Drive to Sangkhlaburi is it easy?

alien365

Hi all,

I have done a fair bit of travelling in Kanchanaburi, Sai Yok, Erawan etc and next on the list is Thong Pha Phum and Sangkhlaburi. I have read that the road is extremely steep with rugged terrain in this area and so you should hire a driver with a car. Has anyone driven this way before on north end of highway 323? Is it really that bad or is it just an exaggeration? My current car is just a 1.2 Honda (automatic) but this has served me fine driving to other places like Sinakharin which has a few steep inclines. Do you think I will have any problems?

Edited by alien365

Hi alien365,

No, not really as you put it

I have read that the road is extremely steep with rugged terrain in this area

Just a few pot holes that you should miss on this, yes the 323 road after Thong Pha Phum.

Nothing major at all. Been there and back for a numbers of years.

A wee bit bumpy sometimes by the way, with your Honda (automatic) have a  careful eye on the potholes,  and you should be fine.thumbsup.gif

Do not forget to fill your tank up with fuel in Kan,  facepalm.gif and take some food with you as well as a cooler box.

Win whistling.gif

Edited by Kan Win

Thank you, much appreciated. I tend to believe most people exaggerate and so I don't take any notice but I worry one day I will get caught out and look like a complete tit. My luckiest escape so far was driving to the huge tree in kanchanaburi. The road became a mud track and it started to rain. Sliding everywhere. If I had got there five minutes later I wouldn't have got out. Lesson learnt anyway, when I have more money I will buy a pickup!

Sent from my GT-P6800 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app
  • Like 1

I have done the trip well over a dozen times in the past 20 years, both with a regular sedan (i.e. no 4WD) and a motorcycle and never have had any problems with the road. If you drive carefully, navigate the sharp turns slowly, use low gear at the many steep inclines, and watch out for the numerous potholes mentioned by poster Kan Win, you will be fine, too.

The road from Kanchanaburi to Thong Pha Phum poses no challenge at all.

It'll only get rather hilly once you're way past Thong Pha Phum and the Vajiralongkorn reservoir.

Not sure why Kan Win mentioned to take food. There are lots of small restaurants in Sangkhlaburi, and even a few decent hotels or guest houses that serve food. It will be invariably Thai, though, or Mon. So if your body only subsists on western fare you'll be hard pressed to find any in a very remote town like Sangkhlaburi.

it is a good idea to fill the tank up in or around Thong Pha Phum, though. There are very few petrol stations once you get into the hills. However, Sangkhlaburi itself has several.

About 18 km from Sangkhlaburi is the - to Thais - famous Three Pagodas Pass. Nothing much to see there apart from 3 small, crude, whitewashed brick pagodas and a scattering of souvenir stalls selling more or less genuine gemstones from Myanmar and handicraft knickknack. It used to be possible to visit the rather dilapidated Myanmar town on the other side for a fee of 10 US$ (Baht equivalent not accepted), Not sure if it's still possible. But your passport doesn't get stamped, so it is NOT a visa run option.   

• Like 1

My rather paltry 35 litre fuel tank was of some concern especially if I am driving in the lower gears. But as long as there are petrol stations along the way as you mentioned it should be fine.

Regarding food, I love Thai food so all is good there but I will most likely pack a few things in the car for nibbles whilst driving.

I hadn't heard of the Three Pagodas Pass but I will stop by for the family, I have no interest in it but I'm sure they will due to its religious significance. I'm looking forward to seeing Saphan Mon and the sunken temple (Wat Saam Prasob) mostly but I'm not sure if the sunken temple will be visible at this time. Either way I want to get a holiday in before I start work again and continue to see as much of Thailand as I can.

• Like 1

alien365, on 29 Jul 2014 - 19:20, said:

Thank you, much appreciated. I tend to believe most people exaggerate and so I don't take any notice but I worry one day I will get caught out and look like a complete tit. My luckiest escape so far was driving to the huge tree in kanchanaburi. The road became a mud track and it started to rain. Sliding everywhere. If I had got there five minutes later I wouldn't have got out. Lesson learnt anyway, when I have more money I will buy a pickup!

Hi alien365,

Thank you for your post and comments, wai.gif

Was this huge tree in Kan near the Kan, Military Horse Stables used by the Army? and the Tree sigh post was something like "Monkey Tree" as I have been there and fully tarmacked many years ago.

Very interesting post. thumbsup.gif

Win facepalm.gif

Misterwhisper, on 30 Jul 2014 - 18:21, said:

It'll only get rather hilly once you're way past Thong Pha Phum and the Vajiralongkorn reservoir.

Not sure why Kan Win mentioned to take food.

Do not forget to fill your tank up with fuel in Kan,  facepalm.gif.pagespeed.ce.EuN79TyYk_.gif and take some food with you as well as a cooler box.

Well it is up country a bit 200 kms or more, from any Town, and without any proper help so to speak of should you need any.

That is why I posted this.

Hope that answers your question.

Win

Misterwhisper, on 30 Jul 2014 - 18:21, said:

Yes that is true, however, to go to Vajiralongkorn reservoir is NOT on the road to Sangkhlaburi. blink.png

To go to Vajiralongkorn Reservoir, go straight up and past the right turn into to Town Thong Pha Phum , but, turn right and  do some shopping there and feed the monkeys if you like at Vajiralongkorn reservoir. Well we do.thumbsup.gif

Then go back to Thong Pha Phum and hang a right at the only traffic light for miles(kms) , there is only one btw.

alien365, on 29 Jul 2014 - 19:20, said:

Hi alien365,

Thank you for your post and comments, wai.gif

Was this huge tree in Kan near the Kan, Military Horse Stables used by the Army? and the Tree sigh post was something like "Monkey Tree" as I have been there and fully tarmacked many years ago.

Very interesting post. thumbsup.gif

Win facepalm.gif

Hi Win,

Yes it is the tree near the military stables, I went last year. The off road experience came approaching the tree from Nakhon Pathom way. After passing the temple on the hillside it turned in to a red mud track a few kilometers further. I'd only had my new car about 2weeks before this trip but I wasn't going to turn back. I didn't even know of the military horse stable until I came upon it either but I felt a bit nervous realising I was in military territory to which there was no sign it was from my direction: I'm not going to cause any problems to the men with rifles and I wasn't sure if it was a private road. I wish I could say that I heard of the tree by recommendation but I'm afraid I just saw giant tree on Google maps, thought it was a bit peculiar and went to check it out.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

For anyone thinking of visiting Sangkhlaburi  here's  an update from my visit this  week.

Kanchanaburi  to sangkhlaburi  is about 4hr easy drive with occasional  short stops; 3hrs from saiyok noi waterfall.

The road is excellent from kanchanaburi  to the Thong  Pha Phum turnoff.  

It's  about 50 or 70 km (sorry don't  recall  exactly) from TPP to Sangkhlaburi. There's  petrol stations just before the turnoff (road goes straight  in to TPP but the 323 turns off right at traffic lights).

The road from TPP turnoff to Sangkhlaburi is good but a lot quieter; next petrol station is in Sangkhlaburi (a PTT) SO MAKE SURE you have enough petrol!

Road was resurfaced around Khao Laem National park area during our stay.

Kroeng Krawai waterfall and then Pom Pee viewpoint (looks a great place to camp and there's bungalows to rent - the water looked very clean and tempting and was such a spectacular  view over the lake) right next to the road are nice stopping points (same national park ticket can be used at these and other places in the area - b200 farlang  b40 thai).

Just before you get to sangkhlaburi  there is a steep twisty climb but not long and shouldn't  be a problem for any car, then there is a very steep downhill with a concrete lane seperator - very careful here. On the way in to Sangkhlaburi  at the very start of the lane seperator we had two local cars blocking the road, on a blindspot for the traffic behind us, while an old lady changed from one car to the next, and while i sat there waiting / panicking for them to move with visions of a petrol tanker coming round the corner behind me and crashing in to me - ive never seen anything as stupid as this local's manoeuvre ever! On the way up this hill from sangkhlaburi  a truck carrying logs had overturned and blocked the up lane. Dangerous hill!!!

The 20km road (still the 323) from sangkhlaburi  to three pagodas pass is decent and an easy drive. Sangkhlaburi's PTT station is at the three pagodas pass turnoff from sangkhlaburi.

Nice drive; not a difficult drive like you get say near mae hong son and the roads are good.

Sangkhlaburi is a quiet cool place to hangout for a few days. Feels more like being in burma than Thailand. Locals were very friendly and helpful.

Edited by Bredbury Blue
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1