Potential Jet Ski Scam foiled by Pattaya Port Authorities

webfact

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ban them they are run by criminals and are a hazard to swimmers.

...or replace them with buoyed off areas and licensed and insured companies, under the direct control of the port authority.

//Edit: As the PA would receive licensing money and the companies are paying it plus insurance etc - they will clean it up between themselves PDQ.

Edited by wolf5370
  • Like 2

well I see it going on regular on the beach with indian guys, it makes my blood boil, and I`m sure they ask for more than 15,000baht, a time, that is one scam I wish thw army would get involved in and jail the robbers, and in this case as in all ,the person who rents it never hits anything they just peel a bit of tape off where an existing scratch is and say they done it,

• Like 1

Unbelievable that this scammer will get away scot free.........
"The Port authorities confirmed Khun Narongdaerts operating license had expired and he was also found to be operating in a zone designated for swimmers and not Jet Skis. He is now under investigation by the Port authorities"
- See more at: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/137077/potential-jet-ski-scam-foiled-by-pattaya-port-authorities/#sthash.fFSzgJm9.dpuf

I can't foretell the future, so I am unable to comment about "Mr. Scott Free". LOL.
  • Like 1

"The Port authorities confirmed Khun Narongdaert’s operating license had expired and he was also found to be operating in a zone designated for swimmers and not Jet Ski’s. He is now under investigation by the Port authorities"

- See more at: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/137077/potential-jet-ski-scam-foiled-by-pattaya-port-authorities/#sthash.fFSzgJm9.dpuf

Operating in a swim zone. Yikes. Damages to a swimmer could have been far worse than that to the jet ski. Never mind the expired operating license.just don't give him, any member of his family, relative or associate a new one EVER.

• Like 1

I'm surprised the jet ski scam hasn't come under the scrutiny of the junta... 

The "Junta" will certainly get to this huge problem in Pattaya, - and also; don't be surprised to see the clearing of the beach along the entire stretch of the Walking Street, where people have been illegally constructing buildings - and where astonishing amounts of rent etc. have been pocketed by 'influential' people for many decades !  -  This is going to be quiet an eye-opener: stay tuned . . . . . .

giggle.gif

• Like 2

I was about to get out may party hat and mark "This day in history" on my calendar. clap2.gif But then saw it was just a discount if scam size...coffee1.gif  Hope springs eternal in an old geezers heart.... If hit a rock, guess it is too much to suggest perhaps marking an area for jet ski only, as suggested earlier. Some of those rocks may be swimmer's heads... All Jet skis should be registered, many photos kept by authorities so if scammers try, simple comparison possible. Post signs in several languages (including Chinese and Hindi) "If owner accuses you of damaging jet ski, report to station for resolution" or something like that. If false accusation, lock up jet ski and even owner for a few days.

I had a similar experience many years ago with the Avis rental agent at Don Muang. He tried to get me to pay 5000 for damage that was listed on the sign out sheet saying that I made it worse which did not happen. I think he was counting on me needing to catch a flight but that was not the case so I waited him out while he threatened to call the police. He finally said that he would let it go this time as it wasn't serious.

I am sure this was just some Avis worker trying to get some pocket money as I am sure this is not Avis policy.

krystian, on 01 Aug 2014 - 09:14, said:

I thought these Jetski scammer should have insurance for their jetski to avoid scams...then again it goes on and on and onthumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif

I would also like to know why he hired them out, in an area that had submerged rocks, also, why they were not marked and were the Chinese couple warned about them. If jet skis are hired out, then it is the responsibility of the owner to warn customers and/or not hire in an area with potentially dangerous submerged objects. If I was an insurance company, I would not pay out because the owner has been negligent.

coffee1.gif

I thought these Jetski scammer should have insurance for their jetski to avoid scams...then again it goes on and on and onthumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif

hmm: Car rents have insurance but still take a B5000 'deposit' to cover unforeseen and often 'unseen' damage so I don't think the scams will stop. This is Thailand. ante up, suckers.sad.png

Ban them they are run by criminals and are a hazard to swimmers.

...or replace them with buoyed off areas and licensed and insured companies, under the direct control of the port authority.

//Edit: As the PA would receive licensing money and the companies are paying it plus insurance etc - they will clean it up between themselves PDQ.

Each city has it's institutional scam. Pattaya the jet ski, diving in Phuket, and Karaoke in Chiang Mai where a beer can cost some poor guy 40,000 baht. Firstly it amazes me that people still fall for it. Do they not watch the programs on TV back home about it or read anything posted here? Second, I think it will never stop. If you shut this down, another city scam institution will pop up. At least any one with common sense knows about these. The best thing for damage limitation is always to go to the police to negotiate the claim as the Thai criminal justice system allows compromise.

• Like 2

coffee1.gif

hmm: Car rents have insurance but still take a B5000 'deposit' to cover unforeseen and often 'unseen' damage so I don't think the scams will stop. This is Thailand. ante up, suckers.sad.png

No deposit on car rentals is to cover the part the insurance doesn't cover - it never covers the first x baht/dollars/pounds/Euros/etc simply to stop frivolous claims. These people are not being scammed for small deposits (lets face it a car costs 2+ million baht and has a 5k deposit - these jet skis cost 200k and change 60k for "malicious damage"). A small deposit of say 2k would probably by fine, paid up front and returned when it comes back unbuttered - any damage = loss of that deposit and end of story for punter (legitimate operator claims on the insurance - or does the repairs himself)

How did the chinese manage to get to the Port Authority,doubt they happened to have the phone number, usually the scammers surround  you so u cant go anywhere..blink.png

Probably had a good guide as part of their party. Benefit of travelling around in groups of fifty - can afford the best guides.