visa transfer to new passport procedure

My old passports validity is slightly less than a year from now and end of permission to stay.

Need to renew my NON B permission to stay in 3 weeks from now.

1.,Should I transfer old permit into new passport ( already holding in hand) before applying for new permit or can/would it be done in the same process?

2., I am pretty sure that visa transfer is not free of charge as it used to be, does anyone know the amount to be charged (just out of curiosity, has to be done anyway...)

3., Which documents to bring to Immigration, other than the 2 passports?

Thank's in advance for competent replies

It would depend on where you apply. Some big offices have seperate desks fr these task, while others will do it all at the same desk.

2. It is free.

3. a letter from your embassy asking to tranfer stamps to your new passport

copies of old paspsort and arrival card

• Like 1

Visas cannot be transferred. If you ave valid visa you have show your old passport until it expires.

if you have an extension of stay you obtained at immigration it can be transferred to you new passport.

If you are applying for a new extension you could wait until then. But you would have to make copies your new passport with the transferred stamps in it before applying for the extension.

There are few offices that charge for the stamp transfer.

You will need complete a transfer stamps form, http://immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/pdf/transferstamp.pdf

You may also need a letter from your embassy confirming you got a new passport.

It would depend on where you apply. Some big offices have seperate desks fr these task, while others will do it all at the same desk.

2. It is free.

Hi Mario !

Thanks for your super prompt and competent reply.

will happen in CM - they do have a separate desk for this issue. 

would love to see it as FOC, but if memory serves me right, I saw a sign for charges at my last visit (not related).

5 years ago, I haven't been asked for a letter from embassy, but they forced me to cut a small piece of passports front page.

Wouldn't care about if this happens again, as old passport is 90 % full anyway.

Just by change, do you know if I could save myself the embassy hassle by allowing the clipping again?

Visas cannot be transferred. If you ave valid visa you have show your old passport until it expires.

if you have an extension of stay you obtained at immigration it can be transferred to you new passport.

If you are applying for a new extension you could wait until then. But you would have to make copies your new passport with the transferred stamps in it before applying for the extension.

There are few offices that charge for the stamp transfer.

You will need complete a transfer stamps form, http://immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/pdf/transferstamp.pdf

You may also need a letter from your embassy confirming you got a new passport.

Hi Ubonjoe !

Thank you also for quick reply.

Sorry for using the word VISA, as I do not hold one, but do have a permit of stay.

I think I have to go into town and check out if embassy letter is really needed in my case.

Not all offices ask for the embassy letter, but don't know about CM.

Clipping of the passport is done to show that the passport has been cancelled and is no longer valid. (Sometimes the punch holes in the passport instead).

Just got word from CM Immigration about embassy letter.

In my case (virgin passport, without any stamps yet) embassy letter is needed.

Hope this info is helpful to other TV users.

• Like 1

2. It is free.

...and what if the new passport is issued by city hall in my country of origin ?

2. It is free.

...and what if the new passport is issued by city hall in my country of origin ?

"...is issued by city hall in my country of origin ?"

But it would still be issued on behalf of your country regardless of what office handed it to you.

Do you mean they mailed the passport to you in Thailand or that you picked up the passport when you were home and then you came back to Thailand?

If you were out of  Thailand when you got the passport, how did you enter Thailand with both an old cancelled passport and new passport?

If you have an embassy in Thailand or the embassy of some other country handles your country's affairs, visit them, explain the issue and ask them to give you a letter for immigrations. If you got a receipt for the cost of the new passport, see if Immigrations will accept that in lieu of the letter.

I plan to enter Thailand in September 2014 with a new Canadian passport issued in August 2014. In my old passport, I have extension of stay stamp valid until April 2015. What should happen at BKK airport upon entry? Should I present both passports, indicate on the arrival the extension of stay visa number, and ask to stay until April 2015? Then go to Jomtien immigration, and get the extension of stay stamp transferred to the new passport a few days later?

Correct, present both passports upon entry and they will stamp your passport till 2015, provided you have a re-entry permit. On the arrival card you will in the number of your re-entry permit not of your visa.

Next stop will be Jomtiem immirgaiton to transfer the details. Take copies of old passport with you.

I plan to enter Thailand in September 2014 with a new Canadian passport issued in August 2014. In my old passport, I have extension of stay stamp valid until April 2015. What should happen at BKK airport upon entry? Should I present both passports, indicate on the arrival the extension of stay visa number, and ask to stay until April 2015? Then go to Jomtien immigration, and get the extension of stay stamp transferred to the new passport a few days later?

Put your re-entry permit number on the arrival card.

Then give immigration both your passport to show the re-entry permit in the old one and they will stamp you into the country in your new passport.

The go to Jomtien and have your stamps transferred.

I went to Jomtien immigration with my old canceled and my new passport. Guess what: The officer only tack together these two passports. It tooks about 8 seconds. So, everyone can do this by itself.

Bostitch-Heftmaschine-schwarz-b660-black

I went to Jomtien immigration with my old canceled and my new passport. Guess what: The officer only tack together these two passports. It tooks about 8 seconds. So, everyone can do this by itself.

Perhaps he did that because you had a valid visa in the old passport that cannot be transferred. Stapling the two passports together is not standard procedure..

If you have an extension of stay they will transfer your stamps to the new one and you can retire the old one.

Perhaps he did that because you had a valid visa in the old passport

I had a TR visa were the second entry was used already and i stayed on the 30 days extension. Just a few days later i traveled to Laos to get a new TR visa.

Correct, present both passports upon entry and they will stamp your passport till 2015, provided you have a re-entry permit. On the arrival card you will in the number of your re-entry permit not of your visa.

Next stop will be Jomtiem immirgaiton to transfer the details. Take copies of old passport with you.

Yes I have a multiple re-entry permit. Should the extension of stay and the multiple re-entry permit be transferred? Is there a time limit to have stamps transferred? May I get the transfer a week after arrival?