Risks of taking beta blocker 'Inderal' in the long term.

I have the following minor issues with my heart:

- Mitral valve prolapse

- diastolic blood pressure reading often low in 50 range

- slightly enlarged aorta

- mild regurgitation of blood back into the mitral valve- recently diagnosed in echo stress test

- recently diagnosed 'ventricular extrasystole'. by 24 hour holter

I looked on the internet and its suggested that I should take a beta blocker for the last issue. Ive had irregular heartbeats for a while and sometimes weird chest pains I think after taking or drinking vitamin drinks.

1 year ago a dr gave me Inderal 40. Im now starting to take them sometimes but wanted to know if there are any issues about taking them everyday.

I realise I should go to a cardiologist and will aim to do this soon. However, if there are any folk who currently take beta blockers for a long time can you share your experience

thanks

http://www.drugs.com/inderal.html

It would be very ill advised to take a drug like Inderal with the current underlying conditions; especially the very low diastolic pressure which the Inderal will drop further.

It is a complicated cardiac condition and internet based self treatment is not the way to go; see a cardiologist first.

You need to consult a cardiologist, MV prolapse puts you at risk of heart failure, arrythmias and endocarditis. There are varying degrees of severity of prolapse and many people can be totally unaware of it until complications occur.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It would be very ill advised to take a drug like Inderal with the current underlying conditions; especially the very low diastolic pressure which the Inderal will drop further.

It is a complicated cardiac condition and internet based self treatment is not the way to go; see a cardiologist first.

+1

If you want a recommendation for a good cardiologist, advise us of your location.

I took Inderal as well, when I was at university. I found it great for stopping my heart from rattling on or "pounding" as it was initially prescribed to calm my heart rate when I was public speaking.

The downside I had with it was that it affected my ability to do sport that raised my heart rate. Hence for example when I ran I had to control when I took the Inderal otherwise I couldn't get enough oxygenation into me during exercise. Hope this makes sense.

I ended up stopping the drug.