Potential Bike purchaser... Questions ... novice buyer in Thailand

JDGRUEN

I am thinking about buying a motorbike ... motor scooter perhaps up to 400cc.

I know a little about how a bike purchase works in Thailand... price, tax, insurance added up by the dealer in the sales quote... But I am just wondering about what is the actual tax rate and first year insurance cost ... Full cash payment for the bike...

Also - I have heard about having to get an authorization letter from Immigration... can I get such an authorization letter on a Non Imm Multi-Entry 'O' visa? And what would I have to prove up ... address and ?

I see a SYM 400 scooter advertised for under 200,000 Baht... maybe as low as 170,000 - hard to get reliable prices from the Internet listings...

Anyway... I don't know if these kind of prices include tax and insurance?

Any info and ideas from you experience guys would be most appreciated?

Regarding purchase on a Non "o" this is possible and all you should need is the letter of proof of address from the police. This is all I used previously without and problems. On a new purchase you quite often find first class insurance is free or if not haggle as plenty of shops available. I am not that clued up on big scooters but had a go on my friends 300 Honda Forza and was pleasantly surprised.It is big enough to be comfortable for touring and still usable in the city. Think they are about 160,000 baht.

OP, if you're in the market for the Forza Alan mentioned I saw several second hand ones at a shop right between the Kawasaki and Ducati dealers in Ratchapruek. The owner there also spoke decent English if that's something important to you. I have no experience with that shop or know anything else about it other than passing by while checking out the ClubMoto gear shop next door so caveat emptor.. the ClubMoto shop is quite good btw, lots of Dainese / Rev'it / RST / Furygan clothing, Shark helmets, riding jeans etc.

No problem with Non Imm O, you need proof of address, this can be from the immigration (provided you're doing your 90 days reporting), your embassy, or yellow Tabien Baan. I've not tried or heard about the police option but maybe that's also possible. Also note some of the staff at the DLT main office in Bkk has never seen the yellow book and tried asking for a work permit, a WP it is NOT mandatory. They eventually checked with someone and processed my Green book without issue.

I have no experience with insurance for this type of bike, my CB500F has first class which cost about 10,000 Baht (was not free, but sometimes they do have these promotions).

Good luck.