CFL bulb questions

kdf

I have two questions regarding CFL bulbs.

First, the Thai man who does maintenance at my home says that some CFL bulbs will work in a Torchiere light fixture, with the base of the bulb facing down, but will not work in a ceiling can light with the base of the bulb facing up. Sounds like bull to me, but does the bulb's orientation have any relationship to its functioning? I think he is also saying that some are designed differently for these different uses, although I have never heard of such a thing or seen mention on any bulb packaging.

Second, this same man has told me that as these bulbs age and get a dark spot near the base, that they should be thrown away as they will fail within hours or a most a day or two. Again, I find this dubious, but am seeking a more informed opinion to help me work with this person.

Thanks

Some lamps are indeed orientation sensitive (usually exotic discharge lamps), but if there is no indication on the packaging stating otherwise CFLs are fine in any orientation. They may have reduced life in down-lighters if there is inadequate ventilation to keep the electronics cool.

I change mine when they stop working.

I have never had an issue with a normal 20-24w CFL light in down-light operation (and expect the are about the hottest) but had fast failure/overheat no light from the two 11w LED types I bought for the same fixtures.  Although with current decrease in price may try 7w models to see if any better luck when spare CFL are used.  As they normally last a very long time do not spend my life looking for dark spots but expect they can last a lot longer just as normal florescent tube lamps do.  

Thanks for the information on CFL bulbs.

As an aside, I bought some 5 watt LED, warm white bulbs and I like them much better than the CFL's I replaced.  I will be doing so as more pop.

thanks again.