Tour of Chiang Rai 2014

BT444

FYI - No one has done this race in the past. The first one was scheduled for last year but was cancelled.

I would love to do this race but not at these prices. Depending on the package and when you commit, the minimum entry fee is 25,000 baht or more. That's more expensive than most races in the west and there is no prize money for any field except the Men's Open race. The Green Mountain Stage Race is one of the biggest regional races in the US and they charge a fraction of what this race will cost. My guess is that the Tour of CR will attract a field of expats from around SE Asia, but few Thais.

I hope it's a success because more racing is better than no racing no matter the price. Good luck if you go. Please report back.

• Like 1

I would love to do this race but not at these prices. Depending on the package and when you commit, the minimum entry fee is 25,000 baht or more. That's more expensive than most races in the west and there is no prize money for any field except the Men's Open race. The Green Mountain Stage Race is one of the biggest regional races in the US and they charge a fraction of what this race will cost. My guess is that the Tour of CR will attract a field of expats from around SE Asia, but few Thais.

I hope it's a success because more racing is better than no racing no matter the price. Good luck if you go. Please report back.

its unlikely ill do it. ur right - the price is nuts.

• 3 weeks later...

I doubt that price applies to the serious thai riders, maybe someone knows? However a better alternative would be the masters tour of chiang mai, looks a little less intensive, alot cheaper and well organised.

The Masters Tour of CM is definitely well organized and cheaper than the Tour of CR, but it definitely won't be less intensive.

I've done the Masters Tour in the past when there were two relatively flat stages but now all 4 stages are hard. The Samoeng Loop, Doi Suthep, a new hilly loop near Sankhamphaeng, and the circuit race is much harder than it looks. There isn't a flat spot on that course.

Making it even harder is the low number of participants. At 1,000 baht per stage, it's close to western races in price. When they went to a 4 day format, many Thais didn't want to take 2 days off from work or pay the high entry fees. Except for the Open Race, most of the participants were farang.

I would still do this race if I was in Thailand in late October, but I'll be doing cyclo-cross racing in the US instead.

If you go, good luck.

• 1 month later...