Yingluck allowed to submit further evidence to fight charges: Rice pledging

webfact

RICE-PLEDGING SCHEME
Yingluck allowed to submit further evidence to fight charges

Natthapat Phromkaew
The Nation August

BANGKOK: -- Former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra can submit more evidence or propose more witnesses in the rice-pledging scheme case within 30 days, deputy spokesman of the Office of the Attorney-General said yesterday.

The National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) yesterday submitted five boxes, including 4,000 pages, of documents to the Office of the Attorney-General and asked it to file a complaint in court against Yingluck in the case of dereliction of duty, which resulted in the Bt500-billion loss by the rice-pledging scheme.

Santanee Ditsayabut said that due to the prominence of the case, a deputy attorney-general would be assigned to head an investigation team for the case. If the team sees the evidence is enough, the case will be forwarded to the Supreme Court's Criminal Division for Political Office Holders within 30 days. Otherwise, a joint-panel would have to be set up with the NACC to collaborate on the case.

The deputy spokesperson said that Yingluck can petition the investigation team at any time while the case is being considered by the attorney-general.

She can propose investigation of more witnesses including those rejected by the NACC.

The office would be fair to Yingluck. The fact that she is on a trip abroad was not an obstacle and would not hinder the case. However, application of the statute of limitations would be paused if the accused behaved in a way that suggested she seeks to escape, such as failing to report when summoned, she said.

Yingluck is now on a trip abroad but scheduled to return to Thailand on Sunday.

She also faces an impeachment case over huge losses caused by the controversial rice scheme. According to the previous Constitution, the Senate must decide on the impeachment.

Meanwhile, ML Panadda Diskul, permanent secretary of the Prime Minister's Office and in charge of a committee auditing the state's rice inventory, said yesterday that about 90 per cent of inspections of more than 1,700 warehouses holding rice from the pledging scheme around the country has been done.

"Some samples of rice were sent to laboratories for a further quality check and the results are expected to be known in the middle of September," he said.

In regard to concern the checks may not be thorough, ML Panadda insisted the audit was extensive and fair, as samples were collected from every warehouse. But he believed warehouses should improve their standards for storing rice.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Yingluck-allowed-to-submit-further-evidence-to-fig-30240336.html

[thenation]2014-08-06[/thenation]

Yingluck is now on a trip abroad but scheduled to return to Thailand on Sunday.

Now if my memory is correct one has to  actually appear in court in Thailand to dispute, challenge charges filed against one and indeed present ones defense case. 

One is led to wonder whether the defendant will actually be willing to go down that particular road or whether the more temperate climate  weather wise, judicially, socially and politically  may  be a more amenable  environment for the defendant and possible  defense witnesses? 

The reasons for non attendance at a  court hearing are indeed wide ranging of course.whistling.gif

illness noun affliction, ailing, ailmentcomplaintdisabilitydiseasedisorderinfirmitymaladysickness
Associated concepts: mental illness, terminal illness, Unemployment Compensation, Workers' Compensation Law

Edited by siampolee
  • Like 1

It is fair that she can submit further evidences as long as they are true. However, there is a hard evidence that many rice farmers were screwed by the Yingluck administration. I am curious to see how she defends the charges.      

One can only hope that the Darling of Isaan is not afflicted, while on her travels, by some illness which affects her memory of past-events, or of her return-flight details. rolleyes.gif

Although I'm not sure how clear her memory might be, of Rice Committee meetings, since she's alleged to not have attended any, despite chairing the committee ? But then actually saying that would mean she was giving evidence of her own negligence, how to get out of this one, if only she'd delegated to someone else at the time.  But perhaps she was poorly advised ? wink.png

Edited by Ricardo

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

It is fair that she can submit further evidences as long as they are true. However, there is a hard evidence that many rice farmers were screwed by the Yingluck administration. I am curious to see how she defends the charges.      

This case has nothing to do with the farmers being paid.   

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You sound like a guy who's just fallen off his bar stool in a drunken stupor and that's the first thing that came out of your mouth . . .

This case(s) is about malfeasance, corruption, negligence . . . farmers killing themselves because they didn't get paid would certainly have a LOT to do with how well the Thaksin rice scam was conceived and administered.

But up to you . . . keep those blinders on and keep living in your own little blinkered fantasy world if it helps you get through the day . . .

You live in a Yellow world.   Wake up and see there more colors than just yellow.  Good think people like you don't judge others in a court of law.

• Like 1

I am very surprised that only Yingluc is facing charges over this, would it not be more effective to have all those involved in court at the same time - pretty sure some of her proposed witnesses would be in the dock

• Like 2

Yingluck will definitely come back because her lawyers will have told her she will certainly get a prison sentence if she runs. That means a life as a fugitive with Thaksin and she is not strong enough for that.

The time for running will be if the prison term looks certain and the pressure from the mobs or pastry-boxes of money can't stop it. It will be a fast car to Cambodia and a flight to Dubai. Hun Sen will want 'friends' on both sides in Thailand because you never know what might happen in 5 years.

Will Dubai want the world to start think it is a dumping ground for political fugitives ? - that will be the interesting part.

As I understand it the extra witnesses she wanted to produce to the NACC were not witnesses in the true sense but character references who can hardly speak to whether she did wrong or not but only to ' she's too nice, responsible, wonderful etc. ' to have done so.

If questioned correctly these character witnesses could actually damage her as how do they answer " why do you say she's innocent ? "
Apart from the glowing tributes they may also point out she's not responsible because she didn't know what was going as she rarely attended any committee meetings, never asked for or received reports and didn't ask questions which proves her total ' hands off ' lack of responsibility and leadership.

She may have more witnesses now, and it is important she gets a fair trial. However, just conjecture only, it will be difficult to claim she didn't receive any reports given Supa's report.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand
  • Like 1

OK I really don't get it

Your the leader of the county Say like the United States. Then there is Obama. Who is the president ( so sorry) Now if you compare him to Yinluck . (they want to charge her with dereliction of duty) then why is Obama still president. It would seem to me there is massive dereliction of duty on his part  so why is he still president.

Because this is democracy. Good bad or indifferent once you elect an official you stuck with  them for the term of the office. Here in Thailand if  you don't like then charge then with dereliction which come to my point.

Who in their right mind that has a fabric of good in their body will want to be Prime minster of Thailand and have the threat of nebulous legal action hanging over their heads.

There lies the rub

No one with any talent will want to Its that simple so the Thais are designing a system that will only attract less that stellar people.

OK I really don't get it

Your the leader of the county Say like the United States. Then there is Obama. Who is the president ( so sorry) Now if you compare him to Yinluck . (they want to charge her with dereliction of duty) then why is Obama still president. It would seem to me there is massive dereliction of duty on his part so why is he still president.

Because this is democracy. Good bad or indifferent once you elect an official you stuck with them for the term of the office. Here in Thailand if you don't like then charge then with dereliction which come to my point.

Who in their right mind that has a fabric of good in their body will want to be Prime minster of Thailand and have the threat of nebulous legal action hanging over their heads.

There lies the rub

No one with any talent will want to Its that simple so the Thais are designing a system that will only attract less that stellar people.

I wouldn't want to be O'bama either, but in the US you can impeach a president. With YL, she dissolved her own parliament. The systems aren't the same.

Funny to read what Khun Panadda Diskul meekly said now and weeks before. No mention of massive frauds and corruption or even rice loss but just a polite mention that samples will be sent to the lab for quality check and result known mid-sept. Looks like the air has been leaked out of a much inflated oppositions claim.

Funny to read what Khun Panadda Diskul meekly said now and weeks before. No mention of massive frauds and corruption or even rice loss but just a polite mention that samples will be sent to the lab for quality check and result known mid-sept. Looks like the air has been leaked out of a much inflated oppositions claim.

Actually, I take it as the opposite. There are cases pending, not just involving YL. Perhaps it is the time to stop publicly talking about it.

Why not just give up and say "I did it!". Everybody knows she's guilty

Thaksin didn't say it.

His wife Potjaman didn't say it.

His brother-in-law Somchai didn't say it.

His sister Yaowapha didn't say it.

His niece Chinnicha didn't say it.

There's never been a Shinawatra Clan member that has ever said it in relation to any of the charges all of them have been guilty of.

With Yingluck being the weakest-willed of any of them, I don't expect any change.

• Like 1

Another twist of yours, the OAG is examining the case, and when it would at this stage talk about any of the evidence, it would legally blow up the whole case, as if you didn't know... But as you can't cry foul about any kind of (imagined) bias, what do you do? Yes, you use it to reaffirm there was as good as nothing wrong with the rice scam... Wouldn't it be time for you let some air leak out, Mr Loh, as you might be over-inflated, and could burst, as many advertising balloons do! And isn't propaganda some kind of, dishonest, advertising?

• Like 1

You sound like a guy who's just fallen off his bar stool in a drunken stupor and that's the first thing that came out of your mouth . . .

This case(s) is about malfeasance, corruption, negligence . . . farmers killing themselves because they didn't get paid would certainly have a LOT to do with how well the Thaksin rice scam was conceived and administered.

But up to you . . . keep those blinders on and keep living in your own little blinkered fantasy world if it helps you get through the day . . .

Mango Bob may have blinders on but you live in a fish bowl being led by your own tail.

The financial burden and related suicides of the rice farmers are not part of the negligence charges against Yingluck and rightly so. And should such a case be brought against Yingluck, charges should also be brought against Suthep, the PDRC, the Democrats, the EC, and the Junta for justice to be served.

Farmers were not paid timely in the latter half of 2013 and in 2014 during Yingluck’s interim government as of September 2013 simply because the government had no authority UNDER THE CONSTITUTION to borrow funds to pay-off the farmers quicker than what sales revenues were able to provide. The EC ruled on that matter and remained resolute not to allow borrowing despite the farmer’s financial suffering.

When Yingluck approached private banks for funding, Suthep and the PDRC invaded those branches with protesters and intimidated/threatened the banks into refusing to be involved. When the military overthrew the government, one of its first acts was to SUSPEND the Constitution, thus removing the legal barrier from the government to borrow funds to pay-off the farmers. Yingluck regime's compliance with the law is not an act of malfeasance nor negligence.

• Like 2