Coming to the end of the visa run - local language schools may suffer most

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

private schools like Regent school ask about 1 million thb /year for 1 child (food ,sleeping in ,........)
And they can not pay a teacher a decent salary so he can pay for his own wp? 

Again someone who can't differentiate between the different types of school that teach English and who hasn't checked their facts.
  • Like 1

I would love to work here legally teaching English, but I'm on a retirement visa, and I am very aware of the numbers of illegal English teachers here. Given this crackdown, wouldn't it be a good idea to provide work permits to those of us on NON-IMM (ED or Retirement) visas, and perhaps also subsidise students who wish to learn. We could clear up the English language problems easily in a year and then Thailand would not be an embarrassment within the ASEAN/AEC. Or is that all too easy?

Yes, that is far too easy.

However, what is intended, what will occur, how it will be modified, and how it all will be resolved are yet to be seen.

Necessity is the mother of invention. The actions taken will be modified to accommodate the needs of the Thai's and to a lesser extent, the needs of the legitimate "visitors". Until the actual results of the actions implemented are determined, we are all blind and speculating.

• Like 1

It is time that Thai kicked out all the low end farangs skiving off the country. good riddance to them

Exactly how are the "skiving off the country?"  Are they getting welfare payments from the Thai government? Or are they paying their own way?

• Like 2

Scary stuff . Where are all the sex offenders going to go now? 

I lived in Tland for several yrs and found the place to be boring as dog shit.  Looking at red faced farangs sitting at bars daily, mostly broke or on the verge of it. Being scammed by the love of there life again...lol. In fact, I meet more than one 67yr old plus, farang  crying over his 18yr thai girlfriend because she left him. what a joke.  So, concidering all the bulshit you have to put up with living in thailand what are the positives? Golf, Fishing, but fished out. For me there are far better countries to live in than Thailand due to the fact my life is structured around adventure and not trying to fulfill my ego by having a trophy on my arm and all the rest. 

Why live in a country where most Thai's don't even like you?

Expect shit from this post, however while typing your response, be honest with yourself.

didn't like Pattaya then?

odd that for someone who values adventure so much you seem to have spent all your time in bars talking to pensioners cheesy.gif

• Like 1

The ones who end up suffering the most will be the young Thai students who end up being taught English by someone who barely speaks it.

From my experience a considerable number of people already here, purporting to be English teachers, can barely speak it! Nothing changes. I recall many years ago looking at my Thai wife's daughter's English exercise book and seeing that things written correctly were marked as incorrect. During an open day I located her English teacher and she turned out to be Swedish. I might add, unlike many other Swedish people I know, her spoken English was extremely poor.

Who wants to work for 35-45000 a month? With a degree? Not me that's for sure.

Qualifications mean absolutely " Nothing " - Teaching is all about " Personality & Public speaking  with the ability to entertain people " ( It is just something you are born with )

35,000 to 45,000 baht a month ? LOL

Thailand is a " third world country " If you are " not materialistic " and enjoy a " simple life " then you can live quite well on between 6,000 to 7,000 baht a month ( inc rent & food and trips out )

* I live in a lovely small clean furnished room with bathroom and comes with free fast WIFI & SAT TV and only a gentle stroll to the beach for a cool 2000 baht a month in rent ( i don't drink or smoke,i eat thai food and walk everywhere or catch the Train ) I don't want to work in Thailand as i would hate to be " stuck indoors " all day but i think that 10,000 Baht a month would be a more realistic wage to be earning here in Thailand.

farang jaidee wai2.gif  

I would love to work here legally teaching English, but I'm on a retirement visa, and I am very aware of the numbers of illegal English teachers here. Given this crackdown, wouldn't it be a good idea to provide work permits to those of us on NON-IMM (ED or Retirement) visas, and perhaps also subsidise students who wish to learn. We could clear up the English language problems easily in a year and then Thailand would not be an embarrassment within the ASEAN/AEC. Or is that all too easy?

A very good idea indeed ... they should make inroads for retirees such as yourself if 'even on a part time basis' to help the current state of affairs that could lead to imminent disaster albeit in good faith for self-betterment of the country.

clap2.gif

I lived in Tland for several yrs and found the place to be boring as dog shit.  Looking at red faced farangs sitting at bars daily, mostly broke or on the verge of it. Being scammed by the love of there life again...lol. In fact, I meet more than one 67yr old plus, farang  crying over his 18yr thai girlfriend because she left him. what a joke.  So, concidering all the bulshit you have to put up with living in thailand what are the positives? Golf, Fishing, but fished out. For me there are far better countries to live in than Thailand due to the fact my life is structured around adventure and not trying to fulfill my ego by having a trophy on my arm and all the rest. 

Expect shit from this post, however while typing your response, be honest with yourself.

Seems like you have no idea about Thailand. If you found the place so boring why did you stay for several years? I never had any bullshit to deal with in my last 20 years of living and working here. Always easy to get a work permit. No fish?? Again you have no idea about Thailand there are plenty of great fishing spots in Thailand and so many things to do. Sounds like you never left Pattaya if all you are meeting are old ex-pats crying about their lost love. My weekends are filled with things to do, camping, parks, old temples (love learning about old cultures) trips around Asia, beaches etc. There is so much to do in Thailand and the surrounding countries makes Thailand a great place to live. Anyway what does your post have to do with the current topic, seems like you are just a troll..

notice his name?

• Like 2

Jon says he has a degree and a teaching certificate if so why isn't he teaching at a International school making at least 100,000baht a month that also supplies him with a visa and work permit. Before some of you say it doesn't exist in Thailand there are plenty of international schools that pay over 100,000baht a month

Qualifications mean absolutely " Nothing " - Teaching is all about " Personality & Public speaking  with the ability to entertain people " ( It is just something you are born with )

Thailand is a " third world country " If you are " not materialistic " and enjoy a " simple life " then you can live quite well on between 6,000 to 7,000 baht a month ( inc rent & food and trips out )

* I live in a lovely small clean furnished room with bathroom and comes with free fast WIFI & SAT TV and only a gentle stroll to the beach for a cool 2000 baht a month in rent ( i don't drink or smoke,i eat thai food and walk everywhere or catch the Train ) I don't want to work in Thailand as i would hate to be " stuck indoors " all day but i think that 10,000 Baht a month would be a more realistic wage to be earning here in Thailand.

farang jaidee wai2.gif  

Thailands not a 3rd world country! Not even close.
Been to Cambodia, Laos or PNG? These are all significantly a step down from Thailand but even Cambodia or Laos you may have trouble defining as third world.

As for 10,000 THB a month - its possible this could cover daily routine expenses living simply but you wouldnt want any unexpected problems or health issues.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app
  • Like 1

It is time that Thai kicked out all the low end farangs skiving off the country. good riddance to them

Exactly how are the "skiving off the country?"  Are they getting welfare payments from the Thai government? Or are they paying their own way?

says more about the poster than anything about the topic

farang jaidee wai2.gif  

You have posted this in 10 different threads here at TV. The funny thing is that you change the sum every time. Sometimes it's 10k other times 15-20k. And this time 6-7k. Everyone here at TV know you can't live quite well on 6-7k baht a month including rent, food and trips out.........

• Like 1

farang jaidee wai2.gif  

You have posted this in 10 different threads here at TV. The funny thing is that you change the sum every time. Sometimes it's 10k other times 15-20k. And this time 6-7k. Everyone here at TV know you can't live quite well on 6-7k baht a month including rent, food and trips out.........

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

farang jaidee wai2.gif.pagespeed.ce.goigDuXn4X.gif alt=wai2.gif width=20 height=20>  

Dear " Viewer " ( bangkoklasse )

I am just checking to see who is " viewing " ( i am not to be taken too seriously .....)  i am only on here to " fuel the fire " ......

farang jaidee ( " joop joop " ) tongue.png

Seems like you have no idea about Thailand. If you found the place so boring why did you stay for several years? I never had any bullshit to deal with in my last 20 years of living and working here. Always easy to get a work permit. No fish?? Again you have no idea about Thailand there are plenty of great fishing spots in Thailand and so many things to do. Sounds like you never left Pattaya if all you are meeting are old ex-pats crying about their lost love. My weekends are filled with things to do, camping, parks, old temples (love learning about old cultures) trips around Asia, beaches etc. There is so much to do in Thailand and the surrounding countries makes Thailand a great place to live. Anyway what does your post have to do with the current topic, seems like you are just a troll..

Seems like you are all protecting your little harem!!!!!!!!!!!!!.  I stayed several yrs because of work.

As for fishing I have fished most oceans and sea's. I also won the Phuket International Fishing comp.  

Also referring to red faced wasted farangs, Thats how i saw many, not all, however being a non,-drinker they stick out like dog balls in Thailand. 

I respect any culture and living in Tland for sometime i saw it all. Gave my a whole respect for buddhism . 

My present country has more advantages for me than Thailand. I can freehold my property, 3 languages spoken, english the second, i walk from my front door onto my boat, or jet ski head to the outer reefs for a fish, dive or surf, main town is 30 minute drive, tropical location. Can sail or fly to most countries without to much expense or hassle. No visa runs, cost of living about 40% more than Tland, which isn't much if you are not hanging out a Farang red faced bar, and eat local food. 

You are right this does not have much to do with this thread topic apart from the fact that many farangs are in thailand committing deviate and hideous crimes. But not all farangs. Just a high % of them . I can comment on this , as I busted several of them who are now serving custodial sentences with the minimum sentence 8.6 yrs. But thats another story.

@AYJAYDEE. คุณมีความคิดสิ่งที่งี่เง่าที่คุณทำให้ตัวเองดูไม่เหมือนใคร กรับ

I don't know if it is just me, but do other people on here not think that the whole problem involving teachers in Thailand is being addressed wrongly?

Throughout the thread, and the whole immigration tightening up of the rules, it has been the teachers who have taken the full force of the wrong doing, ie, being employed without either the necessary qualifications or working without a work permit. Whereas we all know (or at least should know) that this is wrong, how come that they have a job in the first place?

In other words who are employing these people and more to the point how much onus should be put on the schools, whether government, private or language?

IMHO, the focus is in the wrong direction. If the powers that be want to get this done properly, it should be the establishments that employ these teachers that need to be investigated as they are ultimately responsible for their employees. The excuse that the work permit process is too expensive and time consuming is pitifully weak to say the least. If work permits are achievable in all other industries in Thailand relatively painlessly, how come it is so difficult in the education field?

I understand that there are recruiting companies out there which will provide 'enrolled' teachers to teaching positions when asked. Should these companies not have a vetting system to ensure they are providing the genuine article, should they not assume some of the responsibility in the supply & demand?

I fully understand that the clampdown is an immigration thing and not labor or education. But, in the long run, unless the problem is addressed at source, they are not getting rid of the problem by banning a small number of teachers who perhaps innocently have got caught up in this, along with the ones who are knowingly abusing the system.

I am not a teacher nor do I have any interaction with the education system, so perhaps my views are wrong, or I am looking at it too logically.

Edited by chrisinth

Seems like you are all protecting your little harem!!!!!!!!!!!!!.  I stayed several yrs because of work.

As for fishing I have fished most oceans and sea's. I also won the Phuket International Fishing comp.  

Also referring to red faced wasted farangs, Thats how i saw many, not all, however being a non,-drinker they stick out like dog balls in Thailand. 

I respect any culture and living in Tland for sometime i saw it all. Gave my a whole respect for buddhism . 

My present country has more advantages for me than Thailand. I can freehold my property, 3 languages spoken, english the second, i walk from my front door onto my boat, or jet ski head to the outer reefs for a fish, dive or surf, main town is 30 minute drive, tropical location. Can sail or fly to most countries without to much expense or hassle. No visa runs, cost of living about 40% more than Tland, which isn't much if you are not hanging out a Farang red faced bar, and eat local food. 

You are right this does not have much to do with this thread topic apart from the fact that many farangs are in thailand committing deviate and hideous crimes. But not all farangs. Just a high % of them . I can comment on this , as I busted several of them who are now serving custodial sentences with the minimum sentence 8.6 yrs. But thats another story.

@AYJAYDEE. คุณมีความคิดสิ่งที่งี่เง่าที่คุณทำให้ตัวเองดูไม่เหมือนใคร กรับ

a high % doing deviate and hideous crimes??!! now we're sure where you spent your time. lol!!  why don't your generalizations surprise me?? lol

• Like 1

I feel very sorry for unmarried guys under 50 who have purchased condos here. 

Until last year you could always get a O visa by showing your chanote to a consulate (though they never advertised it) starting last year they say they can't do that anymore.

It's a disgrace that the law allows a person to purchase property in a country but then potentially won't allow him to stay there.

I've said it before many times. Never buy any property here unless you can afford to walk away and lose it.

Can rent a very long time for the cost of a condo or house and move if the neighbours get too noisy.
walk away from it?

sell it and be thankful for the value appreciation and rent free living

Not to take the thread in another tangent...but the market for previously owned condos is very weak.  I have two friends who have had their condos for sale in different areas in Bangkok but both near the BTS.  They aren't asking for more than the purchase price but have not been able to sell for 1 year

your life is structured around adventure and you chose to live  where red faced farangs sat in bars??? and then have the nerve to complain you were bored?? lol

There is certainly more to Thailand than the red light districts; however, since I live in Bangkok it isn't possible to spend time in many areas of Sukumvit or Silom without having the sex trade thrust at you with touts and street walkers and go-go bars so prevalent.  

your life is structured around adventure and you chose to live  where red faced farangs sat in bars??? and then have the nerve to complain you were bored?? lol

There is certainly more to Thailand than the red light districts; however, since I live in Bangkok it isn't possible to spend time in many areas of Sukumvit or Silom without having the sex trade thrust at you with touts and street walkers and go-go bars so prevalent.  

so why do u go there?

so why do u go there?

I go to Nana because my office is there at One Pacific Place - but if I work late and leave my office after 7 or 8 pm - the streets are packed with drug dealers, ladyboy street walkers.  I go to Asok area because there are shops and restaurants and it is a central location to meet friends - but even there street bars abound and Soi Cowboy exists.  I go to Silom/Sala Daeng because many of my visiting friends stay in that area at local hotels - but the area is teaming wtih touts for massage and boom boom -  

I don't live in that area - and I do not seek it out - and I'm not a Thailan basher - it's just that so much of daily (and especially night) life in Thailand is interrupted by the large sex trade - even for those who don't seek it out.  

Edited by KED

Personally I don't see any good about these local language schools. It is not that the English proficiency of the locals have improved significantly with their presence. They are just hot nests for illegal employment.

Lets so you are correct. Why do you or anyone else care if someone is working illegally or has the wrong visa?

Do you miserable farts have nothing better to do than worry about other people and why/how they stay here?

It doesn't bother me who is here or what visa they have, so long as they are not actually hurting anyone. It's none of my business. Most people come to places like Thailand to have a better life, or improve the quality of their life. If fudging a few documents is what they have to do to reach their goal, kudos to them. Don't see why so many of you have contempt for others who are trying to live their life and harming no one in the process.

• Like 1

In my 87 years of living here, I have never seen the sex trade and believe it is people like you who perpetuate the lies of its existence to only give a black eye to the great and generous Kingdom.

coffee1.gif