Shaving essentials

TimCM

Hi all

Moving back to CM in a few weeks and thought I better cover the big issues.

Does anyone know if you can get Schick Hydro blades in CM or do I need to bring my own supply?

I previously was using the Gillette Fusion and was unable to get blades until about a month before I left last. Do I need to change back so I can get replacement blades is my thoughts.

More important issues to come, stay tuned thumbsup.gif

Some good blades are available here, some aren't.

Sometimes you can get what you want, and then they will disappear from the stores for months or years at a time. Don't take anything for granted, if in doubt, bring your own.

I use Gilette Trac II blades myself, and I have occasionally seen them on sale here, but I always bring them with me when I return from Farangland.

You didn't ask about shaving cream, but I'll volunteer a little information in case you don't know already: The Big C house brand is both good and inexpensive at 69 baht for a small can that lasts me almost two months.

Happy shaving!

• Like 1

Gillette Fusion blades are readily available at Central Chidlom. Kiehl's White Eagle shaving cream is available there too but I haven't seen my favorite, Jack Black's Supreme Cream, on sale there yet. I always stock up when I'm in Japan and bring the blades and shaving cream with me during my winter stays in Bangkok.

• Like 1

Blades and gel are one of the few things I routinely import in my luggage. Gillette prices here (never any offers) are 2-3 times those in the UK (looking out for frequent special offers like BOGOF).

I came across a Schick throwaway 2-blader deep in my cupboards last week and was impressed with its staying power. Must have been an ancient western hotel freeby. So, would also be interested if they are available here. I suspect Gillette cap the durability of their blades to maximise profit!

You can triple the lifespan of a disposable, both cartridge and one-piece, simply by rinsing it off really well after use and drying, then, most importantly, gently STROPPING it 5-6 times on either a leather belt or even your denim jeans BEFORE using the next time. The key word is 'gently.' The weight of the razor only, no pressure. Try it for yourself. No need to worry about angles as the configuration of the razor's head takes care of that automatically! The only mistake you can make is using too much pressure.

Of course you could be like some of us old dinosaurs and use a double edge razor. Hard to find the razors themselves here in Thailand but easy to find good quality blades very cheap. Plus, I travel a lot and never had a problem finding blades in any country I've been to, even the least developed. And I've never had a closer shave.

David

• Like 1