Visa Application For Spouse

I am retiring in Thailand January 2007. :o The paperwork for my Thai Visa is coming along OK. But, the problem, or puzzle, I'm looking at is the paperwork for my wife's Thai Visa. On the Thai Visa application for my wife, there are blocks that I need a little help with.

I wrote under "Nationality" - United States

I wrote under "Nationality at Birth" - Thailand

I wrote under "Place of Birth" - Thailand

I wrote under "Name" - "Her Furlong Name"

Please advise on whether these are stated correctly.

She possesses a Thai ID card.

She cannot be convinced to use her Thai Passport. Her unshakable fear, and I cannot convince her otherwise, is that she could potentially lose her social security benefits when she turns 62; or also upon my death a portion of my pension. We have been married 35 years and she is 57 years old and I also would not want to risk continuation of these benefits whether I'm still alive or not.

Thanks, BM

In terms of her using her Thai passport to live in Thailand and keeping he US nationality, there is no problem in practice. I personally have two close friends who are dual Thai/US nationals, and it is common knowledge that the Thai Prime Ministers children were all born in the US, making them dual nationals as well.

So if part of her fear (like many Thai people I have met) is based on that, then you should try and reassure her Thailand has no problems with dual nationality.

As for the social security benefits, this is a different issue. Though I can't see how SS would be able to revoke someones rights to a pension if it discriminates against her as a US citizen. That she chooses to live in Thailand on her Thai passport is her right. Even if she is here in Thailand travelling on a Thai passport does not change the fact that she is still a US national, and should be treated as such for administrative purposes.

Afterall, the converse is quite true, dual nationals living abroad are still expected to declare there income to the IRS.