What bike to buy for trips to Isaan

Topdeck

Interesting comment from strangebrew not a bike rider? Idiots all over the World try to kill bikers over here I've found that driving like them rather than fighting then with my ways is the best way to go

Sent from my D6503 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kawasaki er6n seems to fit price and style has anyone had much experience with them, but I am still being swayed by the dinosaurs cb1300 etc there is a nice one on Hd-playground at present.

As I said, I ad the Ninja650r, which is the same bike with fairings.

Had it for a year, put almost 20,000km on it. I daily drove it. I did multiple 400km+ trips

Ran it at 160-190km for hours at a time on trip from CM to Maleka Malaysia and back. Longest ride being 1144km from Chumpon to Chiang Mai in about 10hrs of riding.

The only problem I ever had was the radiator cap failed, the rubber rotted out. This caused a pressurization problem and coolant sprayed out the overflow. It was a 600B fix.

Decent touring tires will cost 12k, such as Angel GT's or Road Pilots

First class will be 10-12k

A genuine slipon costs 10-25k

They are a bit surgy with their power under 20kph, and a tuner can fix that along with give a bit of extra power.

I took an er6n out on a 2 day 1000km ride, and the only thing better about the Ninja was the windscreen. At 120kph on the Er6n the wind blows hard, you don't really feel it until 180+ on the Ninja.

I even had givi 21L panniers added on to it for 7000B because I loved taking multiday trips.

A used er6n is one of the best bang for your baht bikes in Thailand.

Make sure they have the maintenance records.

Mentioned the tires a few times in this thread, spark plugs are every 12k

Brakes lasted me 36k km because the engine braking is very strong.

Chains and sprockets can last up to 20k it seems with proper care.

I loved that bike and the only reason I sold it was because I moved back to the US to help take care of my father.

Actually considering a Versys for a long hauler over here and some sort of cafe project bike. Just moved back though, so I have time.

Kawasaki er6n seems to fit price and style has anyone had much experience with them, but I am still being swayed by the dinosaurs cb1300 etc there is a nice one on Hd-playground at present.

ive had 3 er6's ......what do you need to know?  cb1300? heavy thirsty lump of crap with a design fault of carbs *freezing* after riding it at a constant speed for a long distance. what happens is you go to overtake something and the bike will not accelerate. ive had that on 2 different bikes.

more importantly, green book. i cant imagine any cb1300 for 200,000 bt will have a greenbook that says "4 cylinder 1300cc" inside.

buy an ER6 or honda 500. its getting hard to sell an ER6 now so look around for a bargain.

cb1300.............pile of.....

Keesters, on 01 Aug 2014 - 10:28, said:

Anything you like as long as it's NOT one of those ridiculously noisy HDs.

Have some respect for people and keep your exhaust under 90dB.

Loud pipe save lives...obviously you have never owned a HD, until you do then you really do not understand, so any debate would be wasted.

• Like 1

WHEN YOU WANT TO DRIVE LOCALLY AND ON THE ROAD WITH THE SAME BIKE, IT IS A MATTER OF COMPROMISE. i HAVE DRIVEN A HONDA 250 REBEL FROM PATTAYA TO PHNOM  PENH MANY TIMES AND ALL WAS GENERALLY GOOD. A BIT UNDERPOWERED ON SOME OF THE BIG HILLS, BUT NOTHING SOWNSHIFTING WOULDN'T TAKE CARE OF. I FIND THE 250 ALSO SMALL ENOUGH TO RIDE AROUND AS A TOWN BIKE. i LIKE THE REBEL A LOT BETTER THAN THE PHANTOM, ALTHOUGH THEY ARE HARD TO FIND. MUCH PREFER TWO CYLINDERS TO ONE, AND BECAUSE THE TWO CYLINDERS ARE BASICALLY 125 EACH, IT HAS A LOT OF INTERCHANGEABLE PARTS WITH SMALLER HONDAS.  I FINALLY GAVE UP THE COMPROMISE PLAN AND BOUGHT A 750 SHADOW FOR THE ROAD AND A WAVE FOR AROUND TOWN. THE COST OF ADDING THE SMALL BIKE IS SO LITTLE IT WAS AN EASY MOVE. THE 750 IS GREAT ON THE ROAD, CONFORTABLE, MORE THAN ENOUGH POWER, BUT AROUND TOWN IT IS PRETTY MUCH A PIG. MIGHT AS WELL BE IN A CAR IN TRAFFIC. I HAVE FOUND THAT HONDAS BIG BONUS IS THAT EVERYONE HAS PARTS AND FINDING SOMEONE TO WORK ON A HONDA, EVEN ALONG THE ROAD, HAS BEEN NO PROBLEM.

For long rides as well as everyday, I'd say Er6n. Very comfortable, ABS. Bit sluggish for the engine size but for the long haul I'd prefer power over speed. Its not a racing bike but great for every day and certainly more comfortable than a sports bike. Make sure you get a decent set of tires

Just been to a local garage who has on also in Ubon he is a cool guy drives around in a bright orange Lotus exige. Anyway recons has a Er6n around 200 and a Z800 around late 200's in Ubon I can try out both with green books. But says anything he sells he can service and get parts for so happy days. Thanks so much for all the experience spoken today regards this subject hopefully it will be a thread useful to other users

Just been to a local garage who has on also in Ubon he is a cool guy drives around in a bright orange Lotus exige. Anyway recons has a Er6n around 200 and a Z800 around late 200's in Ubon I can try out both with green books. But says anything he sells he can service and get parts for so happy days. Thanks so much for all the experience spoken today regards this subject hopefully it will be a thread useful to other users

Registered Z800 for under 300k seems too good to be true.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

ER6n for 130-150k

Versys for 170-200k

09-11 will be cheaper than 12+ as Kawasaki did a lot of changes.

Other numbers to consider, First class will run you about 10-12k/year

Tires will run you 12-14k. They will last about just as long. and fuel is about 1bt/km

I would say with maintenc they will run you about 2.5b/km

Cb500 is less bike for about the same money, just newer

CB300/Ninja300 could also be a possibility. Better mpg, cheaper tires and start off around 120-140k depending on age (Ninja 300 has been out for a year, CB is brand new).

Of course you could always go with one of the older bikes like CBs, XJs, steeds, viragos etc etc, but you will not find many off the shelf parts making maintenance a bigger hassle. 

I my eyes that's a C_ab bike, had a Versus 2013 for less than a week, enough for me... The rest are no good for long distances

For touring/cruising we love our BMW R1100R (1100 cc) with three hard saddlebags and a soft tank bag, but we need to sell it.  For touring Isaan or riding to Bangkok, it would be great if you can stretch your budget a bit.  It has 40,000 km, it's a 1998 model, with good title, and it's in Chiang Mai.  The local BMW dealer's head mechanic has done all maintenance, and the bike is in cherry condition.  Photos attached.      

Know a guy who rode a V-Strom from Germany to Kuala Lumpur. All was well until he got to SE Asia, then he had a few problems and a heck of a time getting parts. He was doing things like flying from Vientiane to Kuala Lumpur to pick up parts shipped from Australia. Another guy had a shiny new Yamaha Teena and wiped it out shortly after buying it. Took a long time to get parts for that too. He got discouraged and tried to sell it for around half price. I'm told he had not one query... No one came to look. He's now decided to keep it, I hear.

All of which is to say that the ability to FIX something in LOS seems of paramount importance. Suzuki, Yamaha, BMW have almost no "big bike" presence in Thailand. Kawasaki has the most, by far, but Honda is trying. Ducati is a distant third, but still, there are several Ducati shops around Thailand these days. Of course, you surely CAN get all the others fixed here. Just a matter of waiting for parts to arrive from eBay or wherever, paying customs if necessary, finding someone who knows how to work on that particular bike (you can't believe everyone here who says they know how), and etc.

Whatever you might get, it's probably a good idea that it be made in Thailand. There are lots and lots of bigger Honda bikes, but only a few that are made here. They have a new 650 or 700 four in some of the shops that I think is made here. As I recall, a tad more than 300K. 80+ HP, I believe. The Honda 500's might work for you, but seem a bit underpowered to me, at 47 or so HP. But of course, should be cheaper as a result. I think 200K-ish for something new. Maybe less now. But if you get something a few years old, of which there are few here in Thailand, you'll run into the fix it/maintenance problems again.

I am extremely happy with the Ninja 650 I've had the past several years. Have ridden it all over Thailand several times. Never a breakdown. I did decide I needed new front disk pads in Udon Thani once. and 20 minutes later, they'd been installed. And I wanted a new tire in Ubon some time back. Ended up not buying it there, though, as they didn't have the Pirelli I wanted. They did have other brands, of course. Regardless, I decided BKK was just a short ride up the road. And there's still a Kawasaki shop in Ubon in any case.

Personally, after riding bikes for 30-40 years, I consider the Ninja one of the best bikes I've ever owned. Not expensive, more than adequate power, and fixable pretty much anywhere. Handles extremely well. Very possible to do things like ride the bike in a fully locked circle at very slow speeds, feet up, with one hand. 54.xxx KM on the clock now, and while I don't exactly have to sell it and get something newer, I'm working on doing so. It's another Kawasaki 650. I am most unlikely to buy anything else here, unless I come up with 500,000 Baht for a Ducati something or other. I really, really loved my old Ducati, and would surely love another. But that doesn't mean any Ducati I get here would be a better all around bike than the Kawasaki 650s have proven to be.

One possible drawback for the Ninja and ER6N: things tend to get a bit crowded when doing extended two-up riding. It can be done, and I've done it many times. Just a bit crowded and tiring. But thinking about that -- I'm not 100% sure that's really a drawback. :)

CB250/Ninja250 (or 300's, these days maybe)? Could possibly work for ya, but I thought the Ninja250 was pretty light on power. And what there was tended to be at fairly high RPMs. Regardless, there are lots of road tests on the Internet comparing the smaller Hondas and Ninjas. Read a few of those before you buy either, though it appears you're not gonna be doing that. smile.png

Edited by RedQualia

what a stupid comment , on a HD the cars around you know where you are ... on a singer sewing machine no one has a clue where you are , back to the topic IMO in the price range a second hand TMax 500 ... great bike and has storage , auto and handles like a sports bike ...

Thanks for the smart comment!!

• Like 1

Loud pipe save lives...obviously you have never owned a HD, until you do then you really do not understand, so any debate would be wasted.

And loud pipe makes disturbing noise for all around. Save your life drive properly, wear bright/fluorescent colors and have some respect for people and not make a nuisance of yourself. Never owned a HD and never will. I have more respect for my fellow man than to go around making excessive noise.

I loved that bike and the only reason I sold it was because I moved back to the US to help take care of my father.

Actually considering a Versys for a long hauler over here and some sort of cafe project bike. Just moved back though, so I have time.

Wandering slightly away from the topic here, but a friend in the states says that dealers in the south (TX, LA) have brand new 2013 Versys all day, every day, for $4,995. Which is apparently to say that they've perhaps "gone out of fashion," as have Ninjas in Thailand, to some degree.

Wish I could get a new one here for $4,995 (~160K Baht). I'd take that in a heartbeat. But very different markets...

• Like 1

what a stupid comment , on a HD the cars around you know where you are ... on a singer sewing machine no one has a clue where you are , back to the topic IMO in the price range a second hand TMax 500 ... great bike and has storage , auto and handles like a sports bike ...

What a stupid comment. You seem to like making lots of noise just so that cars know where you are. I don't know how you drive a car but I use my eyes first and ears second. A pedestrian makes almost no noise and if I relied on my ears to know where they are I'd have killed hundreds. On the motorcycle wear bright/reflective colours to aid in making you visible. Noisy HDs riding around inner city with their 100+ decibels disturbs people. Show some respect.

I am woken at least twice a week in the middle of the night when a 6 house away neighbor arrives on his HD revving and revving it while he waits for his GF to open the gate. If the noisy bike doesn't wake me the barking dogs, who are also woken with the noise, do.

sounds like you have other issues ....bigger than the HD noise ...i feel for you .... perhaps buy a HD and get a smile back on your face , when you ride u barely hear the noise !!!

When it comes to issues I'd suggest that it is the HD owners who have them. Why do they need to draw attention to themselves by making excessive noise? Are they trying to make up for some other inadequacies they may have. How does it go now "Big bike, small d1ck". I would never ride a HD as I have nothing to prove to anybody and have far more respect for my fellow man than to disturb them. Admitting that you barely hear the noise but you know it is there just goes to show how little respect you have for others. You must get some kind of 'trip' when riding down the street watching heads turn saying 'WTF who's the d1ckhead making all the noise'. Many places around the world have banned motorcycles making such excessive noise. Not yet in Thailand so enjoy it while you can.

And loud pipe makes disturbing noise for all around. Save your life drive properly, wear bright/fluorescent colors and have some respect for people and not make a nuisance of yourself. Never owned a HD and never will. I have more respect for my fellow man than to go around making excessive noise.

Gonna disagree...

- Harleys do not HAVE to be loud.

- Other kinds of motorcycles CAN be as loud or louder.

- Anything and everything that helps all the arrogant and unlicensed Thai drivers actually SEE a motorcycle is fine by me, including loud pipes. Though, just the fact that they see you doesn't mean they won't try to run over you.

My apologies for the disturbing noise, but my safety is more important to me than your complaint.

Love my Honda Forza for all around operational performance; enough power to pass safely and climb hills, good comfort, nice hole under the seat for storage, within your price range.  Not a high powered road warrior, but can get out of its own way when needed.  Go anywhere in Issan you want to go, but agree with the previous response; take the train or plane to go to work. 

Forza best..have two other bikes a PCX and a Silverwing Honda..the Silverwing is 600cc and have installed Dr.Pulley on the "Variator" the expanding pulley assembly that sets the speed of engine to transmission..The same can be done on PCX and the Forza...

I put on some 1200km in 5 days from Pattaya to Kanchanaburi..two of us with bags..all went well...Honda you have a winner...test drive the PCX or Forza and see the great handeling ...

Love my Honda Forza for all around operational performance; enough power to pass safely and climb hills, good comfort, nice hole under the seat for storage, within your price range.  Not a high powered road warrior, but can get out of its own way when needed.  Go anywhere in Issan you want to go, but agree with the previous response; take the train or plane to go to work. 

Forza best..have two other bikes a PCX and a Silverwing Honda..the Silverwing is 600cc and have installed Dr.Pulley on the "Variator" the expanding pulley assembly that sets the speed of engine to transmission..The same can be done on PCX and the Forza...

I put on some 1200km in 5 days from Pattaya to Kanchanaburi..two of us with bags..all went well...Honda you have a winner...test drive the PCX or Forza and see the great handeling ...

oh yes here is a bike...electric 0-60mph in 3 seconds.....google "Zero bikes" and this new technology with blow you away!

Edited by rotorbreeze

I have a FJR1300 since 5 years, it is very comfortable for long trips.
I have already 80,000 kms, gone everywhere in Thailand, Malaysia and Laos and never got a problem.
But if you just will drive just in issan, a kawasaki 600cc is not expensive and enough. And now you can find shops all around
And twice a year go bkk by plane, bus or train :less expensive and more safe

And drive very carefully and not at high speed. It is very dangerous to drive a motorbike in Thailand. Always keep eyes on the road and buy a big truck horn ☺ Edited by carabaothai

I own a Honda PCX 150 and it serves me very well in greater Chiang Mai.  If I had been buying now instead of 2 years ago, I would have gotten the Forza.  Same scooter design, but the single cylinder is twice the displacement at 280cc.  Very comfortable and a lot of storage room. Cost is about 180,000 Bhat.  

I have rode my PCX From Pattaya to Kanchanaburi, Mae Sot, Mai Sai, Chiang Rai, Nong Khai and many places in between, best bike i have ever had. For two people maybe Forza would be better, depends on luggage!

• Like 1

@ keester .... ask your missus she never complains about the size of it lol .... 

That's gonna be hard to do as like a HD, a wife, I've never had and never will. Like HDs I've found relationships with the fairer sex, especially Thai ones, extremely loud and not a good ride.

Gonna disagree...

- Harleys do not HAVE to be loud.

- Other kinds of motorcycles CAN be as loud or louder.

- Anything and everything that helps all the arrogant and unlicensed Thai drivers actually SEE a motorcycle is fine by me, including loud pipes. Though, just the fact that they see you doesn't mean they won't try to run over you.

My apologies for the disturbing noise, but my safety is more important to me than your complaint.

I agree with you that HDs do not HAVE to be loud but, unfortunately, most in Thailand are. I believe in some parts of the USA there are modified HDs that conform to strict noise emission standards. Roll on the day that Thailand starts to have and enforce something similar.

As to the loudness contributing to the safety of the motorcycle riders, maybe. Let's for just one minute suppose that loud noise DOES increase road safety. All cars, vans, trucks, motorcycles, road vehicles of any kind SHOULD now be modified to make as much noise as possible in the interests of being heard and therefore possibly seen by other road users. For those that cannot be modified just permanently blast your horn which should preferably be a loud air type. If its good for the HD then its good for everyone else isn't it. Now that all road vehicles are as loud as or louder than a HD what is the gain in road safety; NONE.

30 years of riding motorcycles all over Thailand and the Himalayan foothills of India and Nepal never have I been involved in an accident. Those motorcycles have all been 175cc or under carrying me and a passenger safely and quietly as we explore the countryside including off road. It does not NEED a big bike and a lot of noise to have fun touring.

@ Keesters. For almost a week now, you have gone on about the noise of Harleys. No one cares what you think. Let people that want to ride Harleys ride them the way they are suppose to ride, and no other motorcycle company can copy the sound Harleys make, and all have tried. Including Honda, and they all try to copy Harleys shape and image. So get on with yourself and your 175CC rice grinder, I for one don't care what you ride or how much or how little noise it makes. I am beginning to think your a troll so move on with another topic for another week.