teaching English

Sounds like no degree, just a TEFL cert (I'm guessing 120hrs online) and no real experience.

What were the top 'resorts?' Not schools right? Who did you teach, for how long?

Sounds like I'm having a go but I'm not, it just seems you're considering yourself to be qualified to teach when it seems you're anything but. You need a degree, why not study for one here in Thailand?

Already cleary stated degree is not always required even though OP does. I know some very good teachers that are passionate about their role and have contracts renewed yearly as they wish to be retained yet are not degree educated. Flip side is very young graduates bumming around fresh out of university. Sure I know which I would prefer to teach my kids

Sounds like no degree, just a TEFL cert (I'm guessing 120hrs online) and no real experience.

What were the top 'resorts?' Not schools right? Who did you teach, for how long?

Sounds like I'm having a go but I'm not, it just seems you're considering yourself to be qualified to teach when it seems you're anything but. You need a degree, why not study for one here in Thailand?

Already cleary stated degree is not always required even though OP does. I know some very good teachers that are passionate about their role and have contracts renewed yearly as they wish to be retained yet are not degree educated. Flip side is very young graduates bumming around fresh out of university. Sure I know which I would prefer to teach my kids

The OP says he has a degree so it should be easy. Yes, if no degree he would need a bit more tips.

The problem is his attitude demanding this info like a drill sargent and insulting people trying to help him.

Please all be reminded that any comments about spelxxx errxxx are prohibited, even if it would hypothetically be approximately 13 of them in a short text from an alleged experienced and qualified English teacher coffee1.gif

Ohhh sarcasm .. I like it!

This is a forum. Not a spelling test.

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I disagree.

I know many " Thai English Teachers" with degrees in teaching and in English who can speak very little if any English.

Maybe they can read and write in English..I don't know.

Those who do speak a little English have very poor pronunciation and sentence structure.

They structure their sentences as they would be structured if speaking Thai. ie. "Where you go?"  not" Where are you going?"

They omit any English words that don't have an equivalent in the Thai language. ie. " I go store."  not " I am going to the store."

And, as they do when speaking Thai, they often do not speak the entire word, usually leaving of the possessive " 's " or the past tense  "ed". at the end of the word.

ie. " I paint my mother house last week" not " I painted my mother's house last week."

Do I need to even mention the habit of pronouncing "Rs" as "Ls", "Ls" as "Rs" and  "th" as a "D" ???/ 

These are just a few of the errors made and taught to students by "Thai English Teaches" with degrees in Teaching and in English!

By teaching students to speak English incorrectly, they perpetuate the problem by assuring that any students who become English teachers in the future and will continue to teach the same incorrect English.

A degree in Thailand is not required to a good English teacher.

Those with degrees do more harm than good!

Many times the better teachers have no degree!

On the other hand, I know of many "Native Speaking" English teachers without degrees in teaching or English that work hard and are sucessful in correcting the errors taught by those with the degrees. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I disagree.

I know many " Thai English Teachers" with degrees in teaching and in English who can speak very little if any English.

Those who do speak a little English have very poor pronunciation and sentence structure.

They structure their sentences as they would be structured if speaking Thai. ie. "Where you go?"  not" Where are you going?"

They omit any English words that don't have an equivalent in the Thai language. ie. " I go store."  not " I am going to the store."

And, as they do when speaking Thai, they often do not speak the entire word, usually leaving of the possessive " 's " or the past tense  "ed". at the end of the word.

ie. " I paint my mother house last week" not " I painted my mother's house last week."

Do I need to even mention the habit of pronouncing "Rs" as "Ls", "Ls" as "Rs" and  "th" as a "D" ???/ 

These are just a few of the errors made and taught to students by "Thai English Teaches" with degrees in Teaching and in English!

By teaching students to speak English incorrectly, they perpetuate the problem by assuring that any students who become English teachers in the future and will continue to teach the same incorrect English.

On the other hand, I know of many "Native Speaking" English teachers without degrees in teaching or English that work hard and are sucessful in correcting the errors taught by those with the degrees. 
Saying those with degrees do more harm than good is a bit much.

I agree that a degree doesn't make a good teacher, but it doesn't make a bad one either. I'm sure there are plenty of good teachers with degrees. It simply makes it easier to find work good or bad, and unfortunately on the strength of a degree a lot of rubbish teachers get through.

You're not gonna find many bad teachers without degrees in comparison to those with because they have to be a decent teacher to have gotten the gig without a degree in the first place.

Exceptions to every rule but you can see the comparisons are a bit unfair.

Personally I think the degree rule is stupid and it has no say on a teachers ability, I'm sure many agree, but if so you can't reverse it and lump degree holders into a shit teacher category.
  • Like 2

I disagree.

I agree that a degree doesn't make a good teacher, but it doesn't make a bad one either. I'm sure there are plenty of good teachers with degrees. It simply makes it easier to find work good or bad, and unfortunately on the strength of a degree a lot of rubbish teachers get through.

You're not gonna find many bad teachers without degrees in comparison to those with because they have to be a decent teacher to have gotten the gig without a degree in the first place.

Personally I think the degree rule is stupid and it has no say on a teachers ability, I'm sure many agree, but if so you can't reverse it and lump degree holders into a shit teacher category.

Good input!

I will admit that I did cast a pretty wide net there with my statement about Thai teachers with a degree in English not knowing how to speak the English language properly. 

I have known some Thai teachers who teach English who speak and teach excellent English but unfortunately they are a very small minority.

I do feel we agree, but you helped focus my response a little more....Thanks

• Like 2

?????

do you speak Thai?

they have the present continuous

He's talking about Thai's speaking English, and he's absolutely right. Thai's who have a basic level of English simplify Engish to 'where you go' opposed to 'where are you going'

Have you lived in Thailand?

OP, you come off like a real hot head.

You come on here demanding info and also demand it must be spoon fed to you a certain way.

With your patience and temper, Thai kids will eat you for breakfast. Skip the idea of teaching. You will not last.

stop being a total ..... for your info and the rest of the idiots responding with such childish replies, i was originally told by the immigration office in Chiang Mai that i needed a work permit first, i thought that was incorrect so i posted the question here with the hope idiots like yourself would not waste my time or others.

• Like 1

I disagree.

Good input!

I will admit that I did cast a pretty wide net there with my statement about Thai teachers with a degree in English not knowing how to speak the English language properly. 

I have known some Thai teachers who teach English who speak and teach excellent English but unfortunately they are a very small minority.

I do feel we agree, but you helped focus my response a little more....Thanks

i met a Spanish lady in Laos who taught English, she had a degree but no TEFL or similar certificate, her English was very good, but she had some Spanish/English translation problems, ie not using English grammar.