30 day Visa Exempt with 12 month Cambodia Visa?

I'm currently in the process of relocating from Bangkok to Phnom Penh. I'm flying to Cambodia in a couple of days to find a place to live and get my 12 month visa. My question is this : Does anybody have any recent ex . perience of getting back into Thailand visa-exempt with a valid Cambodia visa and an address there? I have done two back to back 30 day visa runs recently - before that i was on an ed-visa. Will Thai immigration even care I have a valid Cambodia visa and address? I'd only be back in Thailand for a week or two to tie up loose ends and get the rest of my stuff. Getting a tourist visa in Phnom Penh takes a week and takes up a whole page in the passport which is a pain, not to mention expensive. Any recent experience or advice appreciated.

OP - I have done this. I would say that the 12 month Cambodian visa makes the Thai immigration more relaxed about you entering Thailand. Cambodian address not relevant unless they start to ask a lot of questions (never happened to me but I never stay more than 7 days). It might be a good idea for you to stay at least a week in Cambodia before you return to LOS. Bear in mind that in Cambodia you will soon need a work permit in addition to your ordinary visa (whether or not you are working). Not a big problem to get it but it adds to the cost. Remember to get a one month ordinary visa at the airport then extend as soon as you like at an agency, I use A2Z on st 19, corner st 130, cost 285 USD.

OP - I have done this. I would say that the 12 month Cambodian visa makes the Thai immigration more relaxed about you entering Thailand. Cambodian address not relevant unless they start to ask a lot of questions (never happened to me but I never stay more than 7 days). It might be a good idea for you to stay at least a week in Cambodia before you return to LOS. Bear in mind that in Cambodia you will soon need a work permit in addition to your ordinary visa (whether or not you are working). Not a big problem to get it but it adds to the cost. Remember to get a one month ordinary visa at the airport then extend as soon as you like at an agency, I use A2Z on st 19, corner st 130, cost 285 USD.

Thanks for the info. I'll be there at least a week. I work abroad a fair bit and Cambodia is easier to come and go from. I can't be bothered with all the hassle of Thailand/visas anymore - they should just means test anyone who wants to stay long term, anyhow that's a whole other thread, cheers

• Like 1

I'm in the same situation. Finished my job in Thailand, went to Cambodia, got a 12 month extension, stayed away from Thailand for a week. Been using it to travel in/out of Cambodia a few times. I think the work permit thing there is not a big deal - get it if asked but it's just a case of paying a few extra bucks as you say (well maybe 100 or so) but at least it's easy and then you know you're legal. Again, they are simply enforcing (or at least claiming to enforce) an old law. I believe periodic crackdowns have been the case for years so it's nothing new.

In the meantime I also got a double entry Thai TV, but of course that's no way of long term residence in Thailand just a method of tying me over while starting up my business, doing some travel for a consulting business in the meantime (getting re-entry permits for Thailand of course).

Overall it's very easy to live in Cambodia long-term with none of the nonsense you'll find in Thailand.

Edited by Tomtomtom69

Why do u now need a work permit if not working?

That's a good question, the claim is that the ordinary visa is only available on the basis that you are working. There were articles in the Cambodian newspapers this week that say the authorities are visiting businesses and workplaces in PP to enforce the requirement to have a work permit, they say that the law has been in place for a long time but the "permission" to enforce it only arose on 1 April 2014. It is interesting that these articles (which quote officials) only talk about those who work needing a work permit. However, in Kampot the authorities have been demanding work permits from foreigners regardless of whether they work or not. Cambodia has no provision of marriage or retirement visas, only the ordinary visa (except for special cases such as NGO workers and diplomats). The tricky bit comes when the authorities have been demanding payment for past years ordinary visas that were not accompanied by work permits (again, regardless of whether any work was actually done). Of course, there is no need for a work permit if you come on a tourist visa, but this is only valid for one month (extendable by one further month).