Is there place in Phuket to have documents notarized?

tvqanda

Hi! I'm a US national and have some legal docs that need notarizing in the near future. Does anyone know if it's possible to get this done in Phuket (I live in Patong)?

I understand that I can have this done at the US embassy in Bangkok, However  I'm hoping to find a notary locally, so I can avoid the trip up to Krungthep...

My gratitude in advance for any information offered...smile.png

This topic  should have stayed in general as the answer is the same all over Thailand- Not just any lawyer can act as a notary,  but will  to have a certificate, and they need to be a lawyer to get the certificate, hence very expensive - 500 and  up to 1500 baht for foreigners per page I have been quoted.

However, for Thai related docs, such as leases, etc you can go to to the  District Govt and for about 200 baht get  it done there.

You'll  need to bring  a Thai speaker..

Any lawyers office should be able to do it.

It's not that easy.

A lot of US companies/entities require documents to specifically be notarized and notaries aren't common or easy to find outside the US.

I've found recently that certification by the British Embassy does not meet the US notarization legally required.

I'm still looking for a notary in Bangkok.

As one poster stated. If the documents are for use in the US a Thai lawyer notary is not valid. The embassy is your only option if you want to be legal.

BUT, some places would accept a Thai Lawyer notarization because they really just want a fancy stamp on the docs. I had a US bank accept docs for two mortgage loans that were notarized by a Thai lawyer. I found out later that the notary signatures were worthless but the bank didn't bother checking. It never became an issue.

The Embassy also makes occasional visits to Phuket and you can get docs notarized then if you can wait for the next visit to save a trip to BKK:

Just deleted the info that the Consular Outreach visit for Phuket was July 23rd. The next one listed on the website isn't until Oct.

Edited by Smokin Joe