House Republicans vote to sue President Obama

webfact

If you are aware of how it works and why the two bills were attached, why ask such a sophomoric  question?

Because it's about time the American people started asking that type of question.

The whole system is a farce.

You only have to go through Boehner's "jobs bills" to see that.

Many American people do ask that sort of question.  They are called Tea Party members.

To put your outrage in perspective at this expenditure of $250 million for Israel's Iron Dome defensive system, let's play with some numbers.

The federal budget for 2014 fiscal is pegged at $3.77 Trillion, give or take a few billion.

Using $3.77 trillion as a benchmark, the federal government spends $250 million every 34 minutes and 51 seconds, 24 hours per day, 365 days per year...including national holidays.

Why, heck.  Setting up the Obamacare website cost over four times that much and it didn't shoot down anything but the reputation of Obama's administration.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you are aware of how it works and why the two bills were attached, why ask such a sophomoric  question?

Because it's about time the American people started asking that type of question.

Many American people do ask that sort of question.  They are called Tea Party members.

To put your outrage in perspective at this expenditure of $250 million for Israel's Iron Dome defensive system, let's play with some numbers.

The federal budget for 2014 fiscal is pegged at $3.77 Trillion, give or take a few billion.

Using $3.77 trillion as a benchmark, the federal government spends $250 million every 34 minutes and 51 seconds, 24 hours per day, 365 days per year...including national holidays.

Why, heck.  Setting up the Obamacare website cost over four times that much and it didn't shoot down anything but the reputation of Obama's administration.

I do know the numbers, really not relevant to the point is it? Or are you saying that since it's only $250 million no-one should be concerned about it?

It should not be quietly squirrelled out of the back door because a few Jews have a big voice in US politics - especially at a time when America's popularity in the Arab world is taking a pounding because said Jews are using US money to slaughter civilians, much to the ire of most of the Arab world. It doesn't just damage US relations, it damages regional stability at a time when it's already in quite a mess.

Yet the same people that vote for this will be the ones bleating about how Obama is damaging America's relationships overseas.

You can't make it up.

Bush junior was even dumber than Reagan, and at least he had senility and dementia as an excuse.

There, I have to disagree.  He is incredibly intelligent.

.....New York Times columnist David Brooks says Bush "was 60 IQ points smarter in private than he was in public. He doesn’t want anybody to think he’s smarter than they are, so puts on a Texas act......But all this just goes to show that raw intelligence is overrated. Bush was smart. Plenty of the people around him were smart. But he was a bad president.....These are stories about how smart people can lead themselves and others down the wrong paths. To a large degree, they wouldn't be able to do it if they weren't smart, but that just proves that not all mistakes are dumb, and that being smart isn't the same thing as being wise, right or capable....

Source:http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/04/24/george-w-bush-wasnt-dumb-but-he-was-still-a-bad-president/

There are hundreds of similar articles, but this one summed it up pretty well.  IMO, his biggest mistake was trusting his father's frustrated cronies. 

Edited by impulse

Americans are too busy trying to find couches which are wide and sturdy enough to support heavy loads. Each week is focused on going to SS office or welfare, to make sure they're still qualified (falsely) for receiving uninterrupted Federal money. All else if fluff in their view.

That's all Americans is it?

...about 77%

I do know the numbers, really not relevant to the point is it? Or are you saying that since it's only $250 million no-one should be concerned about it?

It should not be quietly squirrelled out of the back door because a few Jews have a big voice in US politics - especially at a time when America's popularity in the Arab world is taking a pounding because said Jews are using US money to slaughter civilians, much to the ire of most of the Arab world. It doesn't just damage US relations, it damages regional stability at a time when it's already in quite a mess.

Yet the same people that vote for this will be the ones bleating about how Obama is damaging America's relationships overseas.

You can't make it up.

Since when did you become concerned about America's popularity in the Arab world?

How can you possibly claim it was being "quietly squirrelled (sic) out of the back door because a few Jews have a big voice in US politics"?

A few posts ago you seemingly didn't even know how legislation was enacted and now you apparently make some wild claim about secrecy.

Bills being voted on are matters of public record.  If they are not reported on in the main stream media, it is because the media doesn't want to report it.

Now you can blame the "Jewish media" for not reporting it to your satisfaction. 

As hard as you try, you can't blame this one on the Republicans

• Like 1

A few posts ago you seemingly didn't even know how legislation was enacted and now you apparently make some wild claim about secrecy.

Perhaps you misunderstood my meaning.

Or maybe I should remind you about those "jobs bills" I went through for you, when you were telling me that the nasty Senate were blocking the Republican's attempts to "create jobs".

Shall I go and find that post for you?

.... but I don't see any Dems (or their supporters) whinging about Obama's supposed failings in foreign policy.

rolleyes.gif

Why would the Dems or their supporters complain?  He's spent the last six years traveling around the US to fund raisers securing millions for their reelection coffers.  

They're smart enough not to bite the hand that feeds them.

With your one very simple 17 word quoted post above, you have proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that you are totally misinformed on politics and political action in the US.  

Stick to Parliament and you won't have me to worry with.

PS:  If you want to find your jobs bill post, go for it.  Whatever floats your boat.wai2.gif 

• Like 1

.... but I don't see any Dems (or their supporters) whinging about Obama's supposed failings in foreign policy.

rolleyes.gif

Why would the Dems or their supporters complain?  He's spent the last six years traveling around the US to fund raisers securing millions for their reelection coffers.  

With your one very simple 17 word quoted post above, you have proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that you are totally misinformed on politics and political action in the US.  

PS:  If you want to find your jobs bill post, go for it.  Whatever floats your boat.wai2.gif 

Perhaps uneducated voters is the problem.

wink.png

A truly thrilling days work can be read here:

http://docs.house.gov/Committee/Calendar/ByEvent.aspx?EventID=102609

Meanwhile I had to laugh at the use of direct language from the Subcommittee on Government Operations (Committee on Oversight and Government Reform)

Hearing: "Planes, Trains and Automobiles: Operating While Stoned"

biggrin.png

Edited by Chicog

rolleyes.gif

Perhaps uneducated voters is the problem.

wink.png

You got that one right.

Romney warned us about them when he said there were 47% of the voters who always voted Democrat and there was no need for him to try and sway their votes.

He was right as well.clap2.gif

• Like 1

So 12 million new Hispanic voters should just about seal the Republican party's fate then.

whistling.gif

And in that short sentence, you have nailed the reason the Democrats are trying so hard to pass some form of clemency for the 12 million law breakers.

Surely you didn't believe it was about anything else did you"

I don't really believe Obama can grant voting privileges for them but the Democrats have always been rather infamous for leniency in voters rights.  

Without voter ID laws, which AG Holder is fighting tooth and nail, they can all pull the lever for the Democrats.

Chicago politics at its best.

What I have trouble wrapping my poor feeble brain around is...during Obama's first term in office, he had complete control of both houses of Congress for the first two years and elected not to pass some sort of immigration reform more to his liking.

Now he's blaming Republicans for his lack of action from six years ago and the media is lapping it up.

• Like 2

No, I'm under no illusions - Britain's labour party did exactly the same thing to try and permanently buy a few million votes. Of course they've turned the UK int s*** in the process.

As for him not doing it 6 years ago, haven't we just been discussing how each of these politicians has their own paymasters and their own agendas?

None of them seem to give much of a stuff about anything other than keeping their snouts in the trough.

Has there been any major immigration legislation since 2005? I can't see any, but I can remember the illegals issue being discussed years back.

• Like 1

Some interesting comments on Boehner's latest witch hunt law suit:

"Writing in the New England Journal of Medicine, Timothy Stoltzfus Jost and Simon Lazarus explained in May why the president's move to postpone the implementation of the employer mandate (ie, the requirement that businesses with 50 or more employees provide approved health plans) is not exactly tyrannical:

The ACA is a massive law, imposing hundreds of requirements on federal agencies and private entities. Many provisions of the law have “effective dates” by which they were to have been put into effect. Although the vast majority of these provisions have been implemented on time, it has not been possible to meet all deadlines because of a variety of factors. These include limited resources for implementing the law (Congress has failed to appropriate any funds for this purpose since the ACA was passed in 2010), the consequent need to prioritize the use of available resources, technological limitations (including the consequences of the problematic website launch), the need to phase in the implementation of various provisions in an integrated and rational sequence, and the need to avoid unnecessary disruption of employment and insurance markets.

Basically, the employer mandate isn't ready for implementation, argue Messrs Jost and Lazarus. More work is needed to ensure it works—and that's "not uncommon” when it comes to rolling out big new regulatory schemes, they add. For example in 2003 George Bush postponed unpopular aspects of the Medicare Modernisation Act and limited enforcement of some parts of the law. Mr Obama is not breaking any new ground here."

http://www.economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2014/08/lawsuit-against-obama

Edited by Chicog

So 12 million new Hispanic voters should just about seal the Republican party's fate then.

whistling.gif

And in that short sentence, you have nailed the reason the Democrats are trying so hard to pass some form of clemency for the 12 million law breakers.

I don't really believe Obama can grant voting privileges for them but the Democrats have always been rather infamous for leniency in voters rights.  

Without voter ID laws, which AG Holder is fighting tooth and nail, they can all pull the lever for the Democrats.

What I have trouble wrapping my poor feeble brain around is...during Obama's first term in office, he had complete control of both houses of Congress for the first two years and elected not to pass some sort of immigration reform more to his liking.

Now he's blaming Republicans for his lack of action from six years ago and the media is lapping it up.

In the 2000 election G.W. Bush got 35% of Hispanic votes.

In 2004 attaboy Bush got 40%, an improvement of 5%.

In 2008 Sen John McCain from a state that borders Mexico and Latin America got 31% of the Hispanic vote.

In 2012 Willard Mitt Romney whose father was born in Mexico got 27% of the Hispanic vote.

The voting pattern is the same for Asian Americans.

The Republican party in the United States has sh*t the bed with ethnic minority Americans and almost all minority group Americans.

The Republican party has chosen to make itself the party of white southern citizens and Rocky Mountain state residents (excepting Colorado) along with a significant number of TVF posters.  clap2.gif

whistling.gif

In 2008 Sen John McCain from a state that borders Mexico and Latin America got 31% of the Hispanic vote.

In 2012 Willard Mitt Romney whose father was born in Mexico got 27% of the Hispanic vote.

The Republican party in the United States has sh*t the bed with ethnic minority Americans and almost all minority group Americans.

The Republican party has chosen to make itself the party of white southern citizens and Rocky Mountain state residents (excepting Colorado) along with a significant number of TVF posters.  clap2.gif

Welcome back.  I'm certain some have missed you.

But, that aside, thanks for proving my point about the reason Obama wants to legalize 11 million potential Democratic party voters.

One thing the Democratic party has always relied on is the block votes from Blacks, Hispanics, college and high school teachers, labor union members and Hollywood liberals.  You know, those groups that are easily led by the main stream media.

He knows as well as you do that many minorities vote blindly for the Democrats and I'm certain he presumes that trend will continue for the foreseeable future.

All that aside, I really don't understand all this fuss about the law suit.  There is little likelihood anything will ever come of it.  

Obama will be out of office if it even gets to trial, what with executive privilege and all that.  By then his failures and illegalities in office will simply be part of his legacy.

The Democrats keep crying "impeachment", using it as a fund raiser and something to try and get disinterested voters out for the mid term 2014 Congressional election.  

I don't believe that will work since most people realize Joe Biden is next in line for the Presidency...and nobody wants that to happen., even the Democrats,

Anyway, welcome back.  Maybe we can get some China articles listed on World News for your comments.

He knows as well as you do that many minorities vote blindly for the Democrats and I'm certain he presumes that trend will continue for the foreseeable future.

Blindly? I think many minorities vote for the Democrats on the basis that they think the other fellahs are a bit racist.

wink.png

• Like 1

whistling.gif

Welcome back.  I'm certain some have missed you.

But, that aside, thanks for proving my point about the reason Obama wants to legalize 11 million potential Democratic party voters.

One thing the Democratic party has always relied on is the block votes from Blacks, Hispanics, college and high school teachers, labor union members and Hollywood liberals.  You know, those groups that are easily led by the main stream media.

All that aside, I really don't understand all this fuss about the law suit.  There is little likelihood anything will ever come of it.  

Obama will be out of office if it even gets to trial, what with executive privilege and all that.  By then his failures and illegalities in office will simply be part of his legacy.

The Democrats keep crying "impeachment", using it as a fund raiser and something to try and get disinterested voters out for the mid term 2014 Congressional election.  

I don't believe that will work since most people realize Joe Biden is next in line for the Presidency...and nobody wants that to happen., even the Democrats,

Anyway, welcome back.  Maybe we can get some China articles listed on World News for your comments.

The Democratic party didn't start all the rattletrap about impeaching Prez Obama, but I see no point to engaging in a they said, no you said tet-a-tet with any of the many Republicans here to include other extreme and pertubating right wingers who are not of the Republican party. 

The bottom line of the very recent past is that the radical right Republicans in the House impeached Prez Clinton while the Senate found the president not guilty by 16 votes less than the required number to convict and thus remove him from the presidency. The 16 vote majority included Democrat and Republican senators. 

I do hope the lawsuit gets to the U.S. District Court in Washington so the judge can throw it out on a summary dismissal which is very likely to happen should it meander that far. The U.S. courts dismiss such lawsuits between Congress and the Executive because 99% of them fall under the Doctrine of Political Question, not on any actual legal questions or issues.

Doctrine of Political Question

An issue that the federal courts refuse to decide because it properly belongs to the decision-making authority of elected officials.

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Political+question+doctrine

Congress for instance has many times tried to sue the president - several presidents - over the War Powers Act and failed. The U.S. courts always have ruled the issues in those particular failed lawsuits fall properly under the Doctrine of Political Question, not under any legal questions or issues. The courts have dismissed every such case. This specious one is yet another such instance of political question, or issues.

And thanks for your kind and generous welcome back. During my 40 days in the wilderness I found an existing global forum where I'm still giggling over the things I can say without consequence in Thailand or at TVF  smile.png .

You oughta try it sometime. rolleyes.gif     

Edited by Publicus

So, the trend for Hispanic voters voting Republican is downward.

Good you're not worried about it, because the Republican party certainly is........

A small number of prominent Republican elected officials have tried to deal rationally and effectively with illegal Hispanic immigration but they've been chased away, intimidated, silenced by the many right wing activists in the party to include the tea party wingnuts.

Yet the majority of Republicans support immigration reform. However, the majority of Republicans also support the House's law suit and the proposed impeachment.

But let's look at the larger picture to include the lawsuit being brought by the Republican party controlled House of Representatives. The ABC News/New York Times scientific poll published yesterday found some interesting realities across the United States that all but a few House Republicans will continue to ignore.

Only 35% of Americans scientifically surveyed have a favorable view of the Republican Party. Forty-nine percent of Americans view the Democratic party favorably.

65% of Hispanics surveyed have an unfavorable view of the Republican party

Seventy percent of nonwhite Americans view the Republican Party unfavorably.

Young adult Americans surveyed, aged 18-29, rate the Democratic party 26 points higher in favorability than they rate the Republican party.

61% of Independent voters, those voters not enrolled in any political party, have an unfavorable view of the Republican party (50% unfavorable towards the Democratic party).

Only 33% of all women surveyed view the Republican party favorably (54% favorable toward the Democratic party).

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2014/08/own-rep-rating-hits-a-record-low-marking-the-publics-political-discontent/

Long time Republican commentator Kevin Phillips is a key to understanding how the Republican party has lost so many demographic groups.

Phillips is a central designer of Prez Nixon's "Southern Strategy" which turned while southerners of the Old Confederacy to Republican party voters after a century of their having voted solidly for the Democratic party. Nixon's Southern Strategy radically changed the "Solid South" southern states from solidly Democratic to solidly Republican. 

Phillips in 1969 wrote his now notorious book,The Emerging Republican Majority which envisaged a Republican party lock on the national electorate. However, after Jimmy Carter defeated Prez Ford in 1978, a very good friend of mine who was a Republican (now an Independent who worked for Independent John B. Anderson for president in 1980), quipped that he would write his own book, The Submerging Republican Minority. 

Phillips himself has distanced himself from the Republican party because of its rightward and nihilist movement to include the tea party.In 2004 Phillips wrote another, more focused book, American Dynasty: Aristocracy, Fortune and the Politics of Deceit in the House of Bush.      

Philips' 1969 book was a last hurrah of Republican conservative dominance in U.S. politics and government. It was more than that however. Philips' book of 40-some years ago allows close attention to the racial dimensions of his arguments and to the treatment of race in the larger literature on the conservative movement, the Republican party ascendancy and its demise.

Party Alignment and the Search for an Emerging Majority in Post-Civil Rights Politics

A Retrospective on Kevin Phillips, Southern Politics, and The Emerging Republican Majority

https://aha.confex.com/aha/2010/webprogram/Paper4551.html

The Submerging Republican Minority   clap2.gif

Typo.

Edited by Publicus

A global forum eh? You must be very important.

biggrin.png

The data on percentage of website hits, or visitors accessing TV by country, indicates that while ThaiVisa.com has a little something of an international constituency, TVF is primarily a Thailand website. Almost 73% of TV's daily visitors are in Thailand (same as the Thai-fahlang ratio at my own house  wai.gif ).

Thailand72.7%

• United States3.9%
  • India2.7%
  • United Kingdom2.5%
  • Australia2.1%
  • Japan1.6%
  • Laos1.5%
  • Netherlands1.3%
  • Italy1.1%
  • France1.0%

Nothing quantitatively notable originates from the burning sands of the ME areas 

Which I take to mean you are not square face.  wink.png

WPFflags.gif.pagespeed.ce.52UL_9jJ74.png

Edited by Publicus

Can't say I'm too bothered that the whole world isn't hanging off my every word.

A few conversations with interesting people is more my thing.

It seems I misspoke when I said nothing quantitative around here originates from the ME.

I overlooked the 10,080 posts as of this writing. I did however note the square face aspect of it. So would I be only half as removed from society?  ermm.gif.pagespeed.ce.7f2Kr9k8HC.png

The YouTube video is good however cause it shows Rand Paul running in Iowa.

Literally.. 

Away from voters and the crackpot tea party congressman.  cheesy.gif