Tourism department sets new standard for jet ski rental service

Lite Beer

its a good start.. how about mandatory insurance paid by the jet ski owner

Yes, anything to get rid of the unethical behaviour of these louts but I think you may have missed this one sentence.

" Second, all jet skis must be registered and licensed, WITH A VALID INSURANCE POLICY." Hopefully, this with put a stop to the damage scams that have been going on for ages.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

we have a forienger who owns 4 jet skis in pattaya opposite soi 2,his crew scam often,and now he has taken the ''bafflels off the exhaust system ''i guess hoping to attract custumers with the sound of his machines''they now rumble and caugh,like they are faster and so powerful'',i hope you are reading this you A-hole....you and your little posie of thai muts are scum...ps...have a god day

The standard was drawn up "soon" after the appearance of YouTube videos showing some jet-ski rental shops in Thailand taking advantage of foreign customers.

These videos surfaced years ago probably going back 5 years with J.J threatening to shoot customers. Foreign diplomats have been raising these scams for years. So I guess if a thai says he will take care of it soon that means somewhere in 5+ years.

I don't have a crystal ball, so I can't foretell what the situation will be 5+ into the future. from all the changes that have taken place since May, I am optimistic.

I suppose any action for improvement will be met with skepticism, which may have some validity. However, having been here on and off for the past 20 years, and now living here full-time, many things that were foretold as never going to happen, have.

The time frame for implementation is not under my control. I am happy when improvements come and look forward to any that make Thailand safer, less corrupt and more enjoyable.

One Day at a Time

If they conform they will get a :Merry Elephant emblem"? If they don't, a Grumpy Jumbo? Who thinks these things up?

Many countries use various emblems as an indicator of quality service, which is regulated or inspected.

The elephant is a Thai symbol and if used to denote adherence to some sort of standards, it may be of use to those less knowledgable.

Who is going to enforce these regulations the "Merry Elephant" !,and

will the punishment be more than a slap on the wrist or Bht 500 fine.

regards Worgeordie

Yes, it's the issue with all of Thailands laws and standards. They exist, but without enforcement, they are meaningless. In the recent case of an attempted jet ski extortion on a Chinese couple, the guy had no license and was operating in a swimmers zone. Nice to have a merry elephant for the good guys, but how about a prison cell for the bad ones?

Suggestion: forbid all jet skis.

Problem solved.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

It took three pages for someone to suggest this obvious solution, not that it will happen. Unless, perhaps, someone is killed by one, since that's just a matter of time.

Jet skis are for losers, over-grown kids who like the feeling of power they give, just a flick of the wrist and you can zoom around like an action star. Never mind they're annoyingly loud, make that part of the beach inaccessible to swimmers, and pollute the water. And, obviously, attract a criminal element.

On another beach, I won't say where, where jet skis had just been introduced, I overheard a couple of falang who live there discussing ways to permanently disable them after hours. Sounds like poetic justice--the owners falsely claim damage, maybe they should see what real damage looks like. laugh.png

• Like 1

so this insurance will cover you using a jet ski without a boat captains licence, right? you do know that no boat/ski/floating thing with an engine can be operated in thai waters without a thai licence?

makes the whole thing a pile of...............

problem is:

They (TAT) seems to get money (tee-m..) for this. I get nothing for telling the truth ... So they are much more motivated ...

Obviously, TAT is a making PR for the Jet ski mafia (organized criminals.

"Nautical tourism is considered a highlight of tourism in the coastal areas of Thailand," Arnupap said."The revenue generated from this type of tourism is an important source of income in both high and low seasons."

Bad joke: (legal)Revenues from jetski mafia are such a small part of the whole tourism industry, I will not even guess how small (do not forget: TAT gives no number! (because ALL the money is made illegal! NO TAX paying!

The killing and extortion is going on, in plain view of everyone...

Nothing to deny, I have seen it and everyone who wants to see it can see it everyday.

Just the using of high powered boats (jet-skis ) by people with no license at beaches where thousands of people are swimming.

It just says a lot of the status of this country (with regard to influence of criminals ...)

Edited by dieter1

It will Never happen on Pattaya beach unless there are Non corrupt Military standing next to each Jet ski Mafia thugster and watching them. They spray paint screeches lightly before a customer takes out a Jet Ski and the paint comes off and then making you pay 30,000 + baht for repairs.... I have seen it many times....

• Like 2

No wonder Thailand is in such a mess, just how many government authorities can make rules/laws. Jet skis are a business catering to the tourism industry, but no way under the control of the Tourism department. Control of these rats is under the local authorities, the police and the Marine departments. The Marine dept. up to the high tide mark, the police and local authorities above that mark.... Once again, I ask, why hasn't the governor ask to explain his failure to administer Phuket.

"At the same time, we are encouraging jet-ski business operators in Thailand to recognise the needs and importance of the standard, and to move promptly to improve their service quality, the skills of their staff, and their business ethics, in order to meet with the standard set by the department," Arnupap said.

Rental shops that comply with the new standard are eligible for the department's "Merry Elephant" Thailand Tourism Standard emblem, but they must first be registered companies or juristic persons that have been in business for more than three months and must have permanent addresses.

This is a big part of the problem. You just know the officials are not taking this seriously, when a guy like Arnupap says something as foolish as this. Operators in Thailand need to recognize the needs and importance of the standard. What about enforcement? What about the threat of arrest? After all, many assaults have been reported. Tourists threatened at gun point, or with a machete, or beaten up. What happened to those operators? Are they in prison? How serious are you Mr. Arnupap? Serious enough to make sure these thugs get convicted, and serve hard time in prison? Why would a guy who is accustomed to earning an extra 200,000 baht per week, through extortion of tourists, without any fear of prosecution, change his ways? Because Arnupap drew up some standards? Because he asked them nicely? Is it not time that Thai officials started behaving like men, and doing what real men do throughout the world, to thugs and criminals? Real men do not let criminals off, with a slap on the wrist. That is not how real men behave. End of story.

• Like 1

"the standard was drawn up" ?

these practises are going on since years and since years you can find this on youtube !!!

why not have all those jetski under the REAL supervision of the port authorities... in most countries you as a driver need a special licence !!!

but life is cheap here (someone gets hits, dies, ...) and regulation are met with brown envelopes

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

It will Never happen on Pattaya beach unless there are Non corrupt Military standing next to each Jet ski Mafia thugster and watching them. They spray paint screeches lightly before a customer takes out a Jet Ski and the paint comes off and then making you pay 30,000 + baht for repairs.... I have seen it many times....

This have been going on for decades, but still the tourists keep on renting from them despite they know they gone get ripped off, so who is the stupid ones? Welcome to LOS (land of scams)

• 3 weeks later...

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

This have been going on for decades, but still the tourists keep on renting from them despite they know they gone get ripped off, so who is the stupid ones? Welcome to LOS (land of scams)

The answer is they don't know. if they have never been and even if they are internet savy they may search hotels night life, gogos etc but to expect them to research scams when they are looking forward to a holiday? come on !

• Like 1