Thai police: Smart phones and digital cameras will be used to catch traffic offenders

webfact

Smart phones and digital cameras will be used to catch traffic offenders

7-30-2014-10-40-38-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Traffic policemen have been told to use their smart phones or digital cameras to take pictures of cars or motorcycles which violate traffic laws and then send the pictures and tickets to the violators.

Pol Maj-Gen Adul Narongsak, deputy commissioner of metropolitan police in charge of road traffic, explained Wednesday that the use of smart phones or digital cameras by traffic policemen was just a temporary measure to supplement the shortage of surveillance cameras to monitor traffic.

Budgetary constraint, he said, has held back the plan to increase the number of surveillance cameras. However, he added that there are more than 4,000 traffic policemen and they can enforce the traffic laws as good as the CCTV.

The deputy commissioner disclosed that he would prefer a road space being spared at traffic lights for motorcycles to stop in front of cars rather than being squeezed between rows of cars but that could not be made possible because it was against international regulation.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/smart-phones-digital-cameras-will-used-catch-traffic-offenders/

[thaipbs]2014-07-31[/thaipbs]

So what's to stop a cop snapping a pic of a passing vehicle and making up some alledged offence?
Much preferable to have something definite on cctv or triggered by sensors.
As for international rules prohibiting m/cycles being allowed to the head of a queue.....lmfao
  • Like 2

"Smart phones and digital cameras will be used to catch traffic offenders"

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif Smart Phones have been used a long time ago already ,... Recorded By ordinary citizens...

Just look at Facebook pages like "You-Like" and "You-Clip" and you will see plenty of traffic offender videos, crazy chicks gang beating the crap out of innocent victims" and all sorts of other domestic crap violence going on in Thailand all day long... Edited by MaxLee

"The deputy commissioner disclosed that he would prefer a road space being spared at traffic lights for motorcycles to stop in front of cars but that could not be made possible because it was against international regulation."

Since when has Thailand cared for or been bothered about international regulations?

If such were the case, then why would a deputy commissioner prefer something which is indeed against international regulations, and for good reason?

Oh! I forgot. He's Thai.

• Like 2

"The deputy commissioner disclosed that he would prefer a road space being spared at traffic lights for motorcycles to stop in front of cars rather than being squeezed between rows of cars but that could not be made possible because it was against international regulation."

A strange comment as this is already present at nearly every intersection in Phuket. I seem to remember it when I visited other parts of Thailand too. Is it not nationwide?

All incidents - including any fines must be videoed AND the "accused" must be allowed to video too.

Stop curruption by the poor ON the poor.

(Yes the main problem is middle and high level curruption)

Excellent idea! Additionally, give a phone number to John Q Public so we can all send photos of the folks driving their cars through red lights and blocking intersections. I actually had a woman roll down her window recently and tell me it was ok for her to break the law and block the intersection "because I'm driving a Mercedes!!!". Ugh.

Sent from my GT-I9082 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I think this happens in other countries.

A sort of yellow? grid for bikes only.

AND a bikes priority turning light - but maybe one step at a time.

"The deputy commissioner disclosed that he would prefer a road space being spared at traffic lights for motorcycles to stop in front of cars rather than being squeezed between rows of cars but that could not be made possible because it was against international regulation."

A strange comment as this is already present at nearly every intersection in Phuket. I seem to remember it when I visited other parts of Thailand too. Is it not nationwide?

I noticed a policeman with a GoPro camera on his helmet this morning. He is one of the ones who is supposed to stop cars from parking at the Bang Wa BTS station. I think he got tired of people simply speeding away as he approached.

I think it's a good idea if they use it correctly. Video proof is hard to refute.

Sent from my ASUS_T00I using Tapatalk 2
  • Like 1

Excellent idea! Additionally, give a phone number to John Q Public so we can all send photos of the folks driving their cars through red lights and blocking intersections. I actually had a woman roll down her window recently and tell me it was ok for her to break the law and block the intersection "because I'm driving a Mercedes!!!". Ugh.

Mighta been ok if she was driving an armoured Hummvy... but just an ole Benz... Nah, screw that!

I noticed a policeman with a GoPro camera on his helmet this morning. He is one of the ones who is supposed to stop cars from parking at the Bang Wa BTS station. I think he got tired of people simply speeding away as he approached.

I think it's a good idea if they use it correctly. Video proof is hard to refute.

Sent from my ASUS_T00I using Tapatalk 2

In the future all vehicles will be fitted with cameras to settle disputes and for insurance reasons, some countries are doing this informally I believe.

"... to take pictures of cars or motorcycles which violate traffic laws ...."

Cars and motorcycles don't violate traffic laws - people do. This policy is like blaming a gun for being used in the commission of a crime instead of the person using it.

And I wonder how receptive they'll be to John Q. Public using HIS smartphone or digicam to photograph the policeman in action...

'Don't think police in the U.S. were/are that thrilled with the idea.  You can definitely get told to stop, or even arrested, but it's not clear to me what the state of the art is these days on dismissals of charges and unsuccessful convictions in case you should refuse. 

Wifey got stopped yesterday for not stopping at the white line when the T/L changed to red. The traffic ahead was blocked but she was the last in the queue and didn't get across as the lights changed. 

The officer was completely different. Young , very smartly dressed, saluted as we opened the window and politely explained what she had done wrong. Of course she explained the light was green but the traffic block didn't clear before they changed. He was totally uninterested in her excuse and reminded her what the orange light was for and not to try and cross if there was a block. 

200 baht fine, in the office with correct official receipt detailing the offence and the officers. All handled professionally and efficiently.

This was at a major intersection in Pathumthani. Many care, truck and motor cycle drivers were being pulled over and fined officially for doing something wrong.  A very different attitude.

• Like 1

Wifey got stopped yesterday for not stopping at the white line when the T/L changed to red. The traffic ahead was blocked but she was the last in the queue and didn't get across as the lights changed. 

The officer was completely different. Young , very smartly dressed, saluted as we opened the window and politely explained what she had done wrong. Of course she explained the light was green but the traffic block didn't clear before they changed. He was totally uninterested in her excuse and reminded her what the orange light was for and not to try and cross if there was a block. 

200 baht fine, in the office with correct official receipt detailing the offence and the officers. All handled professionally and efficiently.

This was at a major intersection in Pathumthani. Many care, truck and motor cycle drivers were being pulled over and fined officially for doing something wrong.  A very different attitude.

I don't know what the law is in Thailand, but I remember in Drivers Ed (U.S.) specifically being taught that it's not enough for the light to be green.  The intersection must be clear or you must be able to proceed through it without delay as well.  So even if you enter the intersection on a green light, if you get caught within the intersection after the light has gone red due to a line of traffic or any other obstruction, it's a violation.  In the US it would certainly cost a whole lot more than 200B!!   I actually see most drivers being pretty good about stopping at the line when they see it's not clear to the other side.   Not at all what I usually observe in Thailand when police aren't manually directing traffic, not in Bangkok anyway.  (Well, for that matter, it's not uncommon to see tail end charlies ignoring red lights completely, blocked intersection or no, anyway.)

• Like 1

"...but that could not be made possible because it was against international regulation."

What is that?

Since when have Thai cared about what the international community thinks?

They don't understand Thainess...

Spoonman, on 31 Jul 2014 - 08:07, said:

Yeah cant see them putting their call on hold to take a picture to be honest.

To be effective they would need the camera "on" permanently, as it normally takes a few seconds to open the camera, by then the offender will be gone, Leaving it on will then drain the battery very quickly, which means the smartphone will need to be on charge, therefore taking even longer to take a photo, once again, then offender will be gone. Looks like the "smartphone" is smarter than the police.

Spoonman, on 31 Jul 2014 - 08:07, said:

To be effective they would need the camera "on" permanently, as it normally takes a few seconds to open the camera, by then the offender will be gone, Leaving it on will then drain the battery very quickly, which means the smartphone will need to be on charge, therefore taking even longer to take a photo, once again, then offender will be gone. Looks like the "smartphone" is smarter than the police.

I'm guessing all they'll need most of the time is a photo of the vehicle & plate - not an actual photo or video record of the violation (which I'd think really would be hard to do most of the time if we're talking about moving violations).  The officer just saying so will cover that part of it...

"... to take pictures of cars or motorcycles which violate traffic laws ...."

Cars and motorcycles don't violate traffic laws - people do. This policy is like blaming a gun for being used in the commission of a crime instead of the person using it.

No it's not.  This is just you being unnecessarily pedantic.

LOL, another hi-so from the shallow end of the gene pool.  cheesy.gif cheesy.gifcheesy.gif  

It's great driving a Benz. 

In fact my main reasons for purchasing one was to thumb my nose at lesser motorists and to avoid having to obey any of those pesky rules that should only apply to poorer individuals.

I don't even have to stop at zebra crossings when pedestrians are trying to cross any more. I just speed through the red light.  

I love this. Make sure that it is enforced in BKK only. Never mind the brain dead unconscious bastards up in the Issan area who do this crap everyday here. And make sure that when they purposely hit you and don't stop because"you farang" nothing happens to the brain dead unconscious Thai bastard. Edited by Alan653

iReason, on 31 Jul 2014 - 12:14, said:

"...but that could not be made possible because it was against international regulation."

What is that?

Since when have Thai cared about what the international community thinks?

They don't understand Thainess...

This is NO such thing as "international regulations," every nation sets it's own policy, in fact in some nations the individual states/provinces set their own. Life would certainly be easier if there was an "international" standard.

hawker9000, on 31 Jul 2014 - 12:24, said:hawker9000, on 31 Jul 2014 - 12:24, said:

Rorri, on 31 Jul 2014 - 12:16, said:Rorri, on 31 Jul 2014 - 12:16, said:

Spoonman, on 31 Jul 2014 - 08:07, said:Spoonman, on 31 Jul 2014 - 08:07, said:Spoonman, on 31 Jul 2014 - 08:07, said:

I'm guessing all they'll need most of the time is a photo of the vehicle & plate - not an actual photo or video record of the violation (which I'd think really would be hard to do most of the time if we're talking about moving violations).  The officer just saying so will cover that part of it

Are you suggesting they need to stop the vehicle first...lol...good luck on that happening, that's not how the story goes. If they "stop" the offender, then they can ticket them immediately.

Edited by Rorri