Marry a Thai - can she get my assets in UK or australia?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Believe me . This topic is the favorite topic with married and single Thai ladies everytime they meet. Specially if they are married or dating with foreigners. Some have more knowledge of foreign marriage laws than many lawyers. That is a Thailand's tradition. Marriage means "security". In that matter, only the ones that are very young and "in love" ..and the ones without better "options" are exeptions....and that is common to every country.

When I was young, and "in love", getting married for first time in Brazil, I didn't do a marriage agremment.

I am regreting for the last 45 years...

Edited by umbanda

One thing you must understand about Thai women is they will have the cojones to ask for things…..sometimes inappropriate things.

Question is do you have the cojones to say no? If not, prepare for trouble.

Understand that if and when you say no they will pout for a couple of days then it will all be back to normal and they'll be one step nearer to realising you're not a mug.

Out of interest why do you want to get married? You do realise that the party for friends and relatives is all that is required by custom.

Any demand for a formal registration is purely with an eye to the litigious side.

Edited by cheeryble

Pre-Nup's are not legally binding in the UK and yes she can get half your assets in the UK if her lawyer is smart enough.

Don't get married unless she is richer than you. It's probably not her decision anyway, have you discussed it with her Thai boyfriend?

That tickled me.

depends where you live

do you live in Thailand, UK or OZ?

I ask as is that married or not both parties may have rights.

ie In OZ if you stay with a woman and live like man and wife for 2 years then she is considered your common law wife or de facto and can make a claim on your assets.

The UK does not recognise the above rights of your spouse but under UK Property Laws she may have a claim.

In Thailand what you acquire after you get married is what counts.

If wife or GF wants to fight for assets then she will need deep pockets for UK and OZ

Hi

Im British and Australian (dual citizen)

If i marry a Thai do i need to make a pre-nuptial agreement? Can she get my assets in UK or Australia. I have no intention of sponsoring her to become British or Australian

Thanks

Why thinking about married then?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

After reading the OP's story the only thing I can say is ALL THAI ladies, keep well and truly away from this guy... he appears only to be after a free "ride".

........and what are "ALL THAT ladies" after ? and what will they bring to the table ?

People like you are the reason why the "THAI ladies" are as they are !

Hi

Im British and Australian (dual citizen)

If i marry a Thai do i need to make a pre-nuptial agreement? Can she get my assets in UK or Australia. I have no intention of sponsoring her to become British or Australian

Thanks

Why thinking about married then?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Its a logical question.. getting married does not mean the girl wins jackpot and should not mean that on divorce a girl can claim half of all he owns before the marriage. Different story about things build up together during the marriage. I protected myself this way before and it paid off. My cheating wife did not get her hands on my house (if no pre nup she would have even if cheating)

Pre-Nup's are not legally binding in the UK and yes she can get half your assets in the UK if her lawyer is smart enough.

Don't get married unless she is richer than you. It's probably not her decision anyway, have you discussed it with her Thai boyfriend?

Only if she has the right to enter the UK.

She can't access the UK legal system from abroad.

(Theoretically she could, but in actuality she would be given the run around)

My friend had a prenuptial they were married 2 years as soon as they had a kid it all changed prenuptial goes out the window this is the uk she done him for the house

You are correct, giving birth in the UK invalidates any pre-nup.

But to get access to the British legal system, she needs the right to enter the UK.

A Thai lady who and never travelled to the UK would have no chance.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

presume you mean if you fall of your perch before she does as can't believe you are thinking about divorce before marriage.!

You can have two wills. Thai will leaving all your Thai assets to your wife and your home country will leaving all your home country assets to your family or whoever.

we have no idea WHY he is getting married.

he said he has NO INTENTION of making her a UK or Ozzie citizen, so maybe this marriage is for "other reasons" (buying a house in Thailand, Visa to live here in Thailand, etc).

- i just googled: (about 5% to 10% of Americans get a "Prenup". That's about 15 to 30 million people in USA!!)

so,, asking about divorce theory BEFORE getting married is no different to any other person considering a prenup.

there's nothing wrong about fearing divorce BEFORE you get married... (because we don't know the persons real reasons)

it may sound heartless that he wants to ask these questions... but we have no idea why he is marrying.. and what assets he holds in his home counrtries

Edited by easybullet3

Will the OP ever come back and give comment on the replies he's received or is he just wasting everyone's time?

Sorry to hear about the guy who got married then after 2 years the baby came and she got the house. That is absolutely brutal, intolerable. How can anyone live with this scenario? I'd go literally nuts they'd have to lock me up, especially if another bloke was on the scene and tried to enter the house I paid for. Just couldn't handle that

WOW, what a lucky catch you must be, already have her divorced and taking half your assets before you're married.... It must be love, love, love. Try at least to pretend to be human and you may get some advice.

Oz

Or, maybe he just doesn't want to be cuckolded dunce who gets taken for everything, like so many other falangs

depends where you live

do you live in Thailand, UK or OZ?

I ask as is that married or not both parties may have rights.

ie In OZ if you stay with a woman and live like man and wife for 2 years then she is considered your common law wife or de facto and can make a claim on your assets.

The UK does not recognise the above rights of your spouse but under UK Property Laws she may have a claim.

In Thailand what you acquire after you get married is what counts.

If wife or GF wants to fight for assets then she will need deep pockets for UK and OZ

Sorry bud it's 6 months not 2 years for 50% in OZ

BTW, just saw newer comment. I got a pre-nup from Cathy Tran Reck a US lawyer in BKK for about 25K baht. So I think the other guys estimate was a little high unless you go to Baker & Mckenzie or some international law firm. But that might be worth it if you have a lot.

Tran Reck ...

Nomen est omen?

But seriously, an awful lot of people on this forum are old enough to know that people change over 10, 20 or 30 years. To a certain extent so does their character and taste, and hence compatibilities. And an in injured heart is quick to start a blame game.

According to your nationality, whoever you marry, no matter from where, the marriage still falls under the laws of both the foreign wife`s country and your home country.

For example if an Australian marries a foreign national and the Australian has assets in Australia, the foreign wife can still make claim according to the marriage and divorce laws of Australia, providing that the foreign national is able to legally gain entry into Australia to take divorce action against her husband.

As regarding any pre-nuptial agreements, these will only pertain if the pre-nuptial agreement, especially if made abroad, are legally recognised in the home country and this is something that should be checked by obtaining the advice of a reputable lawyer in the home country.

thejcb, on 01 Aug 2014 - 15:09, said:
Rorri, on 01 Aug 2014 - 10:37, said:

After reading the OP's story the only thing I can say is ALL THAI ladies, keep well and truly away from this guy... he appears only to be after a free "ride".

........and what are "ALL THAT ladies" after ? and what will they bring to the table ?

People like you are the reason why the "THAI ladies" are as they are !

So, your comment make no sense at all. I don't believe 'ALL" Thai ladies are the same. In fact if I made such an all encompassing comment, I would have been suspended again. And maybe you can explain why it is people like me (whatever that means) are the reason why Thai ladies are like they are, I never thought I was responsible for "ALL" Thai ladies.

Duel citizenship should be stopped. You are either British or Australian.In my opinion, it is impossible to be both.You are either a Bulldog or a Kangeroo.

I am half American and half English. So I guess that makes me a right old Yanker.

A half English and half Australian person is a Bullgeroo.

So why do you have problems with that?

Women ARE the most selfish people on Earth - naturally!

From the minute they say Ok... they want your baby and provision

Sorry for the reality check But as long as live the [her] dream, I'm sure you will be fine

(And I'm OK, at the moment...)

WOW, what a lucky catch you must be, already have her divorced and taking half your assets before you're married.... It must be love, love, love. Try at least to pretend to be human and you may get some advice.

Oz

Edited by Maroon Watcher

Australia, you don't even have to be married. She only has to prove you've been living in a de-facto relationship.

Yes, this is true. After 2 years of living together your live-in partner can claim as if you were legally married. And as Australian law recognises an Amphur wedding here, maybe a local girlfriend of 2 years could try to use Australian law to get assets off you in the event of separation. I think if you have always lived here she would have a hard time getting the Australian Family Court to agree it is in their jurisdiction, so no long holidays on Oz.

And I agree with your caution. Bugger the romantics with their heads in the sand. Life changes. Love for many people turns into divorce. I think the divorce rate in Australian for first marriages is over 40%. I doubt that any of them thought they would ever divorce as they strolled down the aisle.

And a pre-nup is a very useful tool in Australia. Both must have independent legal advice before agreeing to sign. Not sure about here in LOS.

Australia, you don't even have to be married. She only has to prove you've been living in a de-facto relationship.

Thats right, and yes your Thai wife can go you in Australia should you break up even if shes never lived there, pre nup at the very least, dont get married even better.

Marriage in Thailand gives her rights thats one of the reasons Thai women want to marry us yet many of the TG's ive known never married there long term TBF's.....think about it, from my experience several TGF's have said they wanted to get married but when i brushed that idea off they were more than fine with leaving it the way it was.

I agree, smart question unless you're broke and certain it'll be that way til the day you die. In my opinion only idiots would go off getting married without a pre-nup these days. And if you have more than a little money, I'd suggest you get a lawyer to advise you. Proper advance planning is a whole lot cheaper than fixing it later. I've seen even seasoned ex-pats get taken to the cleaners, particularly if she get smart, leaves you for a guy with more money, and has access to lawyers.

Remember, when you show her the pre-nup (which you'll have to get translated and have a Thai Lawyer of her choice explain to her), you simply say: "this is the paper that tells we're only getting married because we love each other, not for money". Then remind her the pre-nup is not a will, and you can remind her that if she does a good job taking care of you, it will be taken care of in the will. Obviously if she doesn't buy that then you probably need the pre-nup even more.

U romantic U

I think you would have to register the marriage with your embassy if she were to have any legal claim. I'm not sure if Australia and UK are the same as US where assets owned prior to the marriage are not considered community property.

I think-I'm not sure!? Thanks for your ...

I think you would have to register the marriage with your embassy if she were to have any legal claim. I'm not sure if Australia and UK are the same as US where assets owned prior to the marriage are not considered community property.

While it is true that assets owned before a marriage are not community property in the USA, the increase in value of those assets after marriage is. blink.png