Potential Jet Ski Scam foiled by Pattaya Port Authorities

webfact

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I long for the day where by the junta will ban all jetski business from operating until they

get their shit together and stop cheating people blind, how many more stories have to 

be told and how many people have to be hurt before somebody will do something about it...

• Like 1

Unbelievable that this scammer will get away scot free.........

"The Port authorities confirmed Khun Narongdaert’s operating license had expired and he was also found to be operating in a zone designated for swimmers and not Jet Ski’s. He is now under investigation by the Port authorities"

- See more at: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/137077/potential-jet-ski-scam-foiled-by-pattaya-port-authorities/#sthash.fFSzgJm9.dpuf

The jet ski operators are some of the most notorious to operate on Thailands shores. The authorities have known about these vermin for years now. Multiple reports have been done overseas, and much embarrassment has been done to the kingdom by these insect operators. Yes, even though this creep was found to be operating in an illegal zone, was found to be operating with an expired license, and was found to be extorting money out of the tourists, he was only slapped on the wrist? Will they ever get serious about one of the worst scams in the country, and the criminals who perpetrate them? What is going on here? Who are these guys connected to? Will the military teach them some much needed lessons? Kudos to the Chinese couple for not caving in to their silly demands. It was probably just a scratch. 

The reality is, this guy should have had every one of his jet skis impounded, with a fine of 10,000 baht each to get them back, once he proved his license was renewed, and he moved to a legal zone. And he should have been fined a million baht for trying to extort the tourists. Period. End of story. Either the authorities start behaving like grown men, and get real with the penalties, or they admit they are man children, incapable of discipline. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 2

Ban them they are run by criminals and are a hazard to swimmers.

...or replace them with buoyed off areas and licensed and insured companies, under the direct control of the port authority.

//Edit: As the PA would receive licensing money and the companies are paying it plus insurance etc - they will clean it up between themselves PDQ.

Each city has it's institutional scam. Pattaya the jet ski, diving in Phuket, and Karaoke in Chiang Mai where a beer can cost some poor guy 40,000 baht. Firstly it amazes me that people still fall for it. Do they not watch the programs on TV back home about it or read anything posted here? Second, I think it will never stop. If you shut this down, another city scam institution will pop up. At least any one with common sense knows about these. The best thing for damage limitation is always to go to the police to negotiate the claim as the Thai criminal justice system allows compromise.

Please elaborate on the ¨diving scams¨ in Phuket, that´s one I was unaware of and I have lived here 10 years.  We have tuk tuk scams, jet ski scams, annoying tailors etc.  But dive businesses.....  You pay your money and go diving.....

ok, I will reword it, somebody who doesnt work at the beach runs this scam and does the necessary things to make sure it remains operating, the guys on the beach are just doing what they are paid to do

Edited by slygeeza

"The Port authorities confirmed Khun Narongdaert’s operating license had expired and he was also found to be operating in a zone designated for swimmers and not Jet Ski’s. He is now under investigation by the Port authorities"

- See more at: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/137077/potential-jet-ski-scam-foiled-by-pattaya-port-authorities/#sthash.fFSzgJm9.dpuf

Operating in a swim zone. Yikes. Damages to a swimmer could have been far worse than that to the jet ski. Never mind the expired operating license.just don't give him, any member of his family, relative or associate a new one EVER.

I'm not sure there are any that DON'T operate in the swim zone.

Operating in a swim zone. Yikes. Damages to a swimmer could have been far worse than that to the jet ski. Never mind the expired operating license.just don't give him, any member of his family, relative or associate a new one EVER.

I'm not sure there are any that DON'T operate in the swim zone.

If that is true then they should all have their licenses revoked.

coffee1.gif

I thought these Jetski scammer should have insurance for their jetski to avoid scams...then again it goes on and on and onthumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif

hmm: Car rents have insurance but still take a B5000 'deposit' to cover unforeseen and often 'unseen' damage so I don't think the scams will stop. This is Thailand. ante up, suckers.sad.png

What you refer to is not a scam, it's called an "excess" that the insurance companies include in their policies and means the first 5000B (to use your example) of any claim is met by the insured.  If you damage a car why should the rental company pay for that repair if it's insurer applies an excess?

"The Port authorities confirmed Khun Narongdaerts operating license had expired and he was also found to be operating in a zone designated for swimmers and not Jet Skis. He is now under investigation by the Port authorities"

Can't see why the Chinese couple had to pay anything then. If the unlicensed guy hadn't been operating in an area designated for swimmers, they wouldn't have hit whatever they hit. But credit to them for finding a way to at least get the amount reduced.

Now if only the police would just do their job and do something about the scum who operated the jet ski, and not just the 21 year old front man. The jet ski should have been confiscated if the people are untraceable.

• Like 1

did the jetski have some kind of book, where it states what was fixed / repaired and when ?

as they next couple of idiots renting the jetski might end up paying for the same "damage" over and over again ...

coffee1.gif

I thought these Jetski scammer should have insurance for their jetski to avoid scams...then again it goes on and on and onthumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif

hmm: Car rents have insurance but still take a B5000 'deposit' to cover unforeseen and often 'unseen' damage so I don't think the scams will stop. This is Thailand. ante up, suckers.sad.png

No deposit on car rentals is to cover the part the insurance doesn't cover - it never covers the first x baht/dollars/pounds/Euros/etc simply to stop frivolous claims. These people are not being scammed for small deposits (lets face it a car costs 2+ million baht and has a 5k deposit - these jet skis cost 200k and change 60k for "malicious damage"). A small deposit of say 2k would probably by fine, paid up front and returned when it comes back unbuttered - any damage = loss of that deposit and end of story for punter (legitimate operator claims on the insurance - or does the repairs himself)

"...when it comes back unbuttered..."     Nothing worse than an unbuttered jetski.

• Like 1

Im surprised that the perp had the ordasity to escilate the complaint to pattaya police station

What?

What part of 'ordasity to escilate' don't you understand, Zeegator ? Check your dirkscionarie, for harven's sack !

Edited by Eurojomtien
  • Like 1

coffee1.gif

No deposit on car rentals is to cover the part the insurance doesn't cover - it never covers the first x baht/dollars/pounds/Euros/etc simply to stop frivolous claims. These people are not being scammed for small deposits (lets face it a car costs 2+ million baht and has a 5k deposit - these jet skis cost 200k and change 60k for "malicious damage"). A small deposit of say 2k would probably by fine, paid up front and returned when it comes back unbuttered - any damage = loss of that deposit and end of story for punter (legitimate operator claims on the insurance - or does the repairs himself)

"...when it comes back unbuttered..."     Nothing worse than an unbuttered jetski.

Except for an unbattered toast, perhaps.

Hate to read about jet ski scams and surely hate the scammers, but... jet ski altogether and their renters are a pain in the ar$e as well.

Noisy and a danger to swimmers. To hell with them all. Ban them, please.

I think mo$t re$ident$ here ab$olutely agree with you on thi$ one, Maximi££ian

Each city has it's institutional scam. Pattaya the jet ski, diving in Phuket, and Karaoke in Chiang Mai where a beer can cost some poor guy 40,000 baht. Firstly it amazes me that people still fall for it. Do they not watch the programs on TV back home about it or read anything posted here? Second, I think it will never stop. If you shut this down, another city scam institution will pop up. At least any one with common sense knows about these. The best thing for damage limitation is always to go to the police to negotiate the claim as the Thai criminal justice system allows compromise.

Please elaborate on the ¨diving scams¨ in Phuket, that´s one I was unaware of and I have lived here 10 years.  We have tuk tuk scams, jet ski scams, annoying tailors etc.  But dive businesses.....  You pay your money and go diving.....

Yes, please, Uncle Tony, tell us. What's the diving scam in Phuket ? do they give you oxygen bottles with laughing gas in it ? Do they keep you down there unless you pay a return fare ? How does it work ?

And 40,000 baht for a beer in Chiangmai ? Now that would titillate anyone's curiosity ! What brand, for a start ?

I'm surprised the jet ski scam hasn't come under the scrutiny of the junta... 

Yet? I hope they are being watched now by the junta. They seems to be everywhere, which I appreciate.

• Like 1

I had a similar experience many years ago with the Avis rental agent at Don Muang. He tried to get me to pay 5000 for damage that was listed on the sign out sheet saying that I made it worse which did not happen. I think he was counting on me needing to catch a flight but that was not the case so I waited him out while he threatened to call the police. He finally said that he would let it go this time as it wasn't serious.

I am sure this was just some Avis worker trying to get some pocket money as I am sure this is not Avis policy.

You should have kept copies of the contract, got the agent's name, and then file a formal complaint with Avis Corporate in Hayward, CA in the USA.  If fact, you still can. 

coffee1.gif

I prefer my jet ski's butter side up.... ;-)

Does the jetski mafia still operates from opposite Mikes ? My impression was that they've been forced to leave after the junta took over.

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

BUT:  if he was operating in a ZONE for swimmers,,,  then isnt it PRETTY OBVIOUS ??? !!!!

i mean:  the "so called" Port Authority would SEE HIM in an illegal area....  as well as the DAILY PASSING POLICE !!!

I also see Policemen REGULARLY HARASSING STREET SELLERS and bars (and cars and bikes)for their licence,,, 

i am pretty sure that the Police would check licences from Boat operators too, no?

(deleted)

either way,, it is negligent that the Port Authority turns a BLIND EYE to boat operators who are using an illegal zone for swimmers.

surely the Port Authority should be slapped on the wrist too during this investigation !!