy of the police report saying that it was lost or stolen and then you wait for 8 to 10 weeks for a new one. It is possible I believe to get a temporary one from the UK embassy in BKK but what it will permit you to do in the way of travel I am not sure. Again you will nbeed a copy of the police report.

For other countries I have no Idea.

Paz, you seem to be in favour of breaking the laws which have been in place a long time. That they were not observed for a long time does not matter, the laws were there.

No I am not a serial hater nor am I a chronic bile spewer.

What I am is a married man from the UK with a Thai wife and son and I am retired. I am also law abiding as I find that it is easier to be one as I sleep better at night.

If you wish to ignore or break the laws of Thailand or any other country you must also be willing to accept the penalties if you get caught.

I don't break any law. If you choose to spend your time here gloating about people that is prevented from paying a fine and leave, accept already not everyone in the world has to think like you.

Edited by paz
  • Like 1

At Mukdahan I also find them very unfriendly, I always feel like to disturb their quiet life when going there...

Nong Khai has always been the best.

I like the more quiet Mukdahan border, never felt unwelcome there, but feel the stress of the officers in Nong Khai,

had serious troubles there with a Passport which had been washed by accident ( warm water)

and had lost some Visa stickers. (Lao, Cambodia, Thailand)

Big lady boss had to come from the Immigration center Nong Khai to the border, an affair!

That my Thai GF was with me and that I have children in TH helped to get me in.

With that sorry looking Passport in same state, I went out / in at Suvarnabhumi Airport,

also in Savannaketh

and got extensions of stay twice in Udon Thani beforehand. whistling.gif

BUT, this is NONG KHAI! I was told, not so easy!

As you can read, finally I am not the only one to think that they are more civilied at Nong Khai <3

Fly to Laos. Get a new passport. Get a non-imm visa. Return.

Enjoy the holiday while there. smile.png

Surely your name and details are on the Immigration computer system somewhere and if you have a different passport your name will still get flagged up. Also to get a new passport, at least for the UK you need to have a copy of the police report saying that it was lost or stolen and then you wait for 8 to 10 weeks for a new one. It is possible I believe to get a temporary one from the UK embassy in BKK but what it will permit you to do in the way of travel I am not sure. Again you will nbeed a copy of the police report.

For other countries I have no Idea.

Why would anyone have his passport "lost" or "stolen" and transport himself into all those nasty databases?? Flying, traveling etc will become a nightmare. A friend forgot his passport in his laundry. When he opened the washer the piece was positively toast. He handed it back to the authorities and got a new one once he had paid the obligatory fee.

Edited by mike2011

Why would anyone have his passport "lost" or "stolen" and transport himself into all those nasty databases?? Flying, traveling etc will become a nightmare. A friend forgot his passport in his laundry. When he opened the washer the piece was positively toast. He handed it back to the authorities and got a new one once he had paid the obligatory fee for a new one.

As mentioned many, many times. there is no need for washing impetus. Most countries allow voluntary replacement of passports. Some country even allow having multiple passports.