is it safe to rent a condo in the dark side?

tomtom345

I have rented many places in the area around BigC on Klang.

Never had a problem with any safety issues.

As others have said, no it is not the 'Dark Side'.

I have to admit I never used a Baht bus there. I always used the local m/c taxis and never had a problem with any of those, especially when they get to know your face.

In the main it is quite a friendly area.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've actually been meaning to ask this, just where/what is the 'dark side'? I had a rough idea it was east of Sukhumvit, now not sure?

Start reading wink.png

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/360121-the-darkside-of-pattaya/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/501271-the-dark-side/

Basically it's the east side of Sukhumvit.

thanks

No it is not safe for you,ph34r.png keep out and stay on the other side or hit-the-fan.gif . We don't want any more Foreigners on our Dark Side.drunk.gifeveryone over here iscrazy.gif

Been coming to Pattaya for 12 years now. Stayed just about everywhere.

More than happy 2/3rds of the way up Nurn plub wan on the darkside.Best area I've found so far.

But you need to be a competent driver.Either m/c or car.I have both.I enjoy using my m/c to get around.

In 10 mins can get to most areas.There's not much we haven't got over here.A big supermarket would be nice,but plenty not far.

Been coming to Pattaya for 12 years now. Stayed just about everywhere.

More than happy 2/3rds of the way up Nurn plub wan on the darkside.Best area I've found so far.

But you need to be a competent driver.Either m/c or car.I have both.I enjoy using my m/c to get around.

In 10 mins can get to most areas.There's not much we haven't got over here.A big supermarket would be nice,but plenty not far.

Nurnplabwan the best area on the Darkside, I have never heard that comment though :)

Anyhow, every soi Khao Talo,Khao Noi,Numplabwan and Soi Siam Country Club have their good and bad things. I live for almost 4 years now at the Darkside and more then happy then living there. It suits MY needs the best but its important which suits the best for the OP.

If you prefer living in a condo at the Darkside, they have a brand new condo complex opposite the big fresh market on SSCC, they are building 2 new condo projects on Khao Noi as well, they will be finished probably somewhere next year.

There are lots of farangs on the dark side (called that because of a lack of street lights in the old days). There is zero baht bus service on Siam Country Club Road (SCCR) but there is "red baht bus" service on Nuen Phlab Wan Road from Suhhumvit eastward. A bike or a car is almost a necessity out here.There is a new condo across SCCR from Wanasin Market but do not know the rental rates. I would not advise renting much further out than that. There is a shortage of night life as most of the farangs are older and drift off home before dark. Moonies has decent fish and chips and Top Cool Retreat is air-conditioned,has a few friendly lassies and is a good place to grab a cold one. The Brass Monkey is supposed to be OK. The rest of the places are very slow and usually boring. Crime is no more of a problem out here than anywhere else in Pattaya which means you have to be prudent after dark.

More than happy 2/3rds of the way up Nurn plub wan on the darkside

//

In 10 mins can get to most areas.

Please be serious. The traffic is so horrible most of time in the Dark Side than in 10 minutes you will still be far from Sukhumvit if you intend to go inside Pattaya. I have a friend with a family there, and when he talk about his weekly trip to BigC Xtra he use the word "expedition"... wink.png

We lived on Chaiyapruek 2 for a year (last year) and liked it.

We had a small Tesco near us and it was no longer than 10 mins to the big Tesco on Sukhumvit or 15 to Big C.

Only time traffic was hideous was when there was a big event at the arena thing down the way.

//

Please be serious. The traffic is so horrible most of time in the Dark Side than in 10 minutes you will still be far from Sukhumvit if you intend to go inside Pattaya. I have a friend with a family there, and when he talk about his weekly trip to BigC Xtra he use the word "expedition"... wink.png

Noen Plub Wan traffic is no picnic. From my apartment on the wrong side of the railway tracks, I live just under 2 km from Foodland. But I can be on Buakhao in 10-12 minutes. And I am always at the back of the moto traffic pack. A car would easily double that travel time. Going to Big C Extra would add even more time so yes, it's probably more like an expedition.

I think some of you need to get out and start " Walking " everywhere! There is no excuse as we have an " outdoor climate " perfect for lovely long walks! Or are you just being " Lazy " viewers....?

Sent from my Lenovo S920_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I think some of you need to get out and start " Walking " everywhere! There is no excuse as we have an " outdoor climate " perfect for lovely long walks! Or are you just being " Lazy " viewers....?

It's not an outdoor climate as much as an indoor sauna. I walk way more than your average Farang. I regularly walk all the way from Tuk Com/Friendship down Buakao or 3rd Rd to Big C extra on Klang which is a pretty good hike. Walking over to the dark side is a whole other ball game compared to that. Everything is much more spread out.

Edited by lapd
  • Like 2

It's not an outdoor climate as much as an indoor sauna. I walk way more than your average Farang. I regularly walk all the way from Tuk Com/Friendship down Buakao or 3rd Rd to Big C extra on Klang which is a pretty good hike. Walking over to the dark side is a whole other ball game compared to that. Everything is much more spread out.

We don't have a walker-friendly environment, at all. Walking, which I very much like to do, is as much a trial as riding in the killer traffic. There's rarely any shade, you're ducking and diving the whole route and crossing the major roads is a flip of the coin as to whether you will get to the other side unassaulted. I tend to ride to Klang and park at Big C Extra, then walk to Central or TOPs or Tukcom wherever I have to go. I see quite a few farangs walking too.

I live in Naklua but i walk absolutely everywhere.I sometimes walk to jomtien but most days at least 10 KM. Great weather for being outside and you get a nice tan too! That's one of the great things about living here is that there is no need to be " trapped indoors " only during heavy rain! The more you walk the more you will realize that you don't need a motorbike,its also much more sociable too! and when you are walking you see so many different things! For long distances (over 10km) i would recommend an I Pod fully loaded with some " cool tunes " ( Today's tunes are " Jackie - The long Hot Summer " )

Happy Walking Viewers!

farang jaidee xwai2.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I live in Naklua but i walk absolutely everywhere.I sometimes walk to jomtien but most days at least 10 KM. Great weather for being outside and you get a nice tan too! That's one of the great things about living here is that there is no need to be " trapped indoors " only during heavy rain! The more you walk the more you will realize that you don't need a motorbike,its also much more sociable too! and when you are walking you see so many different things! For long distances (over 10km) i would recommend an I Pod fully loaded with some " cool tunes " ( Today's tunes are " Jackie - The long Hot Summer " )

Happy Walking Viewers!

farang jaidee xwai2.gif

Please explain to me the route you take going from Naklua to Jomtien...lol. That is quite the expedition. Wouldn't be so bad if you could follow the shoreline the whole way but you can't. Also on a hot day that would be brutal. I'm assuming it would be 1 way then baht bus back? I have walked to Naklua and back from Pattaya Tai but always take a baht bus to/from Jomtien. Just going up that hill would be brutal on a hot day and there is no continuous sidewalk. I've gone as far as Kinaree Place and won't do that one again. Not as easy as going the other way from Pattaya Tai because of the hill and more dodging and weaving with no continuous sidewalk.

Edited by lapd

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Happy Walking Viewers!

farang jaidee xwai2.gif.pagespeed.ce.goigDuXn4X.gif alt=wai2.gif width=20 height=20>

Please explain to me the route you take going from Naklua to Jomtien...lol. That is quite the expedition. Wouldn't be so bad if you could follow the shoreline the whole way but you can't. Also on a hot day that would be brutal. I'm assuming it would be 1 way then baht bus back? I have walked to Naklua and back from Pattaya Tai but always take a baht bus to/from Jomtien. Just going up that hill would be brutal on a hot day and there is no continuous sidewalk. I've gone as far as Kinaree Place and won't do that one again. Not as easy as going the other way from Pattaya Tai because of the hill and more dodging and weaving with no continuous sidewalk.

Actually i normally get a baht bus to Jomtien when visiting immigration and then i walk home! I love walking so much ( with cool tunes ) but i regularly take a stroll from naklua to Pattaya Tai ( i like being nosey ....) To be honest i find it much easier to walk on the beach in the sun and then stop for a swim at random moments throughout the afternoon. The Thais don't seem to understand the concept of " going for a walk " they seem to look at me in " absolute amazement " ( i take it as a compliment ) and then blast me as a " farang kineow " .......... 555

//

Please be serious. The traffic is so horrible most of time in the Dark Side than in 10 minutes you will still be far from Sukhumvit if you intend to go inside Pattaya. I have a friend with a family there, and when he talk about his weekly trip to BigC Xtra he use the word "expedition"...

I stick by what I wrote two up on a m/c I can be most places in 10 mins no problem if you are competent. Don't use NPW switch to SSCC if busy.Agree car is not the way to get around at peak periods.I only use when I travel out of the area or if need to carry more than one vistitor.

Viewers!

If you are living in an area such as " Pattaya Plaza " ( similar to Nirun condo but with a massive swimming pool.....) You have absolutely no need to worry about " transport " . You can walk nearly everywhere!

Train Station : 7 mins walk

Bus Station : 10 mins walk

Big C ( Pattaya Klang ) 12 mins walk

The Beach ( 15 mins walk )

At Pattaya Klang you have a foot bridge to cross the motorway!

F.J thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Well I have been " sniffing about " around there quite a few times and a year contract you can get from 5,000 a month private let ( some of the agencies are charging up to 3 times the amount which is ridiculous! ) 5,000 plus water & electric and they charge 500 baht for the WiFi but it is fast!

Any of you chaps in the area use a push-bike? Any problems?Thanks

I love to ride a bicycle here in Thailand.But in Pattaya it's like " Russian Roulette " riding a bicycle as the roads are dangerous enough almost everywhere!

But if you are living ( or thinking about ) on the darkside my advice is to take a stroll down to " Pattaya Railway Station " and the Train arrives from Bangkok at around 10.30 - If you get on board with your bicycle and just a few minutes down the track will bring you to some wonderful country railway stations " perfect for your bicycle " and you can go on your bike ride through the fabulous countryside and then catch the train back about 2 hours later all for about 3 baht each way !!!!!

Good Idea?

Farang Jaideewai2.gif

Any of you chaps in the area use a push-bike? Any problems?Thanks

I love to ride a bicycle here in Thailand.But in Pattaya it's like " Russian Roulette " riding a bicycle as the roads are dangerous enough almost everywhere!

But if you are living ( or thinking about ) on the darkside my advice is to take a stroll down to " Pattaya Railway Station " and the Train arrives from Bangkok at around 10.30 - If you get on board with your bicycle and just a few minutes down the track will bring you to some wonderful country railway stations " perfect for your bicycle " and you can go on your bike ride through the fabulous countryside and then catch the train back about 2 hours later all for about 3 baht each way !!!!!

Good Idea?

Farang Jaideewai2.gif

I heard a few people mention the train (or maybe just one guy) so I looked it up. There is ONLY 1 train a day from Bkk leaving at the very convenient (NOT) time of 7am. Other way it leaves Pattaya at about 2:30pm and gets in Bkk at 6:30. 3rd class (non-aircon only and uncomfortable seats). Oh and also takes twice as long (4 hours) as a bus. In other words train is NOT an option. Why would anyone even mention it? Just because it's cheap??? Can't spare an extra 100baht to get to Bkk a lot faster with aircon and busses every hour??? blink.png

Don't know about going the other way towards Rayong or wherever but doubt many people would care about that either? facepalm.gif

Seriously, it's NOT an option. Why would anyone even mention it? If they ever have high speed trains leaving every hour to Bkk or Airport let us know....mkay.coffee1.gif

There is less than zero reason to even consider the location of a train station on the dark side as a reason to live there. Less than zero. If anything it's a negative because of the inconvenience of waiting for a slow moving 3rd class train to go by.

Edited by lapd

I lived in the area of Big C previously…it was maybe a 5 minute walk for me to get there. The condo was a 1-bedroom furnished place with a pool and cost me 14,000 baht per month for a 1-year contract. My wife and I were very happy with the condo and the area. In fact, we will likely rent in that area again when we move back there. However, as others have pointed out.

I lived in the area of Big C previously…it was maybe a 5 minute walk for me to get there. The condo was a 1-bedroom furnished place with a pool and cost me 14,000 baht per month for a 1-year contract. My wife and I were very happy with the condo and the area. In fact, we will likely rent in that area again when we move back there. However, as others have pointed out.

I've seriously considered that area for the convenience of the Big C Extra Mall and easy to get from Klang to anywhere relatively quick. Haven't found anything all that great around there in that price range and can be a bit noisy anywhere near Klang.

Once again, it's NOT the dark side until you cross Sukhumvit. 5min walk from Big C Extra would not even get you to Sukhumvit. Takes 5 minutes just to get to Foodland.

Edited by lapd

Seems to be a lot of confusion here. The Darkside is everything on the other side of the railway line not just the other side of Sukhumvit.

You appear to be confused......the railway line is the other side of Sukhumvit.

It's quite simple, East of Sukhumvit = Darkside.