Buying and maintaining Honda CBR250/500

I viewed a previous thread that suggested the CB500 series bikes can only be purchased from the Bigwing outlets and need to go there to be serviced which is a bit of a pain for me. I then thought of the CBR250 (possibly 300 if it goes on sale). Does anyone have experience with buying and getting one serviced by a local Honda dealer? I do not think I could trust my local dealer to service one properly especially the valve clearence. Best I would probably get is an oil change. Thanks.

Earlier in the year my local Honda dealer told me that the sale and servicing of the Honda 500's was due to be rolled out to the larger dealers nationwide.
Apr/May was when he was due to go 'big'.........still waiting unfortunately but the head mechanic still insists 'soon'.

for cbr250 service at small dealers, no problems.

but i dont get my cbr500r serviced on these small dealers apart from bigwing, maybe only oil changes etc, simple things but never a valve clearance check etc! god bless!

a cbr500 does not require a lot of servicing. Once you get your 1000 km service done, it is every 6000 km or 12,000 km and for these services, you can ride to Bangkok, Chiang Mai or somewhere nice with a bigwing and spend a day with your gf and enjoy the city while your are there for service. Also it might be a leverage to move you to ride your bike for long distances.laugh.png

My understanding is that the valve setup on the 250 is the same as the 500 ie shims. If they cant do shims on a 500 not much chance of getting it done on a 250. Seems either bike would need to be taken to Bigwing for a full service.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I bought my CBR 300 from a local Honda dealer on Nawamin road in Bangkok. Did the 1000 km service at the dealer. No problems yet .

Goo to know. May pop into the deaers in the nearest big town (Nakhon Phatom) and see what they have to offer.

I bought my CBR 300 from a local Honda dealer on Nawamin road in Bangkok. Did the 1000 km service at the dealer. No problems yet .

Goo to know. May pop into the deaers in the nearest big town (Nakhon Phatom) and see what they have to offer.

Ialso bought my cbr 300 from a local dealer in pratham thani.

just got the 1000 km done today.. a trained monkey could do itbiggrin.png

The initial prep of my 250 was done at a local dealer - and you can watch them doing it.  I checked the bike over when I got it home and all seemed OK except for the front tire pressure which was too low.

I also saw them working on other bikes ..... workshop is a bit untidy with tools lying around but they seemed to be OK.

There's quite a few of the 250's around now - so they should get the basics right?

By your description sounds as if you watched them do it? Did they check valve clearance? I only ask as I found an illustrated step by step DIY guide on the Internet and it would appear to be quite a time consuming task.

they never did any valve clearance check at  honda small bike dealers!

yet, it had no problems still funny as they have just listened to the engine and said no need:) as it is not an easy job that will steal at least 2 hours from their work time so they are not fond of doing that.

Sure they will do the same for cbr500r. definitely i dont recommend to get your 500 series serviced at a honda small bike dealer and they dont service cbr250r at honda bigwing big bike dealers.

yet, it had no problems still funny as they have just listened to the engine and said no need:) as it is not an easy job that will steal at least 2 hours from their work time so they are not fond of doing that.
Sure they will do the same for cbr500r. definitely i dont recommend to get your 500 series serviced at a honda small bike dealer and they dont service cbr250r at honda bigwing big bike dealers.

Just on my way back from local Tesco and noticed two CBR300 on show outside a dealer that I have never noticed before. 130k baht with ABS and say they can service it. About to crunch some numbers and maybe pick one up tomorrow.

Thanks all for info.

Final update, bought a CB300F in the end, prefered the riding position.

cool, congrats!

please post your impressions at cb300f thread.

thanks.

Final update, bought a CB300F in the end, prefered the riding position.

cool, congrats!
please post your impressions at cb300f thread.
thanks.

Better ride than my last big bike, GPZ900R, but that was 25 years ago!
Will post after firs service.

• Like 2

By your description sounds as if you watched them do it? Did they check valve clearance? I only ask as I found an illustrated step by step DIY guide on the Internet and it would appear to be quite a time consuming task.

I wacthed them like a hawk.

was just the oil and filter change at 1,000 km

also went over the lights brakes tightened the chain. and checked nuts and bolts were thight

i may be wrong, but im sure valve clearance is done around the 30,000 mark

I made a Chiang Mai to Isan ride one my CBR250 and needed an oil change at Udon Thani. Only the fifth Honda dealer I took it too (small bikes) understood that the bike held 1.6 liters of oil and had an oil filter :)

I was told:

1 No have (filter)

2 One liter oil, no two

3 Not need do now

Its always an adventure :)

• Like 2