Thai Police to crack down on drivers using smartphone functions today

webfact

I don't see how this new law could be enforced. You can't see through these black tinted windows

The black tinted windows make crossing the road riding a motorcycle, bicycle etc a far more risky proposition than it should be. You have no direct clue as to whether a driver has even seen you.
I used to be a motorcycle dispatch rider in London. The only way to survive there was to drive defensively. Generally I would never assume I had been seen unless I had eye contact with the driver. With blacked out windows that vital link is simply not available to you. This makes crossing walking cycling motor cycling or driving a car far more dangerous. i have been told that at night it is extremely difficult for the driver to see out of the tinted windows thus the risk of an accident is probably a least doubled..

As for motorcyclist using the phone whilst driving it is endemic. But lets face reality. In places where efforts are made to make people wear crash helmets people still don't do it despite the stops and fines. In the UK you would end up losing your license if you kept repeating the offense..

But you see, most dont have licences to lose in the first place! And they still drive/ride!

Exactly!

Why bother with all these fines when people don't even have to have a license? If you're caught, it's just another small fine!

Oh well. This place is third world for a reason. Silly to expect any rule of law in a country full of uneducated peasants.
Was harsh but sadly true.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

According to the Phuket News, a very short conversation to tell 'em to call back later is ok!!!

-Sent from my laptop that's playing movies on the passenger seat, whilst hurtling along the bypass road at 150kph typed in to my steering wheel mounted phone. its only a short message so it's ok. Besides, the children are stood up on the back seat keeping a good look out anyway. I'll reply more later once I've finished this call.

/sarcasm - just in case some numpty thinks this is for real.

“If we find anyone breaking the Land Traffic Act, we will act. Drivers are not allowed to use a mobile phone while driving, except in the case of a very short conversation [for example, to tell the caller they will call back]. Offenders will be fined from B400 to B1,000.” - See more at: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-crackdown-on-using-mobile-phones-while-driving-47712.php#sthash.dolL6l81.dpuf
Edited by Pomthai

I don't see how this new law could be enforced. You can't see through these black tinted windows

The black tinted windows make crossing the road riding a motorcycle, bicycle etc a far more risky proposition than it should be. You have no direct clue as to whether a driver has even seen you.

I used to be a motorcycle dispatch rider in London. The only way to survive there was to drive defensively. Generally I would never assume I had been seen unless I had eye contact with the driver. With blacked out windows that vital link is simply not available to you. This makes crossing walking cycling motor cycling or driving a car far more dangerous. i have been told that at night it is extremely difficult for the driver to see out of the tinted windows thus the risk of an accident is probably a least doubled..

That's an interesting point. What makes matters worse is that, on many occasions, I have slowed down to allow a car to pass over the road in front, when it's obvious that the Thai's will not and also the traffic is being held up coming towards me on the other side.  As we all know, in Thailand if you flash your lights in these circumstances it means 'watch it, I'm coming through" whereas, in the UK flashing headlights in these circumstances is an invitation for the person to cross in front.  (Actually, I think the Thai's interpretation is correct in the Highway Code - which I haven't seen for donkeys years. It used to say simply 'I am here")

So, trying to be a courteous driver is difficult as they don't expect you to give way and you cannot get the eye contact as you say. Many times I have stopped,, also the other driver is stopped and I wind down my window and use my arm to indicate he/she can cross in front.

I only mention this as I'm sure it happens a lot to other western drivers. The easy way out is to just be an un-courteous driver but I refuse to let them drag me down to that level.   Sorry about the homily!

Oh yes...and why do Thai's always feel they need to reverse into parking bays?.  Often it is easier to drive straight in and reverse out, where there is much more room.  Big C Extra in Pattaya is a classic example. I'm sure we've all seen the classic manoeuvres of 10point turns to get a big  pick-up into a space designed for a mini.  Got that off my chest as well!

why don't they crack down on motorcyclists beating/crossing red lights, driving on sidewalks, driving against traffic, don't wear helmets, etc. with the exception of a handful, motorcyclists are the real road hazards in thailand!

This problem needs some BIG fines. What's 400-1000 Bht....nothing. Confiscate the phone first, then chuck the perp in jail for a few weeks. That'll sort it out.

In the UK it has been illegal to use a hand held phone for quite some time with the risk of getting 3 points on your license and a fine if caught. 12 points and you lose your license. It still does not stop people using them, van drivers are probably the worst offenders.