Drive and/or import Laos car in Thai

harry

I regularly, monthly, travel between Thai an VN by air.

For some reasons I want to have car available in VN and or and a Laos car seems to be ideal: cheap and 28 days allowed in VN.

My questions:

1. Can you:
a Import a car Japanese, Laos, etc., so from inside Asean, in Thai with steering on the left side of the car?
b Drive in a car in Thai with steering on the left side of the car?
c What are the costs of 1.a?
 2. Can you drive with an in Laos registered car in Thailand and how long?
 3. Can a Thai car with steering wheel on the left side drive into Vietnam and for how long? 
 4. Can I get a Laos car registered in Laos on my name or on a Thai's name?

Note: As said before: I know that a Laos registered car can enter VN for a maximum period of 28 days. 
If Asean is in effect for this, then it also should be permitted for a Thai car, or not?

I hope there is some expert who can answer this question.

Thanks!
Edited by harry

you can certainly drive a Thai car in Laos, but I don't know for how long. I see many Laos cars coming into Thailand too, but for how long, I couldn't say.

You see many LHD cars in Thailand but I'm not sure what the law says about this.

Vietnam at present doesn't allow RHD cars in.....but I guess if it is LHD you'd be OK.

Sorry not much help, but I'll be watching the replies as I'd like to hear on this subject.

Especially importing a car from Laos into Thailand.

You can bring a Lao registered car into Thailand but i think it must return to Lao within 30 days. If you want to import a Lao car into Thailand you must pay the applicable duty the same as if it came from the USA. A Thai gentleman recently bought in a 2008 Mustang that he had since new in Lao as he was working there. The duty was 1.4 Million Baht as worked out by Customs in Mukdahan.

You can bring a Lao registered car into Thailand but i think it must return to Lao within 30 days. If you want to import a Lao car into Thailand you must pay the applicable duty the same as if it came from the USA. A Thai gentleman recently bought in a 2008 Mustang that he had since new in Lao as he was working there. The duty was 1.4 Million Baht as worked out by Customs in Mukdahan.

Do you think this might change with the further implementation of ASEAN regulations?

b Drive in a car in Thai with steering on the left side of the car?

2. Can you drive with an in Laos registered car in Thailand and how long?

This bit yes. I have a friend from Laos who frequently drives to Bangkok. Expert? AVR car rentals Vientiane?

Edited by VocalNeal