Firefox, IE, HALO.... browser help

Tiger7Moth

Well, I get to show my ignorance again.  I am running Windows 8.1 with update.  My primary browser is Firefox.  But, somehow, other software gets involved and makes using Firefox less than pleasant.  When this happens, I remove Firefox, use IE and download Firefox all over again.

However, something called HALO has largely taken over IE.  With effort, I am able to get around this and finally download Firefox again (w/o the BS some other company has corrupted Firefox with). 

But, only a temporary solution as it is only a matter of time before Firefox becomes corrupted and I have to repeat the above.

So, firstly, if anyone knows how to get rid of the HALO crap on IE, please inform me.

Any other suggestions about browsers and how I can avoid constantly putting up with this annoying crap, would also be appreciated. 

Thanks very much  smile.pngsmile.png

bin windows 8 for another year until fully developed   problems for me also   8 is so tied up with other sponsers  difficult to avoid add ons and piggy back programs

I am running 8.1 with update.  I don't think my problem lies with Windows 8.1 and I am satisfied with it and with it's performance.

I am looking for browser and HALO info.  Thanks for your opinion.

Chicog please read the message again  nothing about blindly clicking   just for interest do you run W 8   ??????

Yes I do and this:

8 is so tied up with other sponsers  difficult to avoid add ons and piggy back programs

is rubbish.

bin windows 8 for another year until fully developed   problems for me also   8 is so tied up with other sponsers  difficult to avoid add ons and piggy back programs

I am running 8.1 with update.  I don't think my problem lies with Windows 8.1 and I am satisfied with it and with it's performance.

I am looking for browser and HALO info.  Thanks for your opinion.

Can't say I've ever heard of it.

Have you tried running SpyBot Search and Destroy/Adaware Free/Malwarebytes Free to see what they find?

And maybe

http://browsercheck.qualys.com

Chicog please read the message again  nothing about blindly clicking   just for interest do you run W 8   ??????

Yes I do and this:

8 is so tied up with other sponsers  difficult to avoid add ons and piggy back programs

is rubbish.

i am so happy you run w8    maybe now you can share your superior knoledge with the   OP

"But, somehow, other software gets involved and makes using Firefox less than pleasant. When this happens, I remove Firefox, use IE and download Firefox all over again.
However, something called HALO has largely taken over IE. With effort, I am able to get around this and finally download Firefox again (w/o the BS some other company has corrupted Firefox with)."

If you explain exactly what this "halo" thing does you will probably get some sensible answers. At the same time you could specify what the "other software" in Firefox is.

I suspect that they are all browser toolbars or add-ons that you are installing by clicking on commercial links willy-nilly, or that are being bundled with "free" software downloads.

• Like 1

Yes I do and this:

is rubbish.

i am so happy you run w8    maybe now you can share your superior knoledge with the   OP

Not only can I do that, but I can also recommend a decent spell checker if you need one.

• Like 1

What add-ons do you have installed in IE and Firefox ?

Disable/uninstall those you don't want/don't understand. That would include Halo.

Re-installing browsers is not the way to solve these problems.

And do be careful what you click on to install.

Edited by Hmmm
  • Like 1

Sounds like you may be talking Halo123 which is a browser hijacker a person can get from some downloads/clicking certain links.   It can infect IE, FF, Chrome, any browser.  See this Link for more info and how to remove it.   I use Win 8.1 with Chrome and IE11...no problems.

Thats actually HAO123, op says it is HALO.

Could it possibly be a missread/spell and the op is actually referring  to HOLA the unblocker?

Never heard of HALO, but I'm not an expert in the field.

"But, somehow, other software gets involved and makes using Firefox less than pleasant. When this happens, I remove Firefox, use IE and download Firefox all over again.
However, something called HALO has largely taken over IE. With effort, I am able to get around this and finally download Firefox again (w/o the BS some other company has corrupted Firefox with)."

If you explain exactly what this "halo" thing does you will probably get some sensible answers. At the same time you could specify what the "other software" in Firefox is.

I suspect that they are all browser toolbars or add-ons that you are installing by clicking on commercial links willy-nilly, or that are being bundled with "free" software downloads.

Thanks for the willy-nilly remark, very helpful.  If you don't know what HALO is, you are of no use to me.

Must be nice to have an attitude of superiority, my congrats.  bah.gif

Sounds like you may be talking Halo123 which is a browser hijacker a person can get from some downloads/clicking certain links.   It can infect IE, FF, Chrome, any browser.  See this Link for more info and how to remove it.   I use Win 8.1 with Chrome and IE11...no problems.

Thanks.  Upon inspection, underneath, it is Halo123 and I will checkout the link you provided.

Heard a lot of good things about Chrome, but, Google's relationship with the US NSA concerns me (not that I am an arms dealer - just don't like how all privacy is disappearing.

Thanks again.  biggrin.png

Thanks.  Upon inspection, underneath, it is Halo123 and I will checkout the link you provided.

Heard a lot of good things about Chrome, but, Google's relationship with the US NSA concerns me (not that I am an arms dealer - just don't like how all privacy is disappearing.

Thanks again.  biggrin.png

I had been an IE man all my life, both at home and at work.  But almost a year ago I decided to switch to Chrome as my primary browser for various reasons and also continuing to use IE as my secondary/backup browser.  I finalized my decision after loading Chrome, IE and FF on my computer and for about a month doing my best to use each one equally/one-third of the time to personally experience the pros and cons, likes and dislikes of each browser.   i also read review after review, comparison after comparison, etc., regarding the three browsers.  But it was my hands on use of each browser that had the greatest impact on my decision to go with Chrome as my primary, IE as my secondary, and I just uninstalled FF.

Sometimes you just need to use another browser if a certain sites are having issues with one browser...heck, happened to me just this week in paying my Capital One credit card bills...the CapOne site is having certain issues with Chrome right now displaying certain menus (and I experienced the problem with Chrome) and they recommended using another browser until they fix the problem.   So, I logged back on using IE11 and everything displayed properly.  I even have an issue in using the ThaiVisa editor with quoting multiple posts when using Chrome, but if using IE absolutely no problem at all.   IE seems to provide the best compatibility with the zillions of websites out there in internet land, but it is solely lacking in extension/add-ons compared to Chrome and FF. 

Thanks.  I used the link and it worked!  biggrin.png

Cool...I helped someone today.  That combined with I've reached my nightly beer limit means I can sign off and go night-night.  

• Like 2

Try downloading Hitman  Pro alert,its free and works with most browsers

it pops out and tells you if anything is infecting the browser,and prevents

future infections.does not slow anything down.

regards worgeordie

Thanks for the willy-nilly remark, very helpful.  If you don't know what HALO is, you are of no use to me.

Must be nice to have an attitude of superiority, my congrats.

If you cant be bothered to explain exactly what your problem is then you probably deserve everything bad that happens to you. I certainly wont waste any of my time trying to help you, so good luck.

Must be nice to have an attitude of superiority, my congrats.

If you cant be bothered to explain exactly what your problem is then you probably deserve everything bad that happens to you. I certainly wont waste any of my time trying to help you, so good luck.

Please, don't waste your precious, useless time again.  And, please don't waste my time.

Thanks to helpful individuals, problem solved without the use of your precious time.  bah.gifbah.gif

But almost a year ago I decided to switch to Chrome as my primary browser for various reasons and also continuing to use IE as my secondary/backup browser.

http://www.comodo.com/home/browsers-toolbars/browser.php

https://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron.php

http://lifehacker.com/four-alternative-useful-browsers-based-off-of-google-c-1558525397

But almost a year ago I decided to switch to Chrome as my primary browser for various reasons and also continuing to use IE as my secondary/backup browser.

http://www.comodo.com/home/browsers-toolbars/browser.php

https://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron.php

http://lifehacker.com/four-alternative-useful-browsers-based-off-of-google-c-1558525397

Thanks for the references,  biggrin.png