The use of crash helmets will be discouraged in Deep South

Lite Beer

The use of crash helmets will be discouraged in Deep South

8-1-2014-9-33-06-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The forward command of the Internal Security Operations Command is to ask motorcyclists and pillion riders in the restive three southernmost provinces not to wear crash helmets as part of a preventive security measure, said Colonel Banpote Poonpien, spokesman of the ISOC, on Friday.

He said that the military also pondered the possibility of imposing safety zones in the restive region but was concerned that the proposal might hurt businesses.

The military, he added, has wanted redtape in justice system, especially regarding security-related cases, to be removed to speed up legal process. Witness protection programme was also considered, he continued.

Regarding peace talks with separatist groups which were suspended since February last year, the colonel said that the National Council for Peace and Order wanted the talks to be resumed.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/use-crash-helmets-will-discouraged-deep-south/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=use-crash-helmets-will-discouraged-deep-south

[thaipbs]2014-08-01[/thaipbs]

• Like 1

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

interesting to see how insurance company's see this on a death claim from a 3rd party (pick up hits and kills a motorbike rider no helmet)...i am looking at this in legal terms not what happens here daily (i know if a foreigner is killed with no helmet it does affect insurance claim etc)

Motorcycle riding accidents/deaths always provide the insurance companies with an easy escape clause.

• Like 2

Forward command is a backward command , to ask motorcyclists to wear no helmets, is forward command taking responsibility for any injuries that may occur , I think not, if security has been compromised by face recognition , make an order for them to be removed before entering a premises,if they are trying to stop drive by shootings  from a motorcycle , you don't think they will remove their helmets, blow you a kiss, then pose for the CCTV camera, this only will place more pressure on local doctors and hospitals with more than average head injuries, another pointless exercise on the problems in the South.. bah.gif

No explanation of WHY it is a "preventive security measure" in either the OP or the linked story. Do terrorists have distinctive faces from non terrorists? DO they hide bombs under their helmets?

?????????
  • Like 1

So they are encouraging people to break the law.....

Oh well if I get caught not wearing a helmet(which I never do, and mine are DOT approved) I will ask the cop to take it up with the military!!!  Phuket is in the south, close enough cheesy.gif mai pen rai

• Like 1

I envision two roadblocks, couple hundred meters apart. First road block get fined for wearing helmet, and take it off. Second one get fine for not wearing helmet, put it back on... you could do this over and over....

On the map of LoS will they draw the Thai equivalent of a Mason-Dixon line below which the law changes ?

This is a far better Idea.

Make everyone wear a crash helmet but without a motor bike.    Have some sort of body protection available similar to bullet proof vests.  Every village have an entrance and exit point as the do up in Issan, but with the army manning.

Towns are a different kettle of fish.  The people are the best ones to point out strangers in towns etc,  set up more people participation for local knowledge.

Have all motor cycles called in for a special RED or coloured plate, with the owners ID. any other on the road, arrest/apprehend.

Discourage the use of motorcycle helmets?  Words fail me.

I see they are also 'considering' a witness protection program.  Really, considering?  Again, words fail me.

Seriously, Thailand is a lost cause with this kind of thinking.

What do you mean "thinking"..

It's almost so totally moronic you can't believe it.. Someone, somewhere in authority came up with this idea, frightening,,,, and the people / advisors around him / her must have nodded in approval.

I know that people in Thailand are not stupid but why do they keep doing things like this that makes them appear so?

Anyway, just to pick out the obvious,, the use of helmets is "discouraged" so not illegal,, I assume so you can see peoples faces. So, if a terrorist were to be active wouldn't they just wear a helmet the same as always? Meanwhile other non terrorists get to die more readily on the roads, fantastic preventative measure by the people in authority.

• Like 2