Can I get a Thai driving license when on visa-exempt entry ?

I will come to Thailand soon and entr on visa-exempt prior to trying to get a retirement visa.  My friend will come with me and enter the same way prior to trying to get an ED Visa. 

Is it possible to get at Thai driving license when having this status?  How much is involved. Note that we both have expired licenses from other countries.  Plenty of experience driving but as those licenses are expired if we can get a Thail license then what would be involved. 

Thanks

No problem because if you are applying for the first time you will only get a one year visa whatever visa you have. Same for Thais for 1st DL.

However make sure you have a 1 year non-imm visa before renewing it and then you will get a 5 year DL if not you will get another 1 year.

I will come to Thailand soon and entr on visa-exempt prior to trying to get a retirement visa.  My friend will come with me and enter the same way prior to trying to get an ED Visa. 

Is it possible to get at Thai driving license when having this status?  How much is involved. Note that we both have expired licenses from other countries.  Plenty of experience driving but as those licenses are expired if we can get a Thail license then what would be involved. 

Thanks

i just got a Thai driving licence. Bike and car. On a tourist visa. Without tells any lies. Edited by PoorSucker
Fixed quote

No problem because if you are applying for the first time you will only get a one year visa whatever visa you have. Same for Thais for 1st DL.

However make sure you have a 1 year non-imm visa before renewing it and then you will get a 5 year DL if not you will get another 1 year.

Not according to this....

For those without an International Driving License, a local Thai license can be obtained against the Driving License of their respective country at the Land Transportation Department.

The following are required to make the application :

1. Passport with valid Non-immigrant Visa. (Individuals with a Tourist Visa don’t qualify)
2. Present residence address certified by embassy or Immigration Bureau or work permit.
3. Medical certificate stating good health
Fee : 105 baht for cars and 55 baht for motorcycle. Applications for driving licenses for other forms of vehicle may not be granted.

• Like 1

Not according to this....

For those without an International Driving License, a local Thai license can be obtained against the Driving License of their respective country at the Land Transportation Department.

The following are required to make the application :

1. Passport with valid Non-immigrant Visa. (Individuals with a Tourist Visa don’t qualify)
2. Present residence address certified by embassy or Immigration Bureau or work permit.
3. Medical certificate stating good health
Fee : 105 baht for cars and 55 baht for motorcycle. Applications for driving licenses for other forms of vehicle may not be granted.

The rule of the certified present residence address has been changed in Songkhla, may be in other provinces too. Today you just present the "yellow tabien baan". This paper can be obtained by your landlord at the government of the Tambon you are living.

Edited by fxe1200

why not just get an international DL in your home country before you come here, can you not just turn it in and get a thai DL without test?

....you still need the medical check, reaction test, and the paperwork. But it works that way, there is no further test.

why not just get an international DL in your home country before you come here, can you not just turn it in and get a thai DL without test?

Not always as easy as that for us nomads, I've not been back to the UK for a few years and that's the only place they will issue me with an International Driving Licence (I've asked in PNG, Malawi and Zimbabwe).

In answer to the OP, I think it probably depends on where you apply. I can say that here in Pattaya I got a 1 year driving licence whilst I was on a Visa Exemption. I got a letter from the Guest House I was staying in to say that was my residence. I didn't have any issues whatsoever at the licence office, I didn't even have to sit the theory test...........I guess I got them on a good day biggrin.png

The rule of the certified present residence address has been changed in Songkhla, may be in other provinces too. Today you just present the "yellow tabien baan". This paper can be obtained by your landlord at the government of the Tambon you are living.

Nothing have changed.
You have always been able to prove your residency in three ways at DLT.
1. Residence certificate from immigrations or your embassy.
2. Yellow Thabien Bahn.
3. Your work permit.

it is really funny what the people writting here

NO Problem?  

for sure he can not get a thai driver licence without a NON O Visa or ED Visa, 

then he not have any International DL so he has to make full test 

they check the VISA and the recidence certificate also certificate from doctor, 

recidence certificate will only be issued from Immigration with a NON O Visa

This is what you need to know, from The Department of transport: http://www.dlt.go.th/th/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3470:in-case-of-foreigner&catid=131:2011-09-08-02-09-23&Itemid=88

I took my husband to do it in Bangkok by Chutuchak. We just walk about 50 meters from the gate to get medical report with B200 (if I was right)

If you had a 5years driving license from your country, there will be a simply test such as color blind, reaction and such. There were many people there but we spent only 1:30hrs there.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Nothing have changed.
2. Yellow Thabien Bahn.
3. Your work permit.

The residence used to be issued by the Amphoe in Hat Yai, they do not do it any more and refer to the "yellow tabien baan". That has changed in Songkhla. The embassy  is almost 1000Km away, an expensive solution, to obtain a certificate of residence.  A work permit is not necessary to obtain a drivers license in Songkhla, it is not logical anyhow. That is the way it works in Songkhla. And I refer to Songkhla only.

Nothing have changed.
2. Yellow Thabien Bahn.
3. Your work permit.

The residence used to be issued by the Amphoe in Hat Yai, they do not do it any more and refer to the "yellow tabien baan". That has changed in Songkhla. The embassy  is almost 1000Km away, an expensive solution, to obtain a certificate of residence.  A work permit is not necessary to obtain a drivers license in Songkhla, it is not logical anyhow. That is the way it works in Songkhla. And I refer to Songkhla only.

Residence certificate has never been issued at the Amphur, only Immigrations, at least outside Hat Yai, wink.png

A work permit is never necessary but if you have one you can use it, only stated the three options.

PoorSucker, on 05 Aug 2014 - 23:22, said:

fxe1200, on 05 Aug 2014 - 20:39, said:

PoorSucker, on 05 Aug 2014 - 17:37, said:

fxe1200, on 05 Aug 2014 - 16:57, said:

Nothing have changed.
2. Yellow Thabien Bahn.
3. Your work permit.

Residence certificate has never been issued at the Amphur, only Immigrations, at least outside Hat Yai, wink.png

A work permit is never necessary but if you have one you can use it, only stated the three options.

Only Yellow Tabian Baan will be issued by an Amphur, which is proof of address.

Certificates of Residence are issued by Police at Immigration or your local Police Station.

As the OP has no current licence, he cannot get an IDP, so he will have to take the full Thai Driving test.

The OP will have to wait until he gets his extension before he can get a Thai Licence. (Theoretically)

OP what concerns me most is that your using a Visa exempt to enter Thailand.

You do know you have to have funds of 800,00bt in a Thai bank for 2 months before you can get an extension based on retirement.

A 90 day Non Imm O Visa would suit your needs better.

IanSalisbury, on 05 Aug 2014 - 16:06, said:

RichardThailand, on 05 Aug 2014 - 12:02, said:

Thanks

i just got a Thai driving licence. Bike and car. On a tourist visa. Without tells any lies.

Then you were very fortunate. The DL Centre made a mistake

TEMPORARY (ONE YEAR) DRIVING LICENSE

IN CASE OF FOREIGNER
TEMPORARY (ONE YEAR) DRIVING LICENSE

HAVE TO PREPARE THE DOCUMENTS AS FOLLOW

1. PASSPORT WITH VISA (ORIGINAL AND PHOTO COPY)

2. ORIGINAL PRESENT RESIDENT ADDRESS IN THAILAND CERTIFY FROM EMBASSY / IMMIGRATION BUREAU (VALID FOR 1 YEAR) OR WORK PERMIT WITH ORIGINAL AND PHOTO COPY

3. ORIGINAL MEDICAL CERTIFICATE (5 DISEASES FORM) FROM CLINIC OR HOSPITAL (VALID FOR 1 MONTH)

4. ORIGINAL AND PHOTO COPY OF INVALID INTERNATIONAL DRIVING LICENCE (1949 OR 1968 CONVENTION) OR LOCAL DRIVING LICENCE (TRANSLATE IN TO ENGLISH OR THAI LANGUAGE AND CERTIFY BY EMBASSY IF IT ISN'T IN ENGLISH LANGUAGE)

PROCEDURE

1) CHECK THE DOCUMENTS

2) PRINT THE APPLICATION FORM

3) - IF YOU ARE QUALIFIED IN NO.4 -> TAKE ONLY A PHYSICAL TEST

- IF YOU ARE DISQUALIFIED IN NO.4 - FULL STEP FOLLOWING

• TAKE A TRAINING 4 HOURS
  • TAKE A PHYSICAL TEST
  • TAKE A THEORY TEST
  • TAKE A PRACTICAL TEST

4) PAY THE FEE / TAKE A PHOTO AND PRINT DRIVING LICENCE
    (FEE 105 BAHT AND PLASTIC SMART CARD 100 BAHT)

Edited by NCC1701A

Actually failed to get one on last trip and had all of the above

Even though all your documents are checked the second you get to the first floor I did the physical tests waited waited and waited. Paid and waited and waited and waited.

Just as it was my turn to get the photo taken for my license my name was called.

turns out that since I had an old Thai DL included in my paperwork I was not valid for another one.

I should of argued it since they were saying that you cannot have 2 on production of a IDL and my first Set of Thai DL was via a test

(doesnt make sense anyhow since once you have a Thai DL you can extend it to 5 years without a test). 

At that point was very very close to losing my cool so just left didnt even bother getting a refund.

Well at least I know what not to included next time I apply.

Nothing have changed.
2. Yellow Thabien Bahn.
3. Your work permit.

I checked with Pattaya a couple of weeks ago before I went to see if I could use my yellow tabian baan. They said not any longer, changed about a month previous to residency certificate only.

Nothing have changed.
2. Yellow Thabien Bahn.
3. Your work permit.

I checked with Pattaya a couple of weeks ago before I went to see if I could use my yellow tabian baan. They said not any longer, changed about a month previous to residency certificate only.

Conclusion: Every other office has different demands, therefore we have to find out by ourselves. That keeps us busy, we won't get bored, and we always have to write something on ThaiVisa.

Nothing have changed.
2. Yellow Thabien Bahn.
3. Your work permit.

Well maybe in Pattaya because it thinks itself seperate from many things apart from the other way DLT's do throughout Thailand.

Even though all your documents are checked the second you get to the first floor I did the physical tests waited waited and waited. Paid and waited and waited and waited.

Just as it was my turn to get the photo taken for my license my name was called.

turns out that since I had an old Thai DL included in my paperwork I was not valid for another one.

I should of argued it since they were saying that you cannot have 2 on production of a IDL and my first Set of Thai DL was via a test

(doesnt make sense anyhow since once you have a Thai DL you can extend it to 5 years without a test). 

At that point was very very close to losing my cool so just left didnt even bother getting a refund.

Sounds like you were using paperwork for applying for a Thai driving licence instead of the paperwork for renewal. 

IDL mentioned on 'ear' sometime is confusing the correct term is IDP ( International Driving Permit ) which is an endorsment of an original full driving licence from another country if it does not have photo on with written English.

Sounds like you were using paperwork for applying for a Thai driving licence instead of the paperwork for renewal. 

IDL mentioned on 'ear' sometime is confusing the correct term is IDP ( International Driving Permit ) which is an endorsment of an original full driving licence from another country if it does not have photo on with written English.

yes it has photo

I was applying for a New Thai Driving license as my old one was way out of date hence a/ Could not get a renewal and b/ Was on a 30 day visa hence they wont give 5 years anyway at least according to my information.

Will give it another go next time without my old license as just confused the issue technically I am entitled to a DL as never had one with a IDP. Just would of blown up at them after all the waiting and also after the checked all my documents when I got there.

Thanks

As said non imm visa required for application for retirement extension.

If you come without, you will have to out of Thailand to Laos or somewhere to get a non imm visa.

Don't know about ED Visa's.

No driving licence from your own country you will have to take a Thai driving test at your nearest DLT  to your location of stay.

http://driving-in-thailand.com/land-transport-offices-in-thailand/ .

yes it has photo

I was applying for a New Thai Driving license as my old one was way out of date hence a/ Could not get a renewal and b/ Was on a 30 day visa hence they wont give 5 years anyway at least according to my information.

Will give it another go next time without my old license as just confused the issue technically I am entitled to a DL as never had one with a IDP. Just would of blown up at them after all the waiting and also after the checked all my documents when I got there.

Many threads on this Thai licence thingy.

You could still get another 1 year one using the old Thai licence, depends on how way out of date it is.

Some DLT's will issue licences on 30 day entries many will not. 

IDP has nothing to do with it, If you have a valid licence from the UK with a photo on it you will be issued with a 1 year Thai licence but there's still the question of whether the DLT you use will produce it on a 30 day entry.