Being Extorted -- 10k for a dead cat.

Nautilus05

That's a bit expensive, is it not?  10,000 THB for a dead cat?

I'm sorry, but I don't feel responsible for that cat getting killed.  We've been here almost a year exactly, so it's no secret two dogs live in this yard, and the cat is always around, so it knew this as well.  I was just having a nap, and the front door was open as usual, with the dogs out in the (gated & fenced) yard.  I get woken up to some cat screaming for their lives, and by the time I get dressed, downstairs, and outside the cat is already 95% dead.

So I just went back inside for 10 minutes, and let my one dog finish the thing off.  It was WAY past the point of salvation, so trying to rescue it would have done nothing except prolong its suffering.  By the time I got to it, it was already a goner.  Then I threw some work gloves on, wrapped it up in a bunch of plastic bags + couple black garbage bags, and pitched it into the garbage bin.  Apparently someone seen this though, and the owner of the cat, because they came by and told me I owe them 10k because my dogs killed their cat.

I'm sorry, but how is it my fault your cat came into my yard?  It's not like my dogs were roaming the streets.

Edited by Nautilus05

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked the one when the car driver drove over the dog.

Same but different?

What one?

Mate, earlier this year.

Went on for over 10 pages ... might have even hit the 20 pages mark.

Sorry I can't be more precise.

Maybe one of the other members can remember it.

But we do digress from the OP's predicament.

Who has, by his own admission, two castrated aggressive (fiercely protective) canines.

Which, inside his own place, is perfectly reasonable.

Truly incredible !!!

I hope neighbors take it all the way and make you pay and after you pay , make your life a miserable nightmare.

One thing is not seeing or knowing, another "letting one dog finish it"

He did nothing wrong. Letting the dog finish the nearly dead cat was compassionate.

Says who? you or God?

It is better to be beaten to death or beaten almost to death?

Is OP a veterinarian to determine cats health at the time?

He HAD to get dressed to go down in his own house? truly caring and compassionate human being, should be rewardedbah.gif

• Like 2

He HAD to get dressed to go down in his own house? truly caring and compassionate human being, should be rewardedbah.gif.pagespeed.ce.-cCHYEZ1Lo.gif "

Sorry, I do not understand this. When my dog starts going ape in the middle of the night, I throw on shorts and t-shirt and then go and see what the commotion is about.

I would offer the guy a token amount so he can walk away as if he has won. If not you are going t be woken one night with your dogs howling in agony and you having to watch them die through poisoning. Had it happen a couple of times now and it is not nice to watch. It all depends on how much you think of your dogs really.

I had a pitbull that was kept in a gated garden yet he never bothered any of the various strays that wondered into the garden during the day and night. I would say that dogs that rip any animals they get near need to be taught how to behave. 

Truly incredible !!!

I hope neighbors take it all the way and make you pay and after you pay , make your life a miserable nightmare.

Huh?  Well, what would you have done?  Scared the dogs off, took the cat inside, put it on a towel, and let it twitch in agonizing pain & suffering while gasping for air for the next 30 - 60 minutes before it finally died?  By the time I got to it, it was way past the point of no return, so when I decided to let my dog "finish it", it probably stopped breathing within 2 - 3 minutes.  I'd say that was the most humane thing to do.

Then it's not like I left it there for my dogs to use as a chew toy / meal.  I was back out right away, after I knew it was dead.  Honestly though, that was mainly because I was worried about what diseases the cat may be carrying.

. I don't think you owe  money,  IF the cat indeed wondered into your yard  but I don't think you acted properly, either.

A cat goes into a yard where there are dogs? I have to doubt the entire post, however for the sake of conversation-
The point where you did not take responsibility for an animal  being attacked on your property, at hands of your dogs  is where you go wrong.

Get the dogs away from it,  spare it the " two ,three... ten  minutes" of continued attack. 

Decapitation or breaking the neck is an excellent  and safe for you emergency euthanasia if the animal is that " far gone". Every one has a large knife in their kitchen,  just whack it on the neck

"Gone too far.." indicates prone and motionless, so no danger to you.

And sounds to me you did allow it to be a chew toy for two or three minutes or was it four or five? You mention ten minutes, too.

However  dogs usually immediately  just shake a cat and break it's neck. I  have had several  die this way from neighborhood packs and one pet dog, ( who then went bye bye ) . 

" Too far gone..to help..."  you are simply avoiding dealing with it.

I think throwing it it the garbage is a bit irresponsible too. You might have asked around  first if it was someone's pet.

You may well have brought on the demise of your dogs, and poisoning is a horrid way to go for them.

Edited by EBlair48

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Just say no.
No, I didn't see anything.
No, I don't know anything.
No, I didn't do anything.
No, I'm not paying anything.

No it wasn't me putting the cat in the bin.

Think he might be past the point of denial. But OP, 10k is a lot for a cat even with emotional issues included. Go to the pet shop and get them a kitten.

With a collar and nametag......................wink.png

• Like 2

Sorry - but you sound like another selfish dog owner.  So many dog owners seem to believe their dogs have a divine right to bark, dump and maim and it's just never their fault.  I guess the owners of the Pit Bull who savaged the lady in Hua Hin (in the news today) are also feeling hard done to.

• Like 2

RIP poor little kitty.

My 4 cats have killed at least 50 of my neighbor's free range chickens (chicks) that were constantly coming into my front yard.

I have had no attempts to extort money from my neighbor and we have good relations.

I suggest you simply smile and be nice and sympathetic and polite and wait and see if this extortion attempt goes any further. The chances are this problem will go away all by itself without you having to pay anything.

The police are really going to be bothered having to deal with this.

Relax.

Edited by 96tehtarp

Sorry - but you sound like another selfish dog owner.  So many dog owners seem to believe their dogs have a divine right to bark, dump and maim and it's just never their fault.  I guess the owners of the Pit Bull who savaged the lady in Hua Hin (in the news today) are also feeling hard done to.

Are you mental, the dogs were on the OPs property, the cat wasn't on its owner's property.

Edited by tonytigerbkk
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Truly incredible !!!

Huh?  Well, what would you have done?  Scared the dogs off, took the cat inside, put it on a towel, and let it twitch in agonizing pain & suffering while gasping for air for the next 30 - 60 minutes before it finally died?  By the time I got to it, it was way past the point of no return, so when I decided to let my dog "finish it", it probably stopped breathing within 2 - 3 minutes.  I'd say that was the most humane thing to do.

Then it's not like I left it there for my dogs to use as a chew toy / meal.  I was back out right away, after I knew it was dead.  Honestly though, that was mainly because I was worried about what diseases the cat may be carrying.

. I don't think you owe  money,  IF the cat indeed wondered into your yard  but I don't think you acted properly, either.

A cat goes into a yard where there are dogs? I have to doubt the entire post, however for the sake of conversation-
The point where you did not take responsibility for an animal  being attacked on your property, at hands of your dogs  is where you go wrong.

Get the dogs away from it,  spare it the " two ,three... ten  minutes" of continued attack. 

Decapitation or breaking the neck is an excellent  and safe for you emergency euthanasia if the animal is that " far gone". Every one has a large knife in their kitchen,  just whack it on the neck

And sounds to me you did allow it to be a chew toy for two or three minutes or was it four or five? You mention ten minutes, too.

However  dogs usually immediately  just shake a cat and break it's neck. I  have had several  die this way from neighborhood packs and one pet dog, ( who then went bye bye ) . 

I think throwing it it the garbage is a bit irresponsible too. You might have asked around  first if it was someone's pet.

You may well have brought on the demise of your dogs, and poisoning is a horrid way to go for them.

Your point about cats going into yards where there are dogs, I would disagree. We have two dogs and almost every evening we have cats around the house. Fair enough, the dogs are inside some of the time.

Buut, I am sure in their animal kingdom understanding, the cats know they are dead if the dogs ever get them. They are two fully grown Siberians with an extremely high prey drive. Anything small and furry is fair game to them. No problem with humans or other dogs, but small and furry? Gerbils, rats, you name it..............rolleyes.gif

In fact, recently I have had to put them on a lead in the park where they used to free-roam because they nearly had a little girl's rabbit, that she had out for a walk on a lead! True story.

Truly incredible !!!

Your point about cats going into yards where there are dogs, I would disagree. We have two dogs and almost every evening we have cats around the house. Fair enough, the dogs are inside some of the time.

Buut, I am sure in their animal kingdom understanding, the cats know they are dead if the dogs ever get them. They are two fully grown Siberians with an extremely high prey drive. Anything small and furry is fair game to them. No problem with humans or other dogs, but small and furry? Gerbils, rats, you name it..............rolleyes.gif

In fact, recently I have had to put them on a lead in the park where they used to free-roam because they nearly had a little girl's rabbit, that she had out for a walk on a lead! True story.

To my surprise my dog shares his food with birds, watching them when they finish his food. Sometimes he is just 30 cm away from them.

But cats are another story......

Usually a cat that isn't complete degenerated doesn't go close to dogs, is way faster and can climb. But I can catch these overfeed cats of some neighbors....

*shrug*  I don't know, but I'm quite confident that was the carcass of a dead cat I threw into the garbage.  I'm not sure how / why the cat came into the yard, but he's always been around, especially at night.  My backdoor is just a screen door, and nearly every night one of my dogs will let out a quick bark or two, because the cat is walking on top of the wall.

I'm sorry, but I disagree.  I take excellent care of my dogs, and am probably one of the more respectable dog owners around.  They're only allowed out in the (gated & fenced) yard between 8:30am - 3:30pm (while everyone is at school / work / wherever).  Then again between about 9pm and 11pm (after dinner and evening commotion), and that's it.  And for the longest time they weren't even allowed out between 9 - 11pm, but have since realized there's no barking allowed once the sun goes down, and have been excellent about it.

How about people take care of their own pets, and I'll take care of mine?  If you want to let your pets aimlessly wander around the streets, go for it, but don't get surprised when something happens to one of them -- hit by a car, bitten by a snake, attacked by dogs, etc.

Ahhh...  so I should have gotten my dog away from it, took it into the kitchen, put it on a cutting board, and chopped its head off with a knife.  That would have been much more humane.  Alright, will remember that for next time.  I'm curious, should I yell out "Allah akBhar!" when I do that, or no need?

Edited by Nautilus05
  • Like 1