Told at the airport this will be my last visit on a 30 day visa to Thailand

Hey Guy,

Just passed immigration at the airport, i asked 2 officer about about my situation they both said i'm fine to come and go as i have been, but promoted the second officer on the fact i was stopped, pulled to one side and they took a photo copy of my passport and told me i needed the correct visa. He didn't have a answer for me and pointed to the overstay rules and informed they were the new rules and walked away.

anyway applying for a non O multi tomorrow so hopefully have no more problems.

why press the issue after being told there wasn't one?

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good Morning.....

Im heading back into Phuket in the next week after another 28days offshore unfortunately will be after the 14th of August. Has anyone heard of any bad news so far about offshore guys into phuket. I have my work visa from country i have just worked in for a month and reutrn ticket leaving thailand again 26 days after i enter. Would anyone like to give me some good news :)my Passport is UK 2years old maybe 8 30day stamps in their all 28days out of thailand in betweenand work visas from other country to prove it.

One more question can u get married and apply for a marriage visa whilst in thailand on a 30Day Stamp i read somewhere i neaded a Non Immigrant visa?

Please Help

Thanks

at this point there seems to be more people passing through the airports regularly and still getting 30 tourist visa exempt stamps than those being pulled aside and being told to get a proper visa.

i'm curious to know how the ones being pulled up are presenting themselves as. ie. what are you wearing (singlet, collared shirt, flip-flops, covered shoes etc)? cleanly shaven? tattoos? are you filling out your departure card? where are you listing on your arrival card as staying (hotel or house/condo), and purpose of visit (holiday, visiting friends family)?

Hey Guy,

Just passed immigration at the airport, i asked 2 officer about about my situation they both said i'm fine to come and go as i have been, but promoted the second officer on the fact i was stopped, pulled to one side and they took a photo copy of my passport and told me i needed the correct visa. He didn't have a answer for me and pointed to the overstay rules and informed they were the new rules and walked away.

can you please share your experiences when applying for said non-O multiple ? where will you do this ? what documents did u bring or have been demanded by Immi ? you are 50+ or not ?

Everyone just wanted to post this. I work 28/28 just back from work 10 visa exempts in my passport and was worried about current visa situation.

got to puke airport 10 minutes ago with my thai misses beside mr as she met me in Singapore for 1 night. risky I know but I'm innnnnnnn. guy smiled chatted up my misses and stamped away. For record I have no over stays 10 exempts 2 year old UK passport and work offshore 28/28 rotation always coming to Thailand on my time off. Hope this puts some minds at ease

post-147074-0-87713900-1408101048_thumb.

• Like 1

i have been today about getting a marriage visa, unfortunately i need to leave the country and get a NON B Prior to getting a marriage visa. I should of done this along time ago but didn't see the need up until now.

That is not right. You can't get a Non-Immigrant B visa because you do not do Business in Thailand.

You can either get a Non-Immigrant O visa for reason of marriage (can be single or multi-entry depending on consulate), or you can get an one year extension of stay for marriage at Thai immigration. For the latter out will require to show funds or income, and you will need multiple-entry permit.

Your post is confusing me.

< or you can get an one year extension of stay for marriage at Thai immigration. For the latter out will require to show funds or income, and you will need multiple-entry permit.>

If he has a multiple entry O visa doesn't need an extension as can visit as many times a year as desires without need to have 800,000 in the bank. To get an extension, only need a single entry non O provided money is in the bank long enough.

I understood the extension for marriage is only for 60 days if not on an O visa.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

I fear that this type of visitor is going to be collateral damage. Obviously they want this type of tourist in Thailand, as well as the expats working in HK or Singapore who like to come once or twice a month and maybe have a condo somewhere. But it's not going to be easy for Immigration officials to distinguish them and visa runners plus spending half the year in Thailand is border line between being a tourist and a resident. 180 days a year in Thailand qualifies you as a tax resident.

I fear that this type of visitor is going to be collateral damage. Obviously they want this type of tourist in Thailand, as well as the expats working in HK or Singapore who like to come once or twice a month and maybe have a condo somewhere. But it's not going to be easy for Immigration officials to distinguish them and visa runners plus spending half the year in Thailand is border line between being a tourist and a resident. 180 days a year in Thailand qualifies you as a tax resident.

Actually it's easy, "visa runners" do repeated Out/In while others don't.

Tax situation is irrelevant for Immigration purposes.

• Like 1

Saw this on Stickman:

I spend maybe 30% of the year in Thailand between jobs and never more than 2 weeks at a time. I have always had 30-day visa waiver stamps with no problem. That is until this Saturday when the lady at Immigration asked me why I had no visa. I explained it was because I stay here to holiday between jobs. She wasn't happy and asked for evidence that I worked abroad. I tried to argue that it was obvious that as I spent 70% of my time in Saudi, Japan, Indonesia etc, that I worked overseas, but she wasn't convinced. Luckily, I had a pay slip from my Emirati employer in my bag, which seemed to push me over the line. She then said that I can't keep using 30-day waivers and I have to get a proper visa. No reason was given. If this is how it is, then the thou$and$ I contribute to Thailand every month will be spent in Vietnam or Cambodia. I guess it's my fault for choosing to spend my free time in Thailand.

This may be the only time i may wish i were 50y/o...... Nah smile.png

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Don't worry, you'll get there. Before you know it.

Edited by balo

I came in via Suvarnabhumi last Friday evening. The Immigration Officer asked me before I even gave him my passport was "do you have a visa?". I replied I had a Non O (retirement extension) and a multiple re-entry permit. No problems after that. Talking to a few people while waiting for our bags some said they were asked the same question and some were not. I guess some Officers ask and some just look at your passport. It seems that they are certainly looking for people using the visa exempt route.

I came in via Suvarnabhumi last Friday evening. The Immigration Officer asked me before I even gave him my passport was "do you have a visa?". I replied I had a Non O (retirement extension) and a multiple re-entry permit. No problems after that. Talking to a few people while waiting for our bags some said they were asked the same question and some were not. I guess some Officers ask and some just look at your passport. It seems that they are certainly looking for people using the visa exempt route.

As mentioned many times. Officers may ask if you have a visa because that helps them locating it more quickly and avoid the mistake of stamping visa exempt when a visa or re-entry permit is present. Actually it is courteous to handle your passport open on the relevant page and mention that you have a visa. Note, they may ask no matter if one has filled the visa No. field in the arrival card, as some people may forget or do that incorrectly.

Officers do not need "to look for people using visa exempt". This kind of travellers appears spontaneously in from of them hundreds of times every day.

spidermike007, on 01 Aug 2014 - 12:40, said:

The military government seems to be designing policy without any regard for the financial impact it has on the local economy, nor on tourism. And it will have an impact. There are just too many choices guys like this have, when it comes to where he wants to spend his hard earned money. This is the kind of tourist Thailand wants to have here. He is spending good money, and creating problems for nobody. He leaves after 30 days, goes out and earns a lot more money, then comes back.The level of ignorance some of these immigration officers are conveying, is completely without regard to the well being of their country. Nothing wrong with strong immigration policy. There are a lot of undesirables here, and nothing wrong with the government trying to root them out. But, this kind of policy is simply wrong headed. It needs to be well considered, and it needs to be done in such a way that it does not cause great inconvenience to the kinds of tourists the country wants, and needs to have.

As I see it, the junta and immigration are changing the "norm" by using knee jerk thinking...the problem is, they are not trained/taught to think of any repercussions of the changes and when you have a culture that will NOT say the thinking is wrong, all yes men, then things become ridiculous, followed by patch up after patch up....bit like Microsoft products.

Microsoft products....now that is insulting.

But I reckon that Spidermike is right. The impact of these policies will be ugly. And people are very strange. If one regularly come here, spend buckets of cash, become a walking ATM and are ok with having virtually having no rights and then all of a sudden are rejected like a criminal - some people kind of turn and will never ever, ever come back. They will find other places, of which there are many. And Thailand will be off their list.

Not a lot of people had too much sympathy for the 30 day back to back folks, when they got booted. Of course what was not realised that a huge number are web based guys and functioned as an unofficial "we love Thailand" free publicity machine. After having their lives mashed, they will doubtless throw their campaign into reverse gear. We have already seen a few high profile negative articles on Thailand - and you can bet there will be more to come. Just what the country needs now.

Saw this on Stickman:

I spend maybe 30% of the year in Thailand between jobs and never more than 2 weeks at a time. I have always had 30-day visa waiver stamps with no problem. That is until this Saturday when the lady at Immigration asked me why I had no visa. I explained it was because I stay here to holiday between jobs. She wasn't happy and asked for evidence that I worked abroad. I tried to argue that it was obvious that as I spent 70% of my time in Saudi, Japan, Indonesia etc, that I worked overseas, but she wasn't convinced. Luckily, I had a pay slip from my Emirati employer in my bag, which seemed to push me over the line. She then said that I can't keep using 30-day waivers and I have to get a proper visa. No reason was given. If this is how it is, then the thou$and$ I contribute to Thailand every month will be spent in Vietnam or Cambodia. I guess it's my fault for choosing to spend my free time in Thailand.

Unfortunately, its worse than that.

All kinds of international tourism and expat forums are filling up with comments and remarks on why Thailand is no longer the place to be. I suspect a lot of these are from folks who feel insulted and are going to get their own back. The damage to the country image will be significant.

• Like 1

Hey Guy,

why press the issue after being told there wasn't one?

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

You should have just saluted and marched off.

Velcome to ze land of krackdown

Went for short 3 week holiday last month to Thailand.

Arrived 16.7,NEVER before immigration talk with me at all the years in thailand but this time guy asked me what i am doing here?

My passport is relative full of tourist visas and visa exempts so it his right to ask,but i have never done 30\30 runs,always atleast 1 month between visa exempts.

I just said holiday and he said ok,also adviced to get new passport.

Went for short 3 week holiday last month to Thailand.

Arrived 16.7,NEVER before immigration talk with me at all the years in thailand but this time guy asked me what i am doing here?

My passport is relative full of tourist visas and visa exempts so it his right to ask,but i have never done 30\30 runs,always atleast 1 month between visa exempts.

I just said holiday and he said ok,also adviced to get new passport.

Just seen this online, looks like the officers at the airport didn't know the rules. Anyhow got I'v got non o multiple entry now.

" He added that for offshore workers who work outside the country for several months and then return regularly, but also leave and stay out for a period of time, will have no issue leaving and re-entering the country. However, he said that if they want to stay longer than a month they can get a tourist visa or they can extend their stay by 7 days in the country. This also applies to those who travel to Thailand regularly but also go home regularly. He did confirm that those entering Thailand on a 30 day visa exempt entry can only extend for 7 days in Thailand; a tourist visa can extend for 30 days."

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Just seen this online, looks like the officers at the airport didn't know the rules. Anyhow got I'v got non o multiple entry now.

" He added that for offshore workers who work outside the country for several months and then return regularly, but also leave and stay out for a period of time, will have no issue leaving and re-entering the country. However, he said that if they want to stay longer than a month they can get a tourist visa or they can extend their stay by 7 days in the country. This also applies to those who travel to Thailand regularly but also go home regularly. He did confirm that those entering Thailand on a 30 day visa exempt entry can only extend for 7 days in Thailand; a tourist visa can extend for 30 days."

Already discussed in other thread, that is not what the new rules say, the person speaking may not have known and was not corrected.