Any good Rock concerts in Bangkok in the near future?

flyingsaucersarereal

I embrace the culture everyday it would be nice to see a concert every once in awhile. Lots of American and British bands come to Japan so why not Thailand?

Thais are not really interested in paying half a months wages to see some washed up millionaires reliving their youth.

That's a strange take on Thailand.... so why does Bird have a sellout series of concerts every 3 months with a video made of every concert.?

Thais happily pay to see the same 10 songs performed by every Thai performer so they can sing along. I think there are probably only 20 songs available because the rest of the concert is taken up by inane chatter and "jokes".

Of course this is in between screaming at the current Korean boy band with a silly name and hugely innovative dance moves....

So why do Thais need to bother with western bands?

Bird rarely has big concerts. Thais are quite happy with their own muscians who they can either see for free, or for a fraction of the price of the falang on tour. Shows with the chatter and comics can easily be avoided.

Edited by jacky54

Anyone that thinks american/Canadian and Brit bands are not popular with the young crowd has never talked to Thai Teens.

They are very popular. The problem is not the bands t is the cost of having them play and the location.

They need a venue IN Bkk for these bands to play in not at Impact which is a pain for kids to get to and from.

Quite a lot of British and American bands do play here- they just tend to be the more alternative types- The Cribs played last year, Cloud Nothings played last month, Chk Chk Chk are playing on Aug 26th at Play Yard in Lad Prao- check out Popscene, they arrange regular gigs.

Saw Slash, Green Day and Linkin Park here.

For some hanging out check out The Rock Pub.

https://www.facebook.com/therockpub

I agree that The Rock Pub is a great place to hear local bands covering Rock. Easy to get to. My favorite bands there are Mundee at midnight Saturdays and Munson at 22:30 on Thursdays. (However their website is not up to date on all band schedules.) Often they have a Friday night special with several bands.

• Like 1

One Direction are booked to play next March at Rajamangala stadium, but I think the event is sold out already. I've heard that one reason that a lot of bands don't want to play here is that the main music venue has terrible acoustics and no one wants to play it.

Beat me to it lol. Not sure if its sold out yet, sar another full page advert in the Post recently.

People may knock them, but they are on course to become one of the biggest grossing bands out of the UK if not the world for decades, and yes they do write some of their own songs and play instruments

Only band to have 3 albums straight to number one on the bill board 100., not even the Beatles did this

Even if you think they are crap, just look at this, a cool billion dollars gross revenue by the end of 2014

http://www.businessinsider.com/one-direction-worth-1-billion-2013-8

Pablum for 12 year olds. McDonalds outsells any Michelin 5 star restaurant.

• Like 2

Quite a lot of British and American bands do play here- they just tend to be the more alternative types- The Cribs played last year, Cloud Nothings played last month, Chk Chk Chk are playing on Aug 26th at Play Yard in Lad Prao- check out Popscene, they arrange regular gigs.

Yes, pop scene does provide some decent shows; I wonder what will be now though, as Cosmic Cafe has closed.

Check out Fatty's Bar and Diner for good regular indie shows

I think BKK is almost ready for a monster metal festival like Donington EXT. Would be too cool to have a major show here in Thailand. With the right people on board and a <deleted> of a game plan she could fly....Anually even..Correct me f im wrong.

Peace

I think BKK is almost ready for a monster metal festival like Donington EXT. Would be too cool to have a major show here in Thailand. With the right people on board and a <deleted> of a game plan she could fly....Anually even..Correct me f im wrong.

Peace

something like this hopefully:

Yes is touring this year and I want to see them in Tokyo. Hard to find any Japanese girl willing to endure 2-3 hours of prog rock with me. The current incantation of King Crimson is practicing now for a tour but doubt they will make it to Asia.

Who mentioned K pop?, just come back from a concert by the Korean boy band Boyfriend, absolute hysteria. Usually at 7-4 concert you get about 500 people turning up, today it was more like 5,000 and many in line from yesterday sleeping out. They only did 4 songs, I could not be bothered and went shopping, Bitioy was on as well. Can anyone explain the attraction for K pop? the The women were wetting their pants over them. The band are on record as saying they hope to be recognised for their talent as well as their looks, not much chance of that from what I did hear, bloody awful!

Edited by jacky54

Yes is touring this year and I want to see them in Tokyo. Hard to find any Japanese girl willing to endure 2-3 hours of prog rock with me. The current incantation of King Crimson is practicing now for a tour but doubt they will make it to Asia.

Baby metal have two concerts in Japan in Aug and two in Sept, however the tickets are all gone as far as I know and if you can get one they are about 11k baht. Agents seem to snap them up and resell at silly prices, somebody paid $800 to see them in LA, bit beyond my means. They are in Montreal today then back home. Then they are back to School, incredibly talented girls, as are the team behind them:

A marriage of horrible heavy metal and sugary J pop, it should be horrible, but it's amazing instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSCRT7sDyWA

Edited by jacky54

• 1 month later...

I think Two Door Cinema Club were due to play earlier in the year and cancelled.

Godung.com they promote alternative rock western music in Thailand. Follow them on facebook and they have updates on when bands play

I think they had some involvement in bringing The Vaccines over last year. From memory they also acted as guides and showed them around the city and posted numerous photos on line.

This year they had their own " Minifest" (their own words) and had Mystery Jets and Architecture in Helsinki

Hope this helps or maybe of interest

Edited by isnakebite