Bangkok temple goes after guy who mocks its merit-by-debit scheme

webfact

It was this sort of thing (the selling of indulgences, etc.) that eventually led to the Reformation (and religious wars) in Europe. Maybe reports like this will prompt Thai Buddhism to clean house.

[Have seen that structure from the air and always wondered what it was ... now I know!]

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TRT and Dhammakaya Temple - perfect match

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2006/09/27/opinion/opinion_30014752.php

Thaksin And Dhammakaya

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/75802-thaksin-and-dhammakaya/

Now that the politics in Thailand have changed, the Dhammakaya Temple may not be given such favorable treatment as in the past. People should be free to criticize any 'so called' religious organization. I, personally, have mocked Dhammakaya for years. I believe they are a cult similar to Scientology and their goal is to build power and wealth and not build 'spiritual' growth. The Internet is loaded with unflattering accounts of this temple and if they are going to go after one man, they should go after all critics.

Edited by rametindallas

"The bank does offer a Dhammakaya-themed debit card to facilitate their merit-making, suited to the lifestyle of merit-needy spiritual seekers short on time for good deeds."

Amazing Thailand.  
Now, with short-time sheep.
What a twisted society...

Bah...Bah... Twisted indeed.

@BillyBob ... Looking at Morakot's pictures, I would say the aliens have landed already.

its a giant nipple. 

oh, Go to LIVELEAK.com and search THAI MONK.

i bet it will hit 1 mil views in a week. there are some sick monks out there. 

(update: lol, this is why you shouldnt wait till morn to post comments.)

Edited by american12bthai

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Thaksin And Dhammakaya

Now that the politics in Thailand have changed, the Dhammakaya Temple may not be given such favorable treatment as in the past. People should be free to criticize any 'so called' religious organization. I, personally, have mocked Dhammakaya for years. I believe they are a cult similar to Scientology and their goal is to build power and wealth and not build 'spiritual' growth. The Internet is loaded with unflattering accounts of this temple and if they are going to go after one man, they should go after all critics.

Your comments suggests that this is not the norm but the exception? 

I don't know why people get all sanctimonious about something so unremarkable. It's just a structure, for a deity lead by someone with more ambition than the leaders of other deities. Not a lot different than any business or enterprise in the world. The fact that they exists can only be attributed to the society that allows it. Ask ten people:

1 - out of 10 people how many of them are corrupt

2 - are you corrupt

Most of them will stay the majority are corrupt - but obviously not them.

What do you think the answer will be when confronted with the fact that all but 1 of the other 9 claimed to be clean from corruption. It surely would be something along the lines of "those cheeky bastards, corrupt to the point they lie about everything.

Why did JVC win the video tape wars with an inferior product than Sony's? 

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Thaksin And Dhammakaya

Your comments suggests that this is not the norm but the exception? 

I don't know why people get all sanctimonious about something so unremarkable. It's just a structure, for a deity lead by someone with more ambition than the leaders of other deities. Not a lot different than any business or enterprise in the world. The fact that they exists can only be attributed to the society that allows it. Ask ten people:

1 - out of 10 people how many of them are corrupt

2 - are you corrupt

Most of them will stay the majority are corrupt - but obviously not them.

What do you think the answer will be when confronted with the fact that all but 1 of the other 9 claimed to be clean from corruption. It surely would be something along the lines of "those cheeky bastards, corrupt to the point they lie about everything.

Why did JVC win the video tape wars with an inferior product than Sony's? 

100% of humans are corrupt; ergo, I am corrupt. It is only the matter of degree that separates people. I'm sorry you think I am sanctimonious. I tend to separate religions by degree of good they do vs how self-serving are they; similar to the way I separate humans into more corrupt/less corrupt.

JVC made a deal with the movie studios to put their movies on JVC's less quality/longer run-time format so, JVC won because their suits were smarter than the suits at Sony. p.s. Sony wouldn't allow pron titles on Betamax VHS would.

Waiting for the day the world gives up on religion. Probably the day that the aliens land.  Would love to see the expression on the pope when he is told aliens have landed.   I'll probably die first.

You got that wrong, it's something about Hell freezing over and pigs start flying :;