VPN service for access to US sites - Netflicks, etc.

Bubbha

I am looking for recommendations for VPN service providers for access to US based sites such as Netflix, and for more secure access to online banking etc. 

I live in Bangkok and use TRUE Online ADSL. Thanks for any recommendations you might have.

You could also check out Hola. It is similar to Zenmate (I think) and also has an Android version. I use it on PC and Android and it works fine for sites such as Pandora and Crackle etc.

I use the Zenmate add-on in Chrome browser, easy to switch location or switch off altogether.  Watched most of the Open golf recently live from the UK with no issues.  They have a USA location also.

Whilst its still free best service that's out there....

I use unblock-us.com.  I need this service, as I can't stand to watch TV on my computer.  I use my computer for things a computer is used for.  I don't use it to consume media like movies or television.  I run a Roku 3 box with Netflix.  It works fantastically.  I am watching Weeds on our 50" TV via Netflix right now using unblock-us.com.  It works great, and it is a hell of a lot cheaper than True Visions for far better content.  Netflix is only the beginning.  There are many other "channels" that I watch using Roku.

I have been using GoTrusted for several years as it works everywhere in the world I have been (and that's a lot of places). It's about 5 bucks a month and has 10 server locations; US (4 time zones), EU (3 time zones), UK, Canada and Asia.

The one that advertises on this forum (Google ads) expressvpn.com is good but they do cost a little more.

+1--have used a couple of years with no issues,lots of U.S. cities.

Lefty

I use unblock-us.com.  I need this service, as I can't stand to watch TV on my computer.  I use my computer for things a computer is used for.  I don't use it to consume media like movies or television.  I run a Roku 3 box with Netflix. ......

Did you need to do any special setup or install to get Unblock-us working on the Roku? Edited by avander

I use the Zenmate add-on in Chrome browser, easy to switch location or switch off altogether.  Watched most of the Open golf recently live from the UK with no issues.  They have a USA location also.

I tried Zenmate and net speed nosedived + 'Gateway closed/timed-out message.  Is it me or them?

I have tried several VPN services,  over the last few weeks,  some are a pain to set up or even install... blink.png

Seem to be having quite good experience with Hola on Firefox, which is free .....  (some will say it is not a true VPN, I don't care as long as it gives me what I need!) thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for all the great replies. I have a 2013 LG smart TV (47LA7400). There is no App for Netflix on this TV.

What would be the best way to try to connect to Netflix......would the following steps work....?

(1) use the browser that LG provides, (2) Log on to a VPN service, and (3) then access Netflix through the browser

Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

HotspotShield.com is free when you use your computer

I have tried to connect to your suggestion AND Unblock.us. com here in Thailand several times since this morning only to get a unavailable sign.  Is the Junta blocking me via TOT?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I use unblock-us.com.  I need this service, as I can't stand to watch TV on my computer.  I use my computer for things a computer is used for.  I don't use it to consume media like movies or television.  I run a Roku 3 box with Netflix. ......

Did you need to do any special setup or install to get Unblock-us working on the Roku?

Yes, I did.  I had to configure the DNS settings on my router because you can't do it on the Roku Box itself.  This is fine with me because any device that connects to the router now benefits from the service.  It was fairly simple.  There are instructions very well presented on unblock-us' website.  I simply followed them!  I had an issue in the beginning because I still had Hola active on my browser, Firefox.  Once I turned it off, everything has been fine and smooth.

HotspotShield.com is free when you use your computer

I have tried to connect to your suggestion AND Unblock.us. com here in Thailand several times since this morning only to get a unavailable sign.  Is the Junta blocking me via TOT?

I just tried and had no problems connecting to their website.  Try the following link:  http://www.unblock-us.com/

@Bubbha,

There are many options for watching Netflix and other overseas content, as the posters here have mentioned. Trickbyte is yet another Smart DNS option, and the CountryVPN website has great write-ups on the topic as well.

As for VPNs in Thailand, Vypr is an excellent performer. If you're looking for a multi-functional solution that can provide all your WiFi devices (eg., AppleTV, SmartTV, Roku, tablets, etc.) an always-on, always secure VPN connection then have a look at this post on using a VPN wireless router in your home or office... http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/747994-freedom-routers-for-thailand-wireless-vpn-networking-solution/

Best of luck.