is it safe to rent a condo in the dark side?

tomtom345

hi all , is it safe to rent a condo in the dark side several minutes walk from walen the language school and big c?

are most residents in the condos westerners or thais?

and is the area itself dangerous at night?

and are there lots of baht buses in pattaya klang road (central pattaya road)?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The area around Big C Extra is just fine. Lots of farangs around. I walked from there many a night to Buakhao and back. Baht buses a bit slow in the daytime (walked most of the time for the exercise, really) and late at night are somewhat sparse but they do come eventually. In sum, it's a good neighbourhood far enough away from the bright lights but close enough to walk (12 mins to Buakhao).

I live on the Darkside now though because it's cheaper and away from the nightlife.

• Like 1

There are quite a few condos for rent over there with large furnished rooms and a swimming pool from 5,000 baht a month! and only a 15 minute stroll ( with your hands in your pockets ) from Big C on Pattaya Klang. Also quite a good location because you don't need any transport whatsoever as you can walk everywhere ( just like myself ) easy access to the Train Station for regular trips to Bangkok & Si Racha ( 5 baht ).

The area around Big C Extra is just fine. Lots of farangs around. I walked from there many a night to Buakhao and back. Baht buses a bit slow in the daytime (walked most of the time for the exercise, really) and late at night are somewhat sparse but they do come eventually. In sum, it's a good neighbourhood far enough away from the bright lights but close enough to walk (12 mins to Buakhao).

I live on the Darkside now though because it's cheaper and away from the nightlife.

"Lots of farangs around."

Are we actually equating having lots of farang around with the view that that makes the area either nice or safe?

I guess that means that Sunee Plaza and Walking Street are ideal places to pitch your tent??

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

Are we actually equating having lots of farang around with the view that that makes the area either nice or safe?

I guess that means that Sunee Plaza and Walking Street are ideal places to pitch your tent??

Let me point out paragraph 2 in the original post: It was a direct question. I hope that helps.

From someone who has never been to Pattaya, I'm interested to know, why is it called the dark side and when did it gain this notoriety (sp)?

SIMPLE

Years ago, there wasnt much street light, so thats why darkside.Some call it east side, Pattaya is the brightside hahahahahaha. Land is cheaper there, hence cheaper houses overall, but many huge houses too.Rental is generaly cheaper, and seems to have more condo construction too, hence maybe water shortages too.

The place has changed so much in the 12 years i have lived in Pattaya,but too far away from civillisation for me hahahahah.Based on my information, Farangs seem to think it is ok to drink and drive there,how can i get to pattaya sayings.

Edited by Bernard Flint

i find the darkside girls are much more 'accomodating' than the pattaya ones. in fact the best *hands on* fun is to be had in darkside bars, pattaya bars are mostly "you want some drink?" and then back to her mobile phone.......

The only problem I have heard people had was around Budha road. At night there is no traffic there and even when you driving motor cycle still people can attach you on bike. That is where I heard is a bit risky to travel late night. Some dark area could also be dangerous mostly by the dogs not human. So bad think can happen anywhere. If you are so drunk that everyone can notice then you may become a victim of lady boys or others. I advise you not to live on the other side of Suckumvidt it is a nightmare when you want to cross the road with all the speeding cards, trucks and motorbikes.

The only problem I have heard people had was around Budha road.

Where or what is "Budha road"?

If you are so drunk that everyone can notice then you may become a victim of lady boys or others

Beach road is NOT on the Darkside.

I advise you not to live on the other side of Suckumvidt it is a nightmare when you want to cross the road with all the speeding cards, trucks and motorbikes...

post-158247-0-41588800-1406803115.jpg

Edited by Turkleton
  • Like 1

Sounds like a line from a Star Ward movie with Darth Vader telling whats his name Jedi Knight to come over to the DARK SIDE LOL

Safer than many places in the world,but my suggestion would be to have a car/truck.The roads have many pitholes and flood easy. There are many many farangs, and no doubt some good and some bad.

Plenty of baht buses on klang too.

• Like 1

From someone who has never been to Pattaya, I'm interested to know, why is it called the dark side and when did it gain this notoriety (sp)?

SIMPLE

Years ago, there wasnt much street light, so thats why darkside.Some call it east side, Pattaya is the brightside hahahahahaha. Land is cheaper there, hence cheaper houses overall, but many huge houses too.Rental is generaly cheaper, and seems to have more condo construction too, hence maybe water shortages too.

The place has changed so much in the 12 years i have lived in Pattaya,but too far away from civillisation for me hahahahah.Based on my information, Farangs seem to think it is ok to drink and drive there,how can i get to pattaya sayings.

Thanks, appreciate the explanation.

I briefly considered the other side of Suk - I'm not that far from it now - but apart from the odd barking dog I dont have any problems with either traffic noise or rowdy neighbours and there's a lot to be said for that. I often look up at some of the apartments on Pattaya's busier roads and wonder how anyone could live there - I guess it takes all kinds.

When i first came to Pattaya ,,,,i knew someone who lived on the darkside ,there was nothing there but country lanes and fields ,God how its changed , but much better over here than in Pattaya ,but as mentioned before ,best to have transport.