Important changes! immigration rules about ED visa .

This is a notice from a language school

Few changes have been made to ED visa holders:

1. The ED visa will need be extended every 90 days, up to 4 extensions (the option of a 12 months will no longer be available).

2. Second year students will need to leave Thailand and Apply to a new ED visa in a Thai embassy outside of Thailand. (Same as for the first visa).

3. Students with children in their passport will need to pay an immigration fee of 1900 baht for each child who appears in their passport.

My friend told me new rules start from 29 August 2014

Edited by susususu

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just the inconsistency of these rumors show that they can be unsubstantiated or coming from unreliable sources.

First, as BKK mentioned, the most important part, mandatory minimum attendance hours is not there.

Then:

1. No news. Very few private school were accredited to MoE for 1 year visa. Mostly universities are, certainly not the typical 25K/year small school.

2. I have my doubts. No reason why immigration should renounce the 1,900 Bt fee for an admissible extension and let a consulate have it instead. Beside, they can be much more strict at checking paperwork than consulates. 

3. Doesn't have anything to do with ED extension of stay properly. Seems like suggesting that immigration was tolerating not issuing an extensions to dependents  to parents that had them on their passport, but by now most Western countries mandate individual passport for all ages, beside having dependents to overstay was and is a bad idea anyway.

1 year cost now

tuition: 25000B for 200 hours

ED visa 2200B

Visa trip 4500B

Visa Extension 1900Bx1(9 month)

Total 33600B

1 year cost after 29 Aug 2014

tuition 50000B or more for 400 hours if 5 days a week

ED visa 2200B

Visa trip 4500B

Visa Extension 1900Bx3=5700B (3 monthx3 times)

Total 62400B???

OH MY GOD

There are indeed changes being made to extensions of stay based on education, which will be implemented on August 29.

Children always had there need for their own extension, so point 3 of the OP is nothing new.

I don't believe second year studnets need to leave Thailand for a new visa, it is more that certain studies will be limited to only one year of study.

Just the inconsistency of these rumors show that they can be unsubstantiated or coming from unreliable sources.

First, as BKK mentioned, the most important part, mandatory minimum attendance hours is not there.

Then:

1. No news. Very few private school were accredited to MoE for 1 year visa. Mostly universities are, certainly not the typical 25K/year small school.

2. I have my doubts. No reason why immigration should renounce the 1,900 Bt fee for an admissible extension and let a consulate have it instead. Beside, they can be much more strict at checking paperwork than consulates. 

3. Doesn't have anything to do with ED extension of stay properly. Seems like suggesting that immigration was tolerating not issuing an extensions to dependents  to parents that had them on their passport, but by now most Western countries mandate individual passport for all ages, beside having dependents to overstay was and is a bad idea anyway.

Sigh...another "the sky is NOT falling" post.

Well, this time it is.

• Like 1

There are indeed changes being made to extensions of stay based on education, which will be implemented on August 29.

Children always had there need for their own extension, so point 3 of the OP is nothing new.

I don't believe second year studnets need to leave Thailand for a new visa, it is more that certain studies will be limited to only one year of study.

Mario what changes is that?or maybe not nailed yet?

5 days a week is nonsense. I studied university in Australia and I didn't even have to attend 5 days a week doing that. Contact hours were about 10hours a week. I had all my classes on 2 or 3 days every week.

• Like 1

If I want to live a 9-5 and Monday to Friday lifestyle, I wouldn't be living in Thailand.

Well I have been informed by my local language school that to apply for an ED visa moving forward you will have to sign and submit with your application a declaration that you will attend 5 days per week.

So don't go to class....UP TO YOU.  But you will then be in breach of your own written declaration and open to rejection of your next extension application and perhaps even subjected to a juicy fine...

I am a second year student in walen school, I will have my first 3 months extension on my second year on monday, at immigration at Pattaya. (my first year ends on sunday).

I was never said about the need of getting a new visa (my school mailed me today, and nothing was said about that), or having to go out of Thailand. My school also never told me about the need of attending a class everyday of the week. Plus : I never signed something about that.

I understand the new rules will run in August 29th : is it only for new visas ? Or you think I am concerned ? If I am concerned : what will happen, when I will go to get another extension in 3 months ?

This is so so so unclear.

sad.png

Well I have been informed by my local language school that to apply for an ED visa moving forward you will have to sign and submit with your application a declaration that you will attend 5 days per week.

What about old visa holders, as I am ?

Edited by ritoyenne

If I want to live a 9-5 and Monday to Friday lifestyle, I wouldn't be living in Thailand.

So don't go to class....UP TO YOU.  But you will then be in breach of your own written declaration and open to rejection of your next extension application and perhaps even subjected to a juicy fine...

I'm not on an eD visa but I was considering it and I am actively learning Thai language (self taught from internet and from living here). Five days a week is just unworkable. i don't want to live for the weekend. I have other things I like to do during the day time like train muay thai, travel, hang out with friends, etc. Even when I studied university you were not required to attend most classes during the week. I'd be happy to do more study hours a week (because I am legitimately interested in learning), but not 5 days mandatory a week.

"hey Metapod, you want to come wakeboard with us today?"

"sorry I have to study"

One or two days you can work around. Five days is back to slave lifestyle.

• Like 1

I'm not on an eD visa but I was considering it and I am actively learning Thai language (self taught from internet and from living here). Five days a week is just unworkable. i don't want to live for the weekend. I have other things I like to do during the day time like train muay thai, travel, hang out with friends, etc. Even when I studied university you were not required to attend most classes during the week. I'd be happy to do more study hours a week (because I am legitimately interested in learning), but not 5 days mandatory a week.

"hey Metapod, you want to come wakeboard with us today?"

"sorry I have to study"

One or two days you can work around. Five days is back to slave lifestyle.

they are starting to make the elite card much more attractive to us young guys with busy schedules :( Edited by ColdSingha

Exactly, no point, can do that boring thing at home.

But there is always a legal way around a law. There will also be that in this case with the visas. I think people should not worry too much, but let it be up to those, who make a living of this, to provide the people who wish to stay here their visas.

Take it easy, all. All laws are incomplete.

• Like 1

The quality of information about ED visas on this forum deteriorates by day. I am reading it but not really participating so as not to get all the bashing form all the well wishers (haters). Walen School is taking a very good care of our students, if you are a Walen student ask directly at school. 

Walen School - benefit yourself. 

• Like 1

The quality of information about ED visas on this forum deteriorates by day. I am reading it but not really participating so as not to get all the bashing form all the well wishers (haters). Walen School is taking a very good care of our students, if you are a Walen student ask directly at school. 

Walen School - benefit yourself. 

Perhaps there is a role for you to take the lead and improve the quality of information. Not really participating might infer something? I am interested to hear from all the satisfied Walen students that are being so well cared for.

The bottom line is the Ed visa has long been abused and I wonder if Walen are now hurriedly putting their house in order just like all of the other schools?
  • Like 2

Cheap or not cheap - it doesn't matter.

The questions is :

Did students got an ED-visa in the past, for extended periods of time, while they were actually not going to school?

If so, those responsible for organizing this are the reason for the mess the ED-visa system is in now.

Also, in my country, those responsible for organizing visa fraud end up in jail.

Edited by kriswillems

3 different schools in phuket all confirmed that you only need to go 2 days a week for 4 hours a week. There are also many people here that train muay thai or come for fitness goals that take longer then 3 months and they no longer have an ed visa for muay thai or any visa for people with fitness goals.

As for the elite card, the way myself and many others see it is that it is basically ONLY for people who are super rich which would be the minority and the majority would be people wishing to live here long term and work illegaly. For most people a 5 year commitment to one country is just too much especially seeing you have no idea what will happen in the future.

Heard from friend on ED visa that his agent called and told them him that he should be prepared that his visa might be cancelled next time he departs (or when re-enter). The agent had somehow checked with immigration. He did not use Walen or any of the other bigger boys - but a more obscure school. I am guessing they are targeting the "ghost schools" that do not have real set up, classes, licenses Etc. Cheers!

Other schools can take care of their students. After all they are all cheaper than Walen . Tells you something.

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

are you still able advertise this ?

" The best language school for foreigners with effective method of teaching Thai and English. Our students can study languages and stay in Thailand up to 10 years with ED (student)"

• Like 1