Telescopes

chuang

Hi Chuang.  Since I've been in Chiang Mai I have never seen any quality 'scopes anywhere. Plenty of the lower quality refractor (department store) types but that's about it. A few years ago there was a shop in Airport Plaza that had a nice Meade compound stuffed away up on a shelf but that's been long gone. Think it was a decoration. There is an astronomy organization in Chiang Mai http://www.narit.or.th/en/ that might be worth contacting. They may be able to help. When I retired and settled here I shipped my stuff over thinking it would probably be less expensive.

Sorry, I can't answer the scope carry-on question as I haven't been keeping up with the air travel regs. 

Cheers

I don't think astronomy is popular here mainly due to the poor atmospheric conditions, humidity and pollution. I have no answer about Customs. Just carry your 'scope through and hope you don't get involved in a long discussion. First thing that springs to mind is convincing them firearms are not involved. Farang want to look at sky? Look at sky at night? What drugs you use?

You didn't specify what sort of telescope you were looking for, but if for terrestrial use, such as a high-power 'spotting scope,' the Archery Shop/range next to the golf course at Chiang Mai Star Dome sells 'Bausch & Lomb' and 'Bushnell' brands, both well known for quality products. These usually range from 40-60 power.

You didn't specify what sort of telescope you were looking for, but if for terrestrial use, such as a high-power 'spotting scope,' the Archery Shop/range next to the golf course at Chiang Mai Star Dome sells 'Bausch & Lomb' and 'Bushnell' brands, both well known for quality products. These usually range from 40-60 power.

Thanks FG, never realized that they were there, right down the road too. I Googled around and found Outdoor Vision Chiang Mai branch and will now have to go check 'em out to see what they have.

http://www.outdoorvision.net/main/tidtx_rea/Entries/2010/3/17_sakha_snam_thnu_cheiynghm.html

• Like 1