US Lawyer moving to Thailand

Reading this thread one would get the sense that no farang has ever gotten a job in Thailand ever. 

There's a list as long as your arm of prohibited occupations, the work permit and visa system is arcane and designed to be unworkable, company environments are caustic and micromanaging, the pay is terrible, most employers think you have no rights, there's a military junta in charge and on top of all of that there's a crackdown right now on foreign workers.

That's why people are being negative. Because they spend their whole lives jumping through hoops to have the privilege of being treated like dirt.

And don't tell me the crackdown is only on border runners - I don't think most Thais know or care about the difference.

of course a lot of your comments could be applicable to the teaching game, but just to present an opposing view point for balance after working in Thailand for nearly 14 years,  but not in the teaching game

The Thai WP system is what is is ,in fact is the system is a lot easier than some I have worked under in various parts of the including the US, all your hoop jumping is done upfront in US prior to being issued a work visa and is quite expensive, but once you have it they leave you alone for a few year (it took me nearly 6 months to get mine for the US) 

The Thai system is pretty easy up front, but yes, there are spells of minor hoop jumping once a year; but its cheap ,but its hardly a major hassle once a year. 

If one imagines a "US style" system in Thailand, one suspects half the people currently working in Thailand wouldnt qualify under such visa system to work in Thailand anyway

The system is most certainly not designed to be unworkable and is very similar instructure to other countries I have worked, one suspects people use terms arcane/unworkable one presumes they cant qualify for the WP hence the comments like this

In my experience the work enviroment in the game I am in is no different to anywhere else in the world I have worked, you get caustic/micromanging people everywhere, and Thailand is no different, in fact in my experience there are far fewer in Thailand.

As regards pay, certainly in the business I am in expats are paid comparable salaries with the west, in fact in a lot of cases more than they would be getting in the US or europe

Workers rights.... you are covered under the DOL regulations same as a Thai national, and the DOL is one of the better goverment departments looking out for people, Thai or Farang

Military junta has nothing to do with any of this, the immigration crack down is on foreigner workers working illegally, if your legal you have no problem, immigration is fed up with people taking the p*ss, so this why its happening, its not an anti-farang ot foreigner thing, as if this was true, they wouldnt be registering Cambodian & Burmese workers would they, they would be throwing them out wouldnt they ?

Your post reeks of self entitlement, unfactual generalisations, whinging and feet stamping becasue you cant get your own way because your a lilly white farang and you want special treatment .. 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Russian, a Cuban, an American and a lawyer are in a train.

The Russian takes a bottle of the best Vodka out of his pack; pours some into a glass, drinks it, and says: "In USSR, we have the best vodka of the world, nowhere in the world you can find Vodka as good as the one we produce in Ukraine. And we have so much of it, that we can just throw it away..." Saying that, he opens the window and throws the rest of the bottle through it. All the others are quite impressed.

The Cuban takes out a pack of Havana's, takes one of them, lights it and begins to smoke it saying: "In Cuba, we have the best cigars of the world: Havana's. Nowhere in the world there is so many and so good a cigar and we have so much of them, that we can just throw them away...". Saying that, he throws the pack of Havana's through the window. One more time, everybody is quite impressed.

At this time, the American just stands up, opens the window, and throws the lawyer through it.