Patong police screen tourists for drugs

webfact

Patong police screen tourists for drugs
Eakkapop Thongtub

1406772648_1-org.jpg
Reangchai Nontermbion arrested for possession of an illegal firearm and ammunition. Photo Eakkapop Thongtub.

Phuket: -- Pol. Gen Jirapat Pochanapan, Katu Police department, led a team of armed-forces to clean out all illegal activities in the Patong area at 9pm on Tuesday (July 29).

Katu traffic control set up a check point at the Patong hill intersection and searched all vehicles coming in and out of Patong. Navy official, Chatchai Dwongmanee, worked with hospital staff to check popular entertainment spots as well as the beach area, for any suspicious activity.

The hospital staff also carried out screening of tourists’ urine, for any sign of illegal drugs. Narcotic police raided a house in Soi Kanomjeen, in Katu and arrested three men.

Police arrested Wiwat Giengteuan and Narawan Thonghom, for possession of drugs and also arrested Reangchai Nontermbion for possession of an illegal firearm and ammunition.

All guilty parties have been taken to Katu police department for further investigation.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/patong-police-screen-tourists-for-drugs-47623.php

[pn]2014-07-31[/pn]

It seems a decision has been made by the Army to get rid of tourists in Thailand by whatever means possible - New Visa Rules - removal of facilities at beaches - Drugs test of tourists - i wonder what next 

It seems a decision has been made by the Army to get rid of tourists in Thailand by whatever means possible - New Visa Rules - removal of facilities at beaches - Drugs test of tourists - i wonder what next 

no alcohol and cigarettes .... that will come soon and next ..no hookers..

Innocent until proven guilty? Justifiable search? I am sure the coppers know where all the illegal activities are.

Guilt is already assumed if you are a farang.

Very much to the contrary. As a farang you will almost  invariably be waved through one of their random meth checks.

Agree that it is a very misleading headline.

• Like 1

Man, it's like these guys googled "How to make a coup" and followed it step by predictable step down the list.

This is from the Ruin the Economy chapter.
It may also pay dividends later when they get to the Demonize Foreigners section.

"...New Visa Rules -..."                              Do you mean the enforcement of existing laws that do not affect real tourists?

"...removal of facilities at beaches -..."       Do you mean the removal of illegal facilities that were eyesores, exploited tourists, and were hated by many?

"...Drugs test of tourists -..."                      Do you mean tourists should be allowed to use illegal drugs?

Edited by Zeegator
  • Like 1

no alcohol and cigarettes .... that will come soon and next ..no hookers..

sounds good! drinking and smoking is bad for you anyway..

Edited by falkan

The guy in the picture looks like a picture-perfect speed-taker. I'm not going there and G*d willing never will but I'm guessing unless you look like you're strung out on meth you will be waved through. Thai police generally know what they are looking for IME (but this may not apply to more corrupt/mafia PD's such as in _______ or ________)

What percentage of tourists are Thai? What percentage of tourists are Asian? What percentage of tourists are farang? Why does everyone assume they are targeting farangs? The headline reads "Tourists"

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

It's interesting that there is more people in Thai prison today (2013) for drug related crime (~140,000) than the total prison population in 2006 (~120,000) and of the foreigners it's more than 6,000 out of the 10,000 odd people. It looks like there really is a drug problem in the Kingdom. Many western countries don't do random testing but in Thailand it is perfectly legal for the police to enter a nightclub or set up checkpoints and test everybody at or that pass by that location.

I would say that they only pick up the odd westerner who has actually taken drugs as the number of westerners in Thai prison for all crimes is relatively small less than 1,000 (probably much less). They never used to be too interested in foreigners but given the current climate who knows what the future holds.

Personally, I think most on going drug users (the same as alcohol drinkers) are self medicating and it should be a medical issue (unless they have guns, broke into houses or hurt other people) as just taking drugs is a victimless crime. Mind you drink driving or drug driving should still be against the law. These people are sick and need help more than being put in a prison system where they will invariably pick up other bad habits and probably end up again and again. 

Source: http://www.correct.go.th/correct2009/upload/files/publication/DOC_AnnualReport56.pdf , http://www.thailawforum.com/tourst-guide-laws-Thailand-4.html

I was out walking the other morning my girlfriend pointed to a syringe stuck into a tree, is there no limit to how low these people go. Injecting drugs into trees shame,shame,shame!

At least they had the courtesy to stick it in a tree, I saw in Chongqing, China, an open syringe (with likely HIV infected blood at the tip) right on the ground in a riverfront play area, with kids right nearby. Usually I am revolted at the sight of a syringe but there I had no choice but to pick it up (using the branches of a nearby tree) and toss it aside into a nearby bridge foundation where it was clearly visible and not susceptible to a bare-footed person's skin. I very much support a health-care approach to the drug (in Thai mostly ATS) scourge but someone just tossing a needle-open syringe on the ground deserves to go to jail on criminal negligency charges.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

"...New Visa Rules -..."                              Do you mean the enforcement of existing laws that do not affect real tourists?

"...removal of facilities at beaches -..."       Do you mean the removal of illegal facilities that were eyesores, exploited tourists, and were hated by many?

"...Drugs test of tourists -..."                      Do you mean tourists should be allowed to use illegal drugs?

stop....you're giving me a boner with your impeccably righteous indignation....

Edited by toooa