Thailand not a haven for foreign criminals

webfact

Thailand not a haven for foreign criminals
By Digital Content

14067141418816.jpg

BANGKOK, July 31 -- Thailand will not serve as a save haven for international criminals on the run, according to a top police officer.

Pol Gen Wuthi Liptapanlop, advisor to Thailand's national police commissioner, said French national Jonathan Piant was arrested recently on Koh Samui, Surat Thani's famous tourist site.

According to Gen Wuthi, the suspect fled prosecution in France for smuggling 750 kilogrammes of marijuana worth 3.5 million euros from Spain into France in early 2012 and had been trying to hide out in Thailand.

In July the Thai authorities scored on a number of other arrests of international concern, the top cop said.

Wanted under an Interpol warrant issued in August 2005, Hungarian Antal Racz was arrested in Hua Hin on suspicion of shooting two persons to death and seriously wounding 14 others, by gunfire and hand grenade is what Gen Wuthi described as a family feud. A Hungarian court sentenced Mr Racz to life imprisonment, but at some point he escaped to Thailand.

Italian Francesco Galdell was arrested at Bangkok's Dusit Thani Hotel last Friday. A Milan court wanted him for fraud, acceptance of stolen objects, impersonation, selling pirated goods and copyright violation.

In another case, four Taiwanese nationals Chang Chia Wei, Wang Yi Chieh, Wu Yu Shuo and Chen Li Yen were arrested for allegedly being part of a 21-member call center scam in Phnom Penh. Taiwan and Cambodian authorities earlier arrested 13 suspects in the gang in the Khmer capital. (MCOT online news)

[tna]2014-07-31[/tna]

• Like 1

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

saakura post # 3

Glad that they at least recognise the fact that international criminals are living here openly due to and are taking steps to kick them out. 

It is good to see though, in fact heartwarming that some of those ''criminals'' are now establishing new bases in France with their family members so as to escape this draconian crackdown designed to eliminate the lax laws and corruption.whistling.gif  

• Like 1

Last year using information I found on TVF, Google and Bing I cobbled together an estimate ('guestimate') of the number of Westerner foreigners who live in Thailand.  The number I came up with was around 550,000.  Add to that another 100,000 to 150,000 'other'  (Asian, African, assorted islanders, etc.) and my 'guestimate' comes to 650,000 to 750,000 foreigners who are living permanently or semi-permanently in Thailand.  

If my numbers are anywhere near correct, then the few hundred hard core criminal types who stay here is not such a horrible figure compared to the total.   And - especially not so bad when compared to the total numbers of tourists who arrive weekly.

Note: I do not pretend my estimates are without flaw.  And I do not recall the sources - I would have to do the searches all over again.  But - I would sincerely like to see better estimates if anyone has them.  The Thai Government has them - but I do not believe they are published ... that would be helpful if they were of course.   Such an accurate number would be useful in comparing the impact of foreigners living in Thailand to the total population of 65 million or so of Thai Citizens on any given subject.   Plus such an accurate figure would be helpful in discussing Thai Immigration policy. 

Edited by JDGRUEN
  • Like 2

Pattaya houses the most crooks most have bars on walking street in cheesy.gif case you didn't know Just open your eyes watch where the Aussie's, Russian's and Some American ex-pats hangout at. If looking for the Nigerian crooks go to there church in Bangkok ton's of them there from Card skimmers to credit card fraud, Oh and especially drugs. Mules come in rat holing them.

• Like 1

If you live in Pattaya you will probably never see a farang criminal......they all live in Hua Hin, Koh Samui and Pooket.   biggrin.png

True about Samui...Many Farang Criminals.... And Mafia Farang Along with the Thai side. Hoping the Military will do a Big cleaning on Samui Soon 

• Like 1

Maybe if the Immigration Dept used the Interpol list as a check on incoming "visitors" they might reduce the numbers. The other list they might want to integrate all the immigration systems not have them as stand alone computers, and check passport numbers against the lists of known stolen passports. This would take a little bit of IT understanding and would remove the discretion of the individual at the border.

I think that the Thai gov. has a phobia about using Interpol ... just ask Mr. T

• Like 1

Maybe if the Immigration Dept used the Interpol list as a check on incoming "visitors" they might reduce the numbers. The other list they might want to integrate all the immigration systems not have them as stand alone computers, and check passport numbers against the lists of known stolen passports. This would take a little bit of IT understanding and would remove the discretion of the individual at the border.

I think that the Thai gov. has a phobia about using Interpol ... just ask Mr. T

I aint gettin' on no plane fool..........

• Like 2

Hungarian Antal Racz was arrested in Hua Hin on suspicion of shooting two persons to death and seriously wounding 14 others, by gunfire and hand grenade is what Gen Wuthi described as a family feud. A Hungarian court sentenced Mr Racz to life imprisonment, but at some point he escaped to Thailand.

Possibly to pursue a career in politics?

:)

Not sure what everybody else thinks but personally I am very very happy about the recent moves by Thai authorities to get rid of the foreign scum in this country. 

Visa runs are an abuse of the immigration system. You want to stay here? Get a non-immigrant visa. You want to work? Get a work permit. 

It's too hard? Go somewhere else. You don't have any other skills than your ability to speak English? Tough luck.

As for criminal scumbags, we can only welcome Thailand's decision to crack down hard on them.

I hope the ED visas are next. What a scam. You think you can bypass immigration laws by paying a corrupt cop to procure you an Education visa? Those days are coming to an end. 

Thailand will do just fine without you.

And now take the blinkers off!

So, we kicked out all the backpackers. 

Please explain, who is "we"? Unless you hold a Thai passport I would imagine you like me are a guest in the Kingdom of Thailand and really don't have a say in the matter. Suggesting Thailand excepts criminals is pretty irresponsible don't you think. It's people with this kind of attitude which there are thousands of in Thailand are what the authorities need to get rid of. For some reason most people with attributes as shown above seem to come from one small island in Europe. 

Edited by Hobiecat
  • Like 1

By the time they appear on Interpol they are already here and hiding out, immigration likely have a record of them arriving but that's it, hence the recent crackdown and enforcement of immigration law that most here seem to be bitching about

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

If you live in Pattaya you will probably never see a farang criminal......they all live in Hua Hin, Koh Samui and Pooket.    alt=biggrin.png>

True about Samui...Many Farang Criminals.... And Mafia Farang Along with the Thai side. Hoping the Military will do a Big cleaning on Samui Soon 

I think they should send all the farang criminals back to Farang, where ever that is.