August 29 - heavy new penalties await visa overstays: Thai Immigration

webfact

"One nation in particular has all but dumped its under-pensioned retirees on Thailand's already wafer thin social welfare net.  Another nation has seen fit to create mafia state no-go areas in certain parts of Thailand.  Those people need to be gotten rid of, sent back home.  This overstay crackdown is the most effective way of doing it."

I would be very interested to know which 'particular' nations you are TRYING to point your finger at, at a wild guess I will assume the second nation your 'trying' to refer to is Russia, but the first has totally confused me, in any case, why would Thailand's NON-EXSISTANT social welfare net have anything to do with 'under-pensioned retiree's', IMO your an deluded idiot full of BS....

• Like 1

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

where else can you overstay without problems? okay ,Thailand wants a new image. nothing wrong to follow this easy rules. if you are ill go to a hospital for certificate.

The 25 countries considered the European Union, for starters.

Please, falang. Only money is accepted. YOU are not. sad.png

If the rules say a person has to have a visa then why do people get upset when penalties are imposed.     

We have  thousands of illegals in the UK that cost all of us billions each year.

Cost the UK billions...by taking advantage of social services provided by the UK, of which Thailand has zero for foreigners to take advantage of.  So, please explain how it costs Thailand billions of quid then?  Please, be specific and factual.  I'm very anxious to read the breakdown of the numbers.

In before the 29 pages of "but my case is different than the hundreds of others asking about the same thing with the same details as me" posts that are sure to follow.

Of those 70k over-stayers last year (and 30k so far this year) I wonder how many are for over-stays of less than 2-3 days ? TAT claims 26.7 million tourist arrivals in 2013, so 70,000 over-stayers would represent about .0026% of that total (a quarter of 1% of the total). Doesn't seem quite the massive problem requiring draconian measures as it sounded before.

i was one ..had a 2 day over stay due to plane delay over technical problems (plane was not even in thailand)

I heard that this is not a valid "excuse" anymore, they are cracking down even if you are sick with a medical certificate,

It is the total end of tourism and the income collapse of Thai economy.

They simply hate us and don t want to see a foreigner face in their "perfect " country.

"One nation in particular has all but dumped its under-pensioned retirees on Thailand's already wafer thin social welfare net.  Another nation has seen fit to create mafia state no-go areas in certain parts of Thailand.  Those people need to be gotten rid of, sent back home.  This overstay crackdown is the most effective way of doing it."

I would be very interested to know which 'particular' nations you are TRYING to point your finger at, at a wild guess I will assume the second nation your 'trying' to refer to is Russia, but the first has totally confused me, in any case, why would Thailand's NON-EXSISTANT social welfare net have anything to do with 'under-pensioned retiree's', IMO your an deluded idiot full of BS....

IMO you should push your fat gut away from the bar and sober up.

Please, falang. Only money is accepted. YOU are not. sad.png

If the rules say a person has to have a visa then why do people get upset when penalties are imposed.     

We have  thousands of illegals in the UK that cost all of us billions each year.

Cost the UK billions...by taking advantage of social services provided by the UK, of which Thailand has zero for foreigners to take advantage of.  So, please explain how it costs Thailand billions of quid then?  Please, be specific and factual.  I'm very anxious to read the breakdown of the numbers.

It is all the opposite. Thailand gives ZERO to foreigners, instead Thailand milks the money of all foreigners who are spending their money in Thailand.

An economical collapse is unavoidable. With the ripple effect, there will be billions and billions of baht which will be lost.

Who is going to come to a country where if you don t swim with your passport you are arrested (and tortured, because i have never heard of a people arrested in Thailand who has not been horribly tortured too). It's an absolute reign of TERROR in which in any moment you can be arrested, beaten and tortured without any right to do anything.

If you carry your passport on the beach , in 30 seconds it will be stolen. If your passport is stolen and you are stopped, you will be jailed anyway, because you fail to produce it. Every foreigner is a hated enemy. Nobody would like to go to a country like that.

Who would have thought that when a country is taken over by a nationalistic army coup that foreigners would be targeted.... not the ones originally supporting it obviously. Open your eyes everyone, this is what happens.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

He added that starting from August 29, foreigners who failed to produce their passports would be fined up to Bt20,000 and jailed for up to two years.

The above STATEMENT should be taken with a pinch of salt. Nobody in their right mind would impose these kind of penalties on any foreigner in ANY Country on the Planet. This is surely a wind-up. Many people don't like taking their passports everywhere in case it gets lost and the implications are plenty if it does (or even stolen).

I wholly suspect this is just another ploy to up the anti on these tv topics to increase the advertising revenue and to trick everyone into getting heavy on their personal woes and suffer severe backlash that is implemented by the disciplinarian cronies. Thus, agreeing with whatever takes their fancy as per usual and dog anyone who is not in agreement. 

Lets wait to the 29th and we'll see it is all a loada Bull !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nowhere except Thailand, where foreigners are hated to death. The biggest human rights violator in the planet is capable of this and more.

Than remember what happens in jail to the farangs: Thai inmates who beat farangs in jail in a Muay Thai fight (it means they could beat you to death) are rewarded and freed because it is a matter of national proud-

Whoever swims without his passport inside the sea is signing his potential death sentence.

Insane anywhere in the planet, even in Myanmar, Somalia and North Korea, but not in Thailand.

Edited by max72

Thailand went full-retard. It's a challege to find the right words for the amount of stupidity that is here.

I have been googling other countries almost daily for when I liquidate my belongings here and take my 500,000baht savings + my salary wages to a new country that wants me. No it's not a lot of money. But I think many other people are thinking of doing the same and even the smallest pebbles make a ripple in a vast body of water.

I haven't decided where to go quite yet though. ^_^

Thailand went full-retard. It's a challege to find the right words for the amount of stupidity that is here.

I have been googling other countries almost daily for when I liquidate my belongings here and take my 500,000baht savings + my salary wages to a new country that wants me. No it's not a lot of money. But I think many other people are thinking of doing the same and even the smallest pebbles make a ripple in a vast body of water.

I haven't decided where to go quite yet though. happy.png

Good luck ..I respect that if you are not happy here...to move on...better than staying here & whining about everything bad about Thailand....

Many good places to go...let us know where you end up?

• Like 1

99.99% of them will follow you. Living in a TERROR is not the dream of a vacationer. I usually spend 20-30K for every holiday in THailand, but since i don't want to be jailed, tortured and killed in jail for not carrying my passport inside the sea while swimming, I will choose another country.

Thais simply hate foreigners , they would like to see all us dead, this is the reality, but in few months when famine and starvation will be widespread allover the country, it will be too late to go back.

Please do remember you are only allowed to take 50,000 baht out of the country with you. 

MikeN, on 31 Jul 2014 - 13:09, said:

He added that starting from August 29, foreigners who failed to produce their passports would be fined up to Bt20,000 and jailed for up to two years.

So where is this Immigration officer from ? Hua Hin Immigration "clarified" that it was up to 2,000 baht for not carrying your passport, but now this guy is obviously not on the same page as Hua Hin immigration ....20,000 baht or 2,000 baht for not carrying your passport ?

It was up to a 2,00 baht fine for not carrying your passport. (Hua Hin only)

The new statement regards foreigners who fail to produce their passports.

There is a significant difference in these statements.

99.99% of them will follow you. Living in a TERROR is not the dream of a vacationer. I usually spend 20-30K for every holiday in THailand, but since i don't want to be jailed, tortured and killed in jail for not carrying my passport inside the sea while swimming, I will choose another country.

Thais simply hate foreigners , they would like to see all us dead, this is the reality, but in few months when famine and starvation will be widespread allover the country, it will be too late to go back.

unless I am the 0.01% I doubt your 99.99% figure...but maybe many of the long time  "overstayers" will be gone.

I carry a photocopy with me all time ..when traveling Thailand I always use it for hotel,rooms exchanging money...never had a problem..not saying I couldn't have a problem tomorrow...but I don't worry about it.

Yeah many people are unhappy with Thailand...no democracy,no freedom,corruption,dirty streets..everything is bad...definitely they should leave...no sense to be here & be unhappy.

Personally I like Thailand..better now with Military in power than democracy was ...probably most Thai will say the same.

I'm not leaving..as to you thinking Thai hate foreigners..I can only guess you never had a good holiday here...time for you to move on..you'll feel better.

UPDATE

Good news: No need to worry says Bangkok Immigration Commander

xvoravat-amornvivat.jpg.pagespeed.ic.R3E

BANGKOK:-- [thaivisa.com] After the confusion surrounding the news that all foreigners in Thailand are required to carry their passport with them at all times, Thaivisa.com has today obtained official clarification on this matter.

Full story here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/747736-no-need-to-worry-says-bangkok-immigration-commander/

Exactly. These crackdowns create a lot of uncertainty and that is very bad for business.

UPDATE

Good news: No need to worry says Bangkok Immigration Commander

xvoravat-amornvivat.jpg.pagespeed.ic.R3E

BANGKOK:-- [thaivisa.com] After the confusion surrounding the news that all foreigners in Thailand are required to carry their passport with them at all times, Thaivisa.com has today obtained official clarification on this matter.

Full story here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/747736-no-need-to-worry-says-bangkok-immigration-commander/

Thxs to ThaiVisa for getting clarification...but as I was reading the link The Immigration Commander did say “It’s about being reasonable and using common sense”.

Unfortunately for many posters on TV that's impossible to comprehend whistling.gif

In before the 29 pages of "but my case is different than the hundreds of others asking about the same thing with the same details as me" posts that are sure to follow.

Of those 70k over-stayers last year (and 30k so far this year) I wonder how many are for over-stays of less than 2-3 days ? TAT claims 26.7 million tourist arrivals in 2013, so 70,000 over-stayers would represent about .0026% of that total (a quarter of 1% of the total). Doesn't seem quite the massive problem requiring draconian measures as it sounded before.

i was one ..had a 2 day over stay due to plane delay over technical problems (plane was not even in thailand)

I heard that this is not a valid "excuse" anymore, they are cracking down even if you are sick with a medical certificate,

It is the total end of tourism and the income collapse of Thai economy.

They simply hate us and don t want to see a foreigner face in their "perfect " country.

they are cracking down even if you are sick with a medical certificate,                                          NOT true

It is the total end of tourism and the income collapse of Thai economy.          cheesy.gif 

They simply hate us and don t want to see a foreigner face in their "perfect " country               the want you to respect the law.

this country is getting more ridicules by the day

Maybe Immigration did read the posts of several farangs who wrote that they would intentionally break the law, by not carrying their passport, and, if caught, would pay the 2000 baht fine (in the Hua Hin same subject thread).

With a fine of 20,000 and prison the same farangs might well suddenly find an empty pocket suitable for their passport :)

It's funny how the farang community applauds the army removing chairs and umbrellas from their favorite beaches - because the "law is the law" -, and then cry fool when immigration makes them follow the law themselves (law that they of course question)(in this highly disturbing case)(at least for them)...

I never lost my passport in 14 years in Thailand. And I carry it everywhere... Strange.

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Maybe you should spend some of that money to see a doctor.

• Like 1

max72, on 31 Jul 2014 - 17:51, said:

lust, on 31 Jul 2014 - 17:47, said:

Wow! I bet it's difficult to pronounce or spell the problems you have.

Paranoid................ Schizophrenic? Am I getting close? 

Wait! Don't do it, the good news is out. Common sense has prevailed. You can visit Thailand without worry now.........until the famine  cheesy.gif

Seriously.....are you taking medication?

The only difference here is the fines and prison sentence.

The same rules re Original Passport have always been there, so as your visa info can be checked in the original passport, not a copy that could have been changed. Or a drivers licence that has the passport number in it but no visa particulars.

In relation to drivers licences having your passport number in it.

These are not always true, as in some cases such as mine.

I had a 5 yr licence and needed a new passport 3 yrs later.The new passport had a different number.  I paid no attention to the passport number on the licence.

When I renewed the licence on the 5th yr, I had to take the new passport with me to the rego/licence office and they pointed the problem out and told me I should have changed my car and bike licence when I got the new passport. No action was taken, but was warned.

This may be something you all might want to check if you recently renewed your passport.

• Like 1

I think it reasonable to obey the law regardless of the country you find yourself in.
I know it's not very fashionable to be a law abiding citizen. Lots of people regard it as a weakness, and several 'libertarians' I have met, particularly in Thaailand, believe that the majority of laws should be flouted
Some respondents here regard 70,000 as a small number of 'discovered' or 'declared' understayers as inconsequential.
Perhaps they feel the 40,000+ deaths on the road each year are also insignificant compared to the 60+ million population
Anyway I think it's a heck of a lot of overstaying, and there should be measures taken to reduce it drastically
Perhaps overstays up to two weeks could be dealt with by a sliding scale of daily fines, but beyond two weeks much heavier penalties should be introduced
As has already been said, many of the longer term overstayers are undesirables in one way or another, and should be weeded out

I had a 5 yr licence and needed a new passport 3 yrs later.The new passport had a different number.  I paid no attention to the passport number on the licence.

When I renewed the licence on the 5th yr, I had to take the new passport with me to the rego/licence office and they pointed the problem out and told me I should have changed my car and bike licence when I got the new passport. No action was taken, but was warned.

This may be something you all might want to check if you recently renewed your passport.

Do you know if this is official government policy, or just the opinion of your local office?

Bangkok Immigration Commander says no need to worry. This is in the visa section of TVF.

What a stuff up, the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.

I hope he broadcasts his comments to all other Immigration offices and Police in Thailand.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/747736-no-need-to-worry-says-bangkok-immigration-commander/