Military officers, ex-senators expected to have strong role: National Legislative Assembly

webfact

To all those who decried Yingluck's lack of experience in politics as she came to take the top job some years ago:

They are filling the cabinet and legislative assembly with soldiers. Are ye worried yet?

Why worry. The skills used to surrender in world record pace can easily be extrapolated to be an expert on management of various political/economic issues coffee1.gif

• Like 1

The National Legislative Assembly (NLA) will mostly comprise of active military officers and former senators

"Even if they are not direct representatives of the people, they have to ensure that there isn't a gap between them and the people,'' he said.

No sweat.

We're all brothers under the skin.

Aren't we?

• Like 2

nong38, on 30 Jul 2014 - 10:27, said:

Lets give them a chance and see how it works out, changes can be made as it goes along.

Hi Folks, 

They, have had their chances, The Military, The Armed Forces of Thailand since 2004. till today, in deep down south of Thailand have NOT stopped the bombs and killing of innocent working folks like teachers, children etc.....each and every day?

Thailand for the last 10 years has surfed enough from this carnage, deep down south. where both Soldiers (Armed Forces) and Police Forces are present.

Why is that, may one ask?

?????????????????????????????????????????????

nong38, on 30 Jul 2014 - 10:27, said:

Lets give them a chance and see how it works out, changes can be made as it goes along.

Hi Folks, 

They, have had their chances, The Military, The Armed Forces of Thailand since 2004. till today, in deep down south of Thailand have NOT stopped the bombs and killing of innocent working folks like teachers, children etc.....each and every day?

Thailand for the last 10 years has surfed enough from this carnage, deep down south. where both Soldiers (Armed Forces) and Police Forces are present.

Why is that, may one ask?

?????????????????????????????????????????????

For the last 3 years the P.M. was the defense minister, Along with the responsible Chalerm,   Now you are asking in 2 months for it to be cleared up???  As you say it's been neglected for so long--(but so was N Ireland)  takes time one can only look at the progress of the last government, now the army are in control so hopefully inroads can be made.

• Like 2

There will be those who will never be happy whoever is there.

If there were a majority from business and academics there would be howls of the old amart, if politicians, more squeals.

Let them get on with things and wait for them to prove themselves or otherwise.

Yeah right,get real man,why don't you try same in your home country and wait and see what will happen with you.Those people holding Thailand in stone age for their own benefit, Untouchables and army kicked out every elected government what tried to take power from them.Now they try Hong Kong democracy so they don't have to worry anymore about real democracy.A constitution what puts certain people above the law is a ........

All very well but was it the elected MPs running the country or someone outside who wasn't elected? I can't see that happening in my country.

I do think there needs to more emphasis on making it look as if these bodies are representative. Is it really the case that when trying to find people for this and the NRC there's such a shortage of suitable candidates that men who've been trained in comat are the best they can find.

NLA members are like people's representatives. They should deliver a quality deliberation speech to set themselves apart from those with ill practices,'' he said.

Is that part of military training here?

Let's hope they can do a good job because in terms of appearance it's not looking good. I have to wonder who's going to take over from them after any election. Maybe they'll stay and the politicians can go and play with the tanks and subs.

So whilst all these high ranking military people will be running the country who is looking after the Military, Somchia the cook?  Let's hope the gauls don't come over hill as the military are busy with other things.

Don't worry it's only the top guys not the ones who do the fighting. If a foreign nation challenges the miltary to a round of golf to decide things then we could be in trouble.  smile.png

Edited by kimamey
  • Like 2

Lets give them a chance and see how it works out, changes can be made as it goes along. I agree it does need to be representative, but how do you define that? From all regions, walks of life?

They have to start somewhere and then refine it as it goes along, so long as they are willing to do that, the people will watch and wait and see how it goes. Naturally there is a lot of military so they keep control to start with and likely sympathetic ex-senators, I would not read to much into that at this stage its what we expected, lets see how it evolvces.

How does one define a representative election?

By basing it on one person one vote nationwide in districts of equal population, monitored by the UN and Asean.

Candidates get nominated by the signatures of 500 voters.

Each candidate can specify his/her vision of the country.

The brass can continue to plunder  administer the country while the representative constitution drafting convention proceeds apart from them.

If the Huns invade I'd be sure the military would drive them back before lunchtime. guitar.gif.pagespeed.ce.Rjd-vqhNlw.gif

I guess the reference to the Huns relates to the alleged plundering ?

Anyway, while the NRC works on the proposal for a new charter with feedback from the Thai population, the NLA will handle the more day-to-day business. 

Lets give them a chance and see how it works out, changes can be made as it goes along. I agree it does need to be representative, but how do you define that? From all regions, walks of life?

They have to start somewhere and then refine it as it goes along, so long as they are willing to do that, the people will watch and wait and see how it goes. Naturally there is a lot of military so they keep control to start with and likely sympathetic ex-senators, I would not read to much into that at this stage its what we expected, lets see how it evolvces.

How does one define a representative election?

By basing it on one person one vote nationwide in districts of equal population, monitored by the UN and Asean.

Candidates get nominated by the signatures of 500 voters.

Each candidate can specify his/her vision of the country.

The brass can continue to plunder  administer the country while the representative constitution drafting convention proceeds apart from them.

If the Huns invade I'd be sure the military would drive them back before lunchtime. guitar.gif.pagespeed.ce.Rjd-vqhNlw.gif

I guess the reference to the Huns relates to the alleged plundering ?

Anyway, while the NRC works on the proposal for a new charter with feedback from the Thai population, the NLA will handle the more day-to-day business. 

Thank you rubl.

I feel so much better now.

Still, you seem to have mixed up the last two sentences of my post.

Catch you later.

So its gone from selecting a group of people representing all sectors of society, throughout the country, to selecting a group of military officers and ex senators.

If the article is accurate it does not exactly sound particularly representative on a national level.

It is NOT a representation of the "people" but a military dictatorship, which appears to be with best intents, but by definition no different from Hitler, Stalin and Mao with Martial Law and police rule. You do as I say or you go to military court! Freedom of speech? Forget about it. Media freedom? Forget about it.

You first chose to support your own from the elite, which by the way have not so far been accused or charged of anything, but only the street vendors and other low lever people in Phuket and Pataya are targeted, then you go to other people that own restaurants for years on the beaches with supposedly legal permits which they based their investment into such properties upon. Grand congratulations Thailand since the returning to "happiness" is mostly against the poor people and farangs, and the rich still get away with everything. What a joyful surprise!!

• Like 2

Lets make it clear the original post mentioned that the NLA (where half are military men) is going to introduce a "better standard of debate" - really? How is a military man going to stand up and criticise his superior officers in a public forum (or is this going to be a secret group discussion with the public and press excluded - very North Korean). The Military has rules - shut your mouth when spoken to, obey orders without question, respect your senior officers they know more than you (like the Charge of the Light Brigade, the Trench Warfare on the Western Front, the Tet Offensive etc etc).
Me thinks this is all going to unravel as time goes on - a number of posters - who I'm sure strongly defend the provision in the US constitution to bear arms - are saying we should wait and give the boys sometime to prove themselves. Well like others have said - what happens if they don't? - what then? - we might all have to pack up and leave.

So whilst all these high ranking military people will be running the country who is looking after the Military, Somchia the cook?  Let's hope the gauls don't come over hill as the military are busy with other things.

Not a problem, after all they are best mates with the Burmese Junta, and they are about the only people who where likely to " come over the hill".

Besides they will have submarines soon!

• Like 2

Not a problem, after all they are best mates with the Burmese Junta, and they are about the only people who where likely to " come over the hill".

So that's where they're going to use the submarines. It all makes perfect sense now.

• Like 1

So that's where they're going to use the submarines. It all makes perfect sense now.

The Subs will be supporting the aircraft carrier. 

• Like 2