Prayuth's dilemma: PM or not?

Lite Beer

Maybe...the general populace could hold an election to choose who the next PM will be.   Just sayin'.

Don't be silly, the wrong person might win, and then we would have to have a long period of subsidised street protests, followed by several judicial interventions, and then a coup.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

in the end, the General will keep unlimited power and authority, and the ability to wield fear on the corrupt.

Otherwise, he becomes another comma in the history of the country, and it goes back to being the cesspool of corruption, keeping Thailand back

If he can clean up corruption and then quietly leave after the job is done, that is great.  Unfortunately history is filled with so many examples of people who come to power claiming to change the system and then stay too long.  What was that old saying? Power corrupts.  Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Maybe...the general populace could hold an election to choose who the next PM will be.   Just sayin'.

And they will, hopefully sometime late next year, according to the junta.

and then everything can go back to normal

Talk is cheap.

Describe what normal is to you so the rest of us can understand.wai.gif

It will go back to what is normal for Thailand,it might take 6 months or so before corruption and dereliction of duty creeps back but that is what will happen,you surely don't think that without the iron fist of the junta Thais will become the model citizens of Asia. The house of Thailand has dry rot throughout the building and it will take more than a new coat of paint to save it from collapsing.

And they will, hopefully sometime late next year, according to the junta.

I tend to think that all the military officers that are likely to be taking up their new positions in the near future will be somewhat reluctant to concede their comfy new jobs.

Perhaps so, let's wait & see, whether they do the same as 2007 and hand power back to an elected-government, so that they can return to their comfy old jobs.

Even Thaksin & Yingluck felt it better, to leave them in their comfort-zone, I'm afraid that's a given in Thailand.

Posts critical of the military have been deleted as well as replies.    This is not permitted:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/729064-urgent-notice-to-members/?p=7883029

Bit of a pointless thread really  then  isnt it  seeing as it invites opinion. 

No it's not pointless as there are some posters out there that are slagging off the army for the sake of it and way OTT with their comments.

There is no problem in making a point that the general has things just not on song, or giving alternative views and this goes for the media as well.

It is the rogue element that is the problem trying to undermine the work that is being done-inroads in the clean up. I have a few doubts myself on a few of the measures but it does not make me criticize for the sake of it.  Another worry is the poster or Thai public that have an agenda to discredit, to me this is not healthy at this time. Freedom of speech is there, but it's when it is OTT and of no benefit only to cause trouble and incite violence then the army is right for the time being. The extreme element is the problem not mild opposition.

Don't be silly, the wrong person might win, and then we would have to have a long period of subsidised street protests, followed by several judicial interventions, and then a coup.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Typical negative post. OTT. sour grapes and no help whatsoever. This post reply is just stirring up -baiting. Most of us are aware that an election is not on and hasn't been for a few months as things were.   What is the point of making a statement about holding one NOW ??  with a reply like this to add.

In my opinion the General is not interested about becoming PM or holding any Government post in the future.

He is a patriot, he loves his country, and his aim is to uproot the rotten plants that litter Thailand after so many years of corrupt politics.

His aim is to find the right people, that can govern in honesty and competence and hand over the power to them, through elections and reestablishment of democracy.

The man is not hungry for money or power, but he wants to help his people.

I find articles like that are meant to undermine his good intentions.

So it's not about the fact that if Prayuth holds both posts and still remains Commander in Chief of the Army, he will be seen as holding back the progression of another general either from the Eastern Tigers or other factions within the army, causing a schism? Bearing in mind these two factors, "compulsory" retirement from the Army approaching on 30th September and the fact that the Head of the NCPO is the most powerful political position under the present constitution, I doubt that the fate of the "people" is in pole position of his thoughts at the moment.

You may have not noticed that these are not normal times so until he decides to inform everyone what is plans are it's far better not to speculate and doubt where his main thoughts are focused. He is obviously aware and was months ago, of his personal situation and factored that into his plans. However, it was no surprise to note after reading your post who the writer was.

typical negative post. OTT. sour grapes and no help whatsoever. This post reply is just stirring up -baiting. Most of us are aware that an election is not on and hasn't been for a few months as things were.   What is the point of making a statement about holding one NOW ??  with a reply like this to add.

Pure drivel. Some folk should not be allowed anywhere near a computer.  This country is going end up like its western neighbour, the land of the appointed.  Where are the representatives of the people?, why are the uniformed ones going to decide everything, oh yes I forgot they are the ones with the bigger guns.

• Like 1

typical negative post. OTT. sour grapes and no help whatsoever. This post reply is just stirring up -baiting. Most of us are aware that an election is not on and hasn't been for a few months as things were.   What is the point of making a statement about holding one NOW ??  with a reply like this to add.

Pure drivel. Some folk should not be allowed anywhere near a computer.  This country is going end up like its western neighbour, the land of the appointed.  Where are the representatives of the people?, why are the uniformed ones going to decide everything, oh yes I forgot they are the ones with the bigger guns.

Your post is not drivel it is a load of tripe, This country will end up far better than PTP ever dreamed, as they did sweet S all.  If you gen up on the planned 3 phases instead of sticking to an ancient old agenda. Thailand tried the peoples representatives 3 years ago and what did we get, an elected but a most diabolical government.

Quote "oh yes they are the ones with the bigger guns"      with this rubbish you ought to have time off the lap top.

so the next coup maker, is sure to be the next PM ... ?

demo-krazy ?

And the next P.M. hopefully will not flout the law, then another coup will not take place.

Exactly.She had the nerve to transfer an official whose views and behaviour didn't comply with her policy.An honourable government would never do such a thing...oh, wait.

In my opinion the General is not interested about becoming PM or holding any Government post in the future.

He is a patriot, he loves his country, and his aim is to uproot the rotten plants that litter Thailand after so many years of corrupt politics.

His aim is to find the right people, that can govern in honesty and competence and hand over the power to them, through elections and reestablishment of democracy.

The man is not hungry for money or power, but he wants to help his people.

I find articles like that are meant to undermine his good intentions.

So it's not about the fact that if Prayuth holds both posts and still remains Commander in Chief of the Army, he will be seen as holding back the progression of another general either from the Eastern Tigers or other factions within the army, causing a schism? Bearing in mind these two factors, "compulsory" retirement from the Army approaching on 30th September and the fact that the Head of the NCPO is the most powerful political position under the present constitution, I doubt that the fate of the "people" is in pole position of his thoughts at the moment.

You may have not noticed that these are not normal times so until he decides to inform everyone what is plans are it's far better not to speculate and doubt where his main thoughts are focused. He is obviously aware and was months ago, of his personal situation and factored that into his plans. However, it was no surprise to note after reading your post who the writer was.

As far as I am aware speculation hasn't been outlawed yet despite your misgivings. Would you like to comment on my speculation and point out the flaws if any. Or just go back to your complacency and accept everything you're about to receive?

Many generals have taken the lead in politics, few have made a good president or PM or any kind of political leader.

What qualifies a good political leader? The same question arrises when a business tycoon ascends to the "throne"; why so few succeed?

The main difference is that in military or in business, they rule absolutely and don't have to take into account dissenting opinions; subordinates have to obey, dissent is not encouraged. In politics, at least in a democracy, it's the opposite. Only those who are able to embrace different opinions, accept different opinons, will succeed.

Dwight D. Eisenhower is a good example of a general who became a good political leader. But he was elected!

Perhaps Charles De Gaule too, although not so sure.

The Portuguese generals who introduced democracy to Portugal are another good example, they faded out once democracy was established.

It's hard to give up the power once you have tasted it. It's like a drug.