เงิบ (ngerp) slang meaning?

NaiGreg

hiding.

Example
My girl goes to look in my wallet, I stop her (because I'm hiding something)
ne-ip
My girl grabs my phone, but I snatch it back because I don't want her to see the SMS from my gik
ne-ip

Slang, as Thai person says, not proper word to use. Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

Never heard of it before but apparently it's slang (of Isan origin) with several varied meanings, many of them expressing a feeling of being shocked and not knowing what to say
eg
inter alia...used to express shock, an exclamation equivalent to shit! or damn!, very surprised, to lose face etc
Can also mean to laugh until you fall over.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nk8pZIy41jw
https://th.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130227181008AA0eulc

It's mean something very difference when you misunderstanding or you totally feel you are losing your face and we call the person "เงิบ" or Ngerb

Such as "I post in this forum and insulted someone by misunderstanding or intended to that the person was guilty then another third person found the proof and corrected my post, you can call my reaction as "เงิบ" "Ngerb".

One more example, you found the girl very cute on the street somewhere in Nana, you approached her got her contact info, after spent a long time chatting, dating, the moment that you on the bed with her and you just found out she has the same part with you,

now i'm saying your reaction as "เงิบ" "Ngerb"

Contact me anytime for more slang,

Regards,

Thai

• Like 1

หงายเงิบ = หงายหลัง หกล้ม (from slang dict. on net)

เงิบ by itself explained in link

All very interesting, but I still don't believe I have actually heard anyone utter this term.

Maybe I am hanging with the wrong crowd.

One phrase I do hear a lot of in conversation lately is: นึกออกไหม

I always thought นึก meant 'think', so I considered นึกออกไหม as rather insulting, (do you get it? are you with me? etc) as if one is questioning the listener's mental abilities or power to grasp a concept.

My wife, who uses this term constantly, says there is nothing wrong with it.

Can anyone enlighten me on this?

All very interesting, but I still don't believe I have actually heard anyone utter this term.

Maybe I am hanging with the wrong crowd.

One phrase I do hear a lot of in conversation lately is: นึกออกไหม

I always thought นึก meant 'think', so I considered นึกออกไหม as rather insulting, (do you get it? are you with me? etc) as if one is questioning the listener's mental abilities or power to grasp a concept.

My wife, who uses this term constantly, says there is nothing wrong with it.

Can anyone enlighten me on this?

You were right, but it's not insulting 

do you get it? are you with me? = correct

I would like to compare with the word figure out = นึกออก

Can you figure out?, you get it? = คุณนึกออกไหม

I can't figure out why you don't like him  = ฉัน นึกไม่ออก ว่าทำไมคุณถึงไม่ชอบเขา

and Realize

I just realized how to solve the problem = ฉัน เพิ่ง นึกออก ว่าจะแก้ปัญหายังไง

Regards,

Thai

Edited by TVeronica

Is เงิบ pronounced [HS]ngoep or [FL]ngoep?

I can't answer this as I don't know the word, sorry.

But, I would imagine as it has no tone mark it would be falling long sound, similar to "ngiab". I can't think of any similar looking word with a high tone -  please give me an example.

เงง  is another slang word I've heard, meaning bored and confused but it has different types of consonant endings which you know and I don't.

But, I would imagine as it has no tone mark it would be falling long sound, similar to "ngiab". I can't think of any similar looking word with a high tone -  please give me an example.

นึก is a similar-looking word with a short vowel and a high tone.   เงิบ is ambiguous as to tone because the vowel length is ambiguous - falling with a short vowel would be *เงิ่บ and high with a long vowel would be *เงิ้บ.

นึก is a similar-looking word with a short vowel and a high tone.   เงิบ is ambiguous as to tone because the vowel length is ambiguous - falling with a short vowel would be *เงิ่บ and high with a long vowel would be *เงิ้บ.

Perhaps i shouldn't have bothered as I am useless at writing Thai and you are what I consider an expert.

The words you quote look nothing alike to me but I can see that the initial consonants are both low and the final ones are dead.