Told at the airport this will be my last visit on a 30 day visa to Thailand

Hi All,

Just to let you's all know my experience yesterday at Bangkok airport. I Landed in morning around 11am and made my way to the immigration control, the officer asked me a number of time why i was in Thailand, i answered for a holiday and to visit my wife. He then called over a female officer who took me to one side and explained that to visit Thailand regular i would need to apply for the correct visa prior to arriving, she took a copy of my passport and informed me that i would be denied entry if i attempted to enter with a visa on arrivals again.

Now a little about myself, I work offshore and have been visiting Thailand for the last 4years, my rotation is 4 weeks on 4 weeks off, i regularly do more than 4 weeks at work which eats into my time off and once a year i return to the UK to visit family, meaning each year i visit Thailand 5 times and stay no longer than 30days, my passport is just over a year old and has 5 entry/exit stamps in it, i have never done a visa run and never overstayed, each time i leave Thailand i stay out of the country for 30day or more. When in Thailand i stay with my wife in rented accommodation all in the wife's name.

i have been today about getting a marriage visa, unfortunately i need to leave the country and get a NON B Prior to getting a marriage visa. I should of done this along time ago but didn't see the need up until now.

Hope this will be of help to someone as i was expecting to be denied entry when they took me to oneside.

• Like 1

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have been today about getting a marriage visa, unfortunately i need to leave the country and get a NON B Prior to getting a marriage visa. I should of done this along time ago but didn't see the need up until now.

That is not right. You can't get a Non-Immigrant B visa because you do not do Business in Thailand.

You can either get a Non-Immigrant O visa for reason of marriage (can be single or multi-entry depending on consulate), or you can get an one year extension of stay for marriage at Thai immigration. For the latter out will require to show funds or income, and you will need multiple-entry permit.

It seems clear to me that there is not exactly uniform knowledge across all offices. I predict it will be pot luck if I choose to try and enter on 30 day stamps, so I am off to buy the Elite Card.

Check all your other options before you give in, you may be able spend Bt 8,000 per year instead of 100,000, renouncing only free airport transfers.

Edited by paz

if you don't contribute they don't want you here, sitting in a bar all day doesn't count, get a proper visa it ain't that difficult...

how exactly does a FIFO worker not contribute?

They would be the sort of people any country would want; seriously cashed up foreigners enjoying their break.

What Visa should he have? He only visits for less than 30 days at a time on his time off.

It has never been about "contribute" or not. That has never been mentioned by any official ever. It's about getting the right visa. If you come for an occasional short vacation that is fine. If you're coming on back to back 28 day in/28 day out visa free visit, according to what they have said that is not fine.

If a Visitor says they are a FIFO worker on work rotation. Then from Thai immigration perspective it sounds like you come to work in Thailand for 28 days then live in some other country for 28 days. How are they to know that it's the other way around? Thai immigration are not with modern times and simply can't get their head around what offshore FIFO work is about.

if you don't contribute they don't want you here, sitting in a bar all day doesn't count, get a proper visa it ain't that difficult...

how exactly does a FIFO worker not contribute?

They would be the sort of people any country would want; seriously cashed up foreigners enjoying their break.

What Visa should he have? He only visits for less than 30 days at a time on his time off.

It has never been about "contribute" or not. That has never been mentioned by any official ever. It's about getting the right visa. If you come for an occasional short vacation that is fine. If you're coming on back to back 28 day in/28 day out visa free visit, according to what they have said that is not fine.

They haven't even said that. They said they will not allow "abuse". Whatever it means.

• Like 1

I agree with Southpeel's thoughts. If the OP had told the immigration that he is a tourist on short breaks from offshore work, and never did any back to backs , his passport proving this, he would have probably been granted entry.

Him mentioning that he is married, contradicts him being a tourist ! Try to think in Thai logic. A husband is a husband and resides in thailand with his wife, a tourist is a tourist, lives in a hotel or guesthouse and probably is looking for a girlfriend.

So they had to decide if he was on a proper visa or not. His proper visa should be the Non Imm O marriage purpose.

I do not think that offshore workers will get problems after AUG 12 if they enter on visa exempt, although, if they are asked to show a proof of residence - under the same "thai logic" - it could be a problem to reside in a rented condo, because "tourists" does not do that - - - they stay in hotels.

more questions emerging facepalm.gif than answers at hand . . . . anyone there help us from the caroussel ?

Thailand is lucky the OP is already married.

The oil, gas and mining guys that do not already have a spouse or family will not put up this this crap.

They will move to another country that appreciates their spending.

Perhaps that is the long term plan anyway, no need for the Junta to clear out the beer bars. Once the oil, gas and mining money moves on... Patong, Pattaya, Pat Pong and Soi Cowboy will be reduced to nothing more that a sea of "shop for rent" signs.

Crash in the condo market anyone?

I know a few F. I. F. O. guys who have changed their plans for R&R, & will not wait for more uncertainty or tolerate being treated like a criminal at the airport in Thailand. I'm willing to have a go at getting a visa. I've been quoted 30k Baht to fix a retirement visa here in Thailand, 20k to do in Australia,,,,,,,,,,, so first off I've been trying to prove I'm a tourist,( hotel bookings I didn't need etc for 30 day exemption ) and now I've got to retire & bring swags of money in to the country to satisfy the requirements. I have the time and the inclination organise a visa myself, I don't want to pay what these visa companies are asking. In my case if I do all the work it will only cost around 6000 Baht.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

It should not have happened and I presume that it was more a case of the rules not yet being clear to all immigration officers.

Your case does not seem to fit the criteria for what is considered In-Out and suspected of working in Thailand.

A lot of rules are being changed, leading to a lot of confusion.

While I agree that this is likely due to not having clear understanding of the rule, I do question if what they did should not have happened. Next time he comes in new rules/enforcement will likely be in effect and he is spending almost 1/2 year in Thailand each year without a visa and is entitled to one. I think this is one an example of what they are trying to address with the new rules .... abusing the visa exempt system for staying in Thailand long periods without a proper visa.

I forget the exact rule years ago before they loosened rules (as opposed to now tightening) which had to do with amount of time you can spend in Thailand over a given period without a visa. Something like only 90 days within 6-months??? So, it would not surprise me at all if this kind of thing comes back into effect through the new rules / enforcement.

But as you said, just to much confusion now to know but just wouldn't be surprised at all if they were right to warn him. In fact it seems kind of logic based on their apparent goals.

Edited by JohnThailandJohn

The immigration officer is correct and this guy should be on a multi entry marriage visa assuming he is legally married and not just been through some village ceremony.

The whines about rights and money spent will cut no ice with immigration elsewhere in the world so why has a westerner got the right to abuse the Thai system.

This is a big wake up call not least for some expats fro Europe who have had an easy time living in the black economy and under the radar.

• Like 2

The OP is married and therefore is entitled to apply for a non O 1 year multiple entry visa. Best place at the moment is Savankhet across the river from Mukdahen. There is a recent thread on the process which Ubonjoe can advise more fully on. This visa dictates you need to leave every 90 days. After one year is up the OP can apply for annual extensions on marriage (now labelled "supporting Thai wife"). The requirement to leave every 90 days is then waived. Instead (in order to 28/28) the OP needs to apply for a multiple exit/entry permit and his problems are solved, he can go and comeback as he pleases provided he continues to fulfil the requirements of the annual extension.

Edited by iancnx

Everyones fixating on the OP is married part.. But the issue is not the fact this oil guy is married.. Its all the other unmarried ones, who purely come here for their downtime.

They are not abusing the 30 day system, they are using it as they have been told to do, and are high spending regular repeat visitors.

Yeah I get that. Unfortunately it seems the Elite Card is the way to go for them. Suggest the cost of that may well encourage them to look elsewhere. In my view it is really unfair and hope those single guys can find a resolution somehow.

Everyones fixating on the OP is married part.. But the issue is not the fact this oil guy is married.. Its all the other unmarried ones, who purely come here for their downtime.

They are not abusing the 30 day system, they are using it as they have been told to do, and are high spending regular repeat visitors.

While Thailand is lax in many areas, and why many people enjoy Thailand, I think spending have a year in a country using visa exempts might actually be abusing the system as it was designed for this purpose... not saying it is against any current regulation but I could certainly see how it could be viewed as abusing they system.

While Thailand is lax in many areas, and why many people enjoy Thailand, I think spending have a year in a country using visa exempts might actually be abusing the system as it was designed for this purpose... not saying it is against any current regulation but I could certainly see how it could be viewed as abusing they system.
Prior to my marriage I had one year non O visa's from Hull (for 4 years) for 'visiting friend'. Evidently they have stopped those now, so what are these guys supposed to do now? Many have lived here for years, may well have bought condo's (like I did) and are high net worth individuals who spend a good deal in Thailand during their down time. The immigration crackdown is not targeted at this group. Hoping Immigration HQ will provide definitive guidance on the options available. Edited by iancnx
  • Like 2