August 29 - heavy new penalties await visa overstays: Thai Immigration

webfact

70,000 overstayers in one year. That puts things into perspective somewhat! Good riddance to the beach bum pot head scum bags that give the law abiding visa legal folk a bad name!

LOL first time ive been called that...even when i ran my business here the 50+ staff none never called me that? (most prob much worse)

I hope you never miss your flight, get ill or heaven forbid have a flight cancelled due to some unforeseen problem like ...MH17.......remember over stay in only 48 hours

I've never quite understood why so many wait until the last minute to take care of their visas. So you do your visa paperwork a week early... If you're civil the immigration agent will most likely post date so you don't lose those precious 5 days worth of visa time. But even if you do lose them.... so what?

If one waits for the last minute there is that much more chance of having one of those issues you just talked of......

• Like 1

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exceeding one's permit to stay in the kingdom for more than 90 days is just snubbing one's nose at the law and the authorities. A 10 year ban for such actions is inadequate. Life long blacklisting would be much more fitting for these unsavouries.

Snubbing ones nose at the law, well thats me then I was mugged robbed and knocked unconscious ended up in hospital for 4 months and had several operations to try and save my sight I lost my sight permanently in one eye and my surgeon would not let me fly because of the cabin pressure so I had to stay in Thailand [ at my own expense no government assistance ] and the day after I was told my eye pressure had improved enough to fly home I was all set to fly home when stopped at immigration I did explain my situation but was told I should have got a letter from my surgeon stating my condition but no one mentioned that to me at the hospital but I was happy just to pay the 20000 just to escape from my hell in Thailand that is my story of being an unsavoury and I wish the same as I got on to you.    

Thanks for your wishes. But I am learned enough to know a doctor's certificate in such a situation is a must. Back to rookie school for you.

Sorry to remind you guys, but.....
What that spokesman said, was just an advice to the Interior Ministry.
Please understand that this law can only be enforced after being rubber-stamped.
TV please explain how you know the date of the implementation of this law?

I am staying here as a non visa tourist for 30 days (holiday from Australia, I just got stamped at the airport). I came here two years ago and had a wonderful time. This time I came here and find the bars close at 3am, the same as my nanny state country Australia. No worries I think, I can still have a good time and I'm only drinking this one time in 3 weeks. Well, the police came in and closed the place down at 2am. On the way back to catch a taxi on the main road I was stopped by police and the first thing they said was "where's your ID?" (Ahh yeah it's a great I idea to go drinking and dancing in a crowded club with your passport in your pocket instead of the motel safe). Then I had to empty my pockets. I only actually found out about the new PP rule earlier in the Night, it's no excuse I know, just giving context for my situation.

I only mention this because the first thing he said was "where is your ID." So I'm guessing the police have new orders to check non Thais. As I was emptying my pockets and he was asking for ID for the third time I said in a very friendly smiley manner "oh yes I was at Glow bar and now I'm just looking for a taxi to get back to my hotel." I think the language barrier coupled with some polite diplomacy saved me further trouble.

I really love Thailand and I find the Thai people whom I have met "off the beaten track" to be some of the nicest kindest people I have ever met. I respect the fact there is a situation in Thailand and I will follow all rules. However the rules are different depending on which Thai government website, consular site or press release I read doing my research for either Visas or new foreigner rules.They want to run with the big dogs and keep everyone in line, act like a first world country yet, they can't get their story straight and coordinated.

I have decided to leave early and take my fat tourist dollars somewhere else where I'm not getting searched by police because I'm a foreigner. I'm off to Laos to relax, because that's why I go on holiday, to relax and stay out later than I do in my home nanny state. Also their (Laos) visa rules are simple and the same on every website I visit to cross check information. Amazing huh? Considering Toursim is 20% of GDP, you think they might treat us better or at least get the rules straight so we know. It's just a shame it's the small vendors and operators who get harmed the most. Edited by hillecine
  • Like 1

Sorry to remind you guys, but.....
What that spokesman said, was just an advice to the Interior Ministry.
Please understand that this law can only be enforced after being rubber-stamped.
TV please explain how you know the date of the implementation of this law?

Yes I'd be interested to know where this dictum (it's not a 'law', it's yet to be on any statute books and is to be handed down by a military dictatorship who, by definition, are unable to make 'laws'), date of 29th and NOW, as of yesterday's postings, 25th came from?

Never had a problem at Immigration - although as I say I have not been out of Thailand for a few years - however I have had problems a few times at hotels here when checking in:

Receptionist wants to see my Passport but I show the Residence Permit instead - because I know my "blank" Passport will confuse them.

"No, no!" says she, "I do not know this paper, must show Passport".

Big sigh from me because I know what will happen :

"OK, here's my Passport" I say.

Big smile from the Receptionist ............. until she searches the Passport :

"Why you no have Immigration Stamp and Card!!??"

The Manager is called and another 15 minutes of my life is canned!

All usually ends in good humour however, but once in Mae Sai the Police were actually called!

Patrick

Would it not make life simpler, to take your old & new passports down to your local Immigration-office, and have the stamps transferred-across, a free service IME ?

Never had a problem at Immigration - although as I say I have not been out of Thailand for a few years - however I have had problems a few times at hotels here when checking in:

Receptionist wants to see my Passport but I show the Residence Permit instead - because I know my "blank" Passport will confuse them.

"No, no!" says she, "I do not know this paper, must show Passport".

Big sigh from me because I know what will happen :

"OK, here's my Passport" I say.

Big smile from the Receptionist ............. until she searches the Passport :

"Why you no have Immigration Stamp and Card!!??"

The Manager is called and another 15 minutes of my life is canned!

All usually ends in good humour however, but once in Mae Sai the Police were actually called!

Patrick

Would it not make life simpler, to take your old & new passports down to your local Immigration-office, and have the stamps transferred-across, a free service IME ?

It isn't about old and new passports. The PR system is different. We have our passports, along with a separate Thai Permanent Resident book. We don't need visas unless traveling out of Thailand. Therefore, most of us hold resident books with expired visas. However, to the normal hotelier or cop on the beat, it looks like we are in Thailand illegally.

The fact is, with only 100 from each country issued each year, and from what I read on TV none being issued for several years, PR's aren't something authorities see all that often.

Of course, we could go to Immigration and pay the THB 1900 each year for one year visas, but one of the benefits of getting the PR in the first place is so we don't have to do that.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand
  • Like 1

On the topic of ID cards, would it not be convenient if on arrival after passing through immigration you could go to a machine swipe you passport and it would print you a temporary ID card? 

Not exactly rocket science...

I am staying here as a non visa tourist for 30 days (holiday from Australia, I just got stamped at the airport). I came here two years ago and had a wonderful time. This time I came here and find the bars close at 3am, the same as my nanny state country Australia. No worries I think, I can still have a good time and I'm only drinking this one time in 3 weeks. Well, the police came in and closed the place down at 2am. On the way back to catch a taxi on the main road I was stopped by police and the first thing they said was "where's your ID?" (Ahh yeah it's a great I idea to go drinking and dancing in a crowded club with your passport in your pocket instead of the motel safe). Then I had to empty my pockets. I only actually found out about the new PP rule earlier in the Night, it's no excuse I know, just giving context for my situation.

I only mention this because the first thing he said was "where is your ID." So I'm guessing the police have new orders to check non Thais. As I was emptying my pockets and he was asking for ID for the third time I said in a very friendly smiley manner "oh yes I was at Glow bar and now I'm just looking for a taxi to get back to my hotel." I think the language barrier coupled with some polite diplomacy saved me further trouble.

I really love Thailand and I find the Thai people whom I have met "off the beaten track" to be some of the nicest kindest people I have ever met. I respect the fact there is a situation in Thailand and I will follow all rules. However the rules are different depending on which Thai government website, consular site or press release I read doing my research for either Visas or new foreigner rules.They want to run with the big dogs and keep everyone in line, act like a first world country yet, they can't get their story straight and coordinated.

I have decided to leave early and take my fat tourist dollars somewhere else where I'm not getting searched by police because I'm a foreigner. I'm off to Laos to relax, because that's why I go on holiday, to relax and stay out later than I do in my home nanny state. Also their (Laos) visa rules are simple and the same on every website I visit to cross check information. Amazing huh? Considering Toursim is 20% of GDP, you think they might treat us better or at least get the rules straight so we know. It's just a shame it's the small vendors and operators who get harmed the most.

Driving north of Chiang Mai went through 3 checkpoints and none asked me for my passport. That may change of course.

I have decided to leave early and take my fat tourist dollars somewhere else where I'm not getting searched by police because I'm a foreigner. I'm off to Laos to relax, because that's why I go on holiday, to relax and stay out later than I do in my home nanny state. Also their (Laos) visa rules are simple and the same on every website I visit to cross check information. Amazing huh? Considering Toursim is 20% of GDP, you think they might treat us better or at least get the rules straight so we know. It's just a shame it's the small vendors and operators who get harmed the most.

Driving north of Chiang Mai went through 3 checkpoints and none asked me for my passport. That may change of course.

Double post but unable to delete.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

On the topic of ID cards, would it not be convenient if on arrival after passing through immigration you could go to a machine swipe you passport and it would print you a temporary ID card? 

Not exactly rocket science...

Just get the traveller to fill out and extra piece on his TM slips and stamp them both with his date of departure.

There it would be, a piece of paper stamped and signed with his immigration status and name and particulars which can be carried in a wallet.

Check the name against a driving licence for photo and Dada, no need to carry a passport.

In the past 32 years I have been in Thailand, these crackdowns come and go. I have hardly ever carried my passport with me during that time as it is impractical. There is the problem of damage to it if you keep it in your pocket due to humidity, rain and then there is Songkran. I have Thai driving licence with my photo and passport number. On the few occasions I have been asked for I.D. by police, I offer to produce my passport at the police station but have never been asked to do so. I carry just a photocopy just in case. I am not going to carry my passport at all times and am sure from previous experience that I will not have a problem provided I can produce my passport within 24hours at a local police station.

Since my post a Senior Immigration Officer confirmed that you do not have to carry your passport with you at all times. It should be kept in a safe place and produced if requested.

Thailand went full-retard. It's a challege to find the right words for the amount of stupidity that is here.

I have been googling other countries almost daily for when I liquidate my belongings here and take my 500,000baht savings + my salary wages to a new country that wants me. No it's not a lot of money. But I think many other people are thinking of doing the same and even the smallest pebbles make a ripple in a vast body of water.

I haven't decided where to go quite yet though. happy.png

99.99% of them will follow you. Living in a TERROR is not the dream of a vacationer. I usually spend 20-30K for every holiday in THailand, but since i don't want to be jailed, tortured and killed in jail for not carrying my passport inside the sea while swimming, I will choose another country.

Thais simply hate foreigners , they would like to see all us dead, this is the reality, but in few months when famine and starvation will be widespread allover the country, it will be too late to go back.

What a load of twaddle.Do you swim with your 30,000 baht smart phone too???

Thailand went full-retard. It's a challege to find the right words for the amount of stupidity that is here.

I have been googling other countries almost daily for when I liquidate my belongings here and take my 500,000baht savings + my salary wages to a new country that wants me. No it's not a lot of money. But I think many other people are thinking of doing the same and even the smallest pebbles make a ripple in a vast body of water.

I haven't decided where to go quite yet though. happy.png

99.99% of them will follow you. Living in a TERROR is not the dream of a vacationer. I usually spend 20-30K for every holiday in THailand, but since i don't want to be jailed, tortured and killed in jail for not carrying my passport inside the sea while swimming, I will choose another country.

Thais simply hate foreigners , they would like to see all us dead, this is the reality, but in few months when famine and starvation will be widespread allover the country, it will be too late to go back.

I think its YOU that has gone full retard!!

You DON'T have to carry your passport around with you - got it??

I bet you buy 12 loafs of bread and 10 gallons of water 2 days before a public holiday in case all of the supermarkets run out of these staples simultaneously!!

Are you normally this daft!!! Beyond belief!!!

• Like 1

Have to like the apocalyptic scenario he paints = doesn't want to go swimming without passport and risk being tortured and killed = in a few months famine and starvation has somehow gripped the entire country. Because that's what foreigners are right now-  the last line in defence against a deadly famine. 

mellow.png

• Like 1

Is the 29th August confirmed as the starting date ?

Seems that way according to the headlines - if you don't declare any overstay by then and they arrest you then the penalties will be much harsher.

Edited by SICHONSTEVE

I come here every other month as a genuine tourist looking only to ease my rheumatism and enjoy time with my girlfriend, in that 30 days I can spend more than Baht 100,000 in hotels and restaurants etc. I have never overstayed,I don't see the point, but with what is happening over the visa situation I am beginning to wonder if it is all going to be worthwhile taking the risk that if I turn up at the airport only to find that my plane is not waiting for me causing me to be an overstayer through no fault of my own I will automatically be fined Baht 20,000 and for the first time in my 68 years spend two years in prison, and then be banned from re entry to this beautiful country.
General,in essence you are doing a good job but you are about to shoot your countries entire tourist industry in the proverbial foot, it is already down by 10.37% and that is since you took over! And then add the tourist loses when the demonstrations were going on,20% or more if I remember correctly.
You are surrounded by countries who are offering a good wholesome tourist welcome without the stupidity about to be perpetrated here,Yes you do need to stop the illegal deliberate overstayers but it would be foolish beyond belief to cover us all with the same paint brush.

As an aside it would indeed be interesting to actually see the numbers regarding the nationalities of these '' long term over stayers.'' One wonders just how many of them  might be of western origin i.e. farangs.

People are perhaps seeing wrongly a witch hunt against one specific group of people as opposed to a wider range of people who  are ''overstayers'' who probably blend into the local community without any problems at all and have no need of a sunburn camouflage.

You know judging by the tone of the posters here saying how stupid these new laws are it's not hard to figure this out. Let's just assume it was non farang maybe african or chinese people doing it oh sure no problems they would cheer but the minute you see that this isn't the case as proven in this thread by the posters you know they are farang.

"One nation in particular has all but dumped its under-pensioned retirees on Thailand's already wafer thin social welfare net.  Another nation has seen fit to create mafia state no-go areas in certain parts of Thailand.  Those people need to be gotten rid of, sent back home.  This overstay crackdown is the most effective way of doing it."

I would be very interested to know which 'particular' nations you are TRYING to point your finger at, at a wild guess I will assume the second nation your 'trying' to refer to is Russia, but the first has totally confused me, in any case, why would Thailand's NON-EXSISTANT social welfare net have anything to do with 'under-pensioned retiree's', IMO your an deluded idiot full of BS....

IMO you should push your fat gut away from the bar and sober up.

JFYI I don't happen to have a fat gut, in fact I am in very good condition for my 48yrs, considering I used to work out on a regular basis for my Nightclub Doorperson night job (which means I can still pack a very hard punch when needed to), I don't live in Bangkok, Phuket or Pattaya & am very seldom in any bar and even rarer still am I ever drunk. So before you go make assumptions about somebody (or different nationalities for that matter) try getting your facts straight first, douchebag....

I come here every other month as a genuine tourist looking only to ease my rheumatism and enjoy time with my girlfriend, in that 30 days I can spend more than Baht 100,000 in hotels and restaurants etc. I have never overstayed,I don't see the point, but with what is happening over the visa situation I am beginning to wonder if it is all going to be worthwhile taking the risk that if I turn up at the airport only to find that my plane is not waiting for me causing me to be an overstayer through no fault of my own I will automatically be fined Baht 20,000 and for the first time in my 68 years spend two years in prison, and then be banned from re entry to this beautiful country.
General,in essence you are doing a good job but you are about to shoot your countries entire tourist industry in the proverbial foot, it is already down by 10.37% and that is since you took over! And then add the tourist loses when the demonstrations were going on,20% or more if I remember correctly.
You are surrounded by countries who are offering a good wholesome tourist welcome without the stupidity about to be perpetrated here,Yes you do need to stop the illegal deliberate overstayers but it would be foolish beyond belief to cover us all with the same paint brush.

Janner, you think too much, once you get to the airport you are on International grounds, if you really think they would fine you 20,000Baht, jail you for 2yrs AND ban you from re-entering, just because your flight home was delayed at it's previous destination, then you really are a very deluded man....do you really think Immigration is that stupid? (no need to answer that, this is Thailand ;-) )

• Like 1

If you flight is delayed, they have a booth where they can stamp you a few days for you to go to a hotel or back home . I don't know how many days they give but I would not be surprised to see 7 days extra at no cost.

Of course they don't send people to jail for that and you don't have to sleep in the transit area neither. So relax! Edited by bitcoinman