Only 9 Chinese cities reach air quality standards

webfact

"I don't agree that China's best and brightest have left. From what I've seen on my trips there, and meeting with a variety of business people, many Chinese are coming back from overseas and making big money. But yes, perhaps a lack of innovation."

Question is, what are they making the money doing? There's opportunities in terms of the vast population willing to work for slave wages, plus corruption/lack of controls and the like. I know a few are doing honest business and contributing something to humankind, but I think this is the minority and it is difficult for them due to the thieving culture in PRC (I read that 10 cent stole the WeChat technology from the actual innovator who saw nothing from it, as 10Cent had better "connections" or knew where to place the bribes in other words), Most of the actual innovators are outside of the country, and they've seen a further exodus since HK went back under mainland control. I maintain one of the great "successes" of the criminals running the country has been chasing their best and brightest away, certainly good for the west they are so fond of demonizing.

Visit some of the top universities and think tanks and you will see a new breed of Chinese emerging in the next 20 years

They are engaged and curious about the west and also keen to have a balanced lifestyle with their families and succeed in life.

Again I stress the point of looking at everything in relative scale of the population.

They are starting to make an impact in the CCP youth cadre but they figure only at about 5% vs the 95% entrenched in a system they may not feel comfortable giving up and need more time ...

If you remove the Chinese tea sets and the dim sum served at the meetings , you could almost swear this was somewhere in the west ...parliament houses where the older senators or lord would cuff the young lambings for trying to rock the system and dictating to them on the entrenched traditions and rule books

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Presumably 'the new breed of Chinese' will be the ones who will seek and achieve a democratically elected government?

Or is that never going to happen?

In the meantime, a major source of air pollution in Beijing and the NE is the coal powered power stations supplying the voracious demand for electricity. Moving to cleaner hydroelectric power is already causing problems with rivers inside China and threatening the Mekong, and the livelihoods of people dependent on the river in neighbouring countries including Laos and Cambodia.

But who cares? What China wants and needs it gets. Whether it's ASEAN countries, or Africa.

China needs to keep it's pollution problems inside the borders of the Middle Kingdom.

Chinese has no rights for an equal and right speech as long as the bashing is one way . That's the truth even in a forum.

Great. Free speech by western standards at its best

Free speech does not exist in the PRC, as you well know.

In fact there's nothing free in the PRC. There is always a cost attached.

Toxic. Environmentally, Socially, and the bottom line Politically.

On a side note , the recent CCP internal article is proposing harsher penalties including family prosecution however I only fear this will not go down well with the international community who will probably label as a trample of human rights.

Xi Jinping is under pressure to be seen to be doing something about pollution and corruption.

The efforts are token and politically motivated.

He is a two faced schister.

Ask Obama or Mrs Obama.

"I don't agree that China's best and brightest have left. From what I've seen on my trips there, and meeting with a variety of business people, many Chinese are coming back from overseas and making big money. But yes, perhaps a lack of innovation."

Question is, what are they making the money doing? There's opportunities in terms of the vast population willing to work for slave wages, plus corruption/lack of controls and the like. I know a few are doing honest business and contributing something to humankind, but I think this is the minority and it is difficult for them due to the thieving culture in PRC (I read that 10 cent stole the WeChat technology from the actual innovator who saw nothing from it, as 10Cent had better "connections" or knew where to place the bribes in other words), Most of the actual innovators are outside of the country, and they've seen a further exodus since HK went back under mainland control. I maintain one of the great "successes" of the criminals running the country has been chasing their best and brightest away, certainly good for the west they are so fond of demonizing.

Visit some of the top universities and think tanks and you will see a new breed of Chinese emerging in the next 20 years

Yep. Can't wait for the new breed. Because the old breed definitely have some problems.

P45.

Rhodesian Ridgeback.

Chinese has no rights for an equal and right speech as long as the bashing is one way . That's the truth even in a forum.

Great. Free speech by western standards at its best

Free speech does not exist in the PRC, as you well know.

In fact there's nothing free in the PRC. There is always a cost attached.

Toxic. Environmentally, Socially, and the bottom line Politically.

What's free in a western environment ?

It's unfair to say that socially it's toxic...how many cities have one visited to make such a statement ?

It's brushing , divisive and non constructive. I have had the pleasure as many had on this forum to meet many Chinese in many different cities. They are intellectual, holds a great arguments and debate and have many view points

As I have explained on some postings prior, in the presence of close friends and families ...free speech is practiced and views are aggressively debated including any government policies.

In the presence of strangers they clam up and looks disinterested. At times the Chinese appears empathic and disinterested towards politics Lin the eyes of the west

There is an absence of debate talk shows in china that has aggressive talking styles and points being out across ...it's not in Asian style to be aggressively passionate about a point

I apologize but Asians are not westerners ; there will be some things where culturally it's easier to adapt. Being strong and using words carelessly like toxic ...is unfortunately not the style of Asians.

• Like 1

"Yep. Can't wait for the new breed. Because the old breed definitely have some problems.

P45.
Rhodesian Ridgeback."

Not so optimistic at this end. I see little new or cutting-edge coming out of the place, as again there is little motive for a Chinese innovator when a better-connected competitor can simply steal/copy their invention and use their connections to get away with it. Nothing against Chinese people but I don't see it shaping up into the sort of country that will keep its own best and brightest. Meanwhile FBI says PRC is the #1 threat to US cybersecurity and it's well-known they actively steal technology including military from many countries (look at Canada a couple of weeks ago), meanwhile CCTV stirs up hatred against foreign countries, etc.. Well of course they have steal it, there is nothing cutting-edge going on at home, and of course they are stirring up xenophobia, it's a classic technique to distract people from issues closer to home. Like only 9 Ch. cities reach air quality standards, and even the major bottled water brands don't consistently pass safety inspections. And the folks who profited off this are running off to the west. Nasty hypocrites.

• Like 1

Also look at the attitude towards places like HK and even "overseas Chinese" in places like Oz. If they were smart they would be saying, "let's figure out what Hong Kong did right and adapt to it", but instead they're doing the opposite. Likewise I read that Ch. language media in Oz is coming under control of party-aligned media heads, so even people there watching are getting the Party line as opposed to actual journalism. Instead of "let's figure out what other people are doing right and adapt to that", it's "all yours must submit to us" and "whatever you have is ours". Hardly the non-aggressive "Asian way" our resident CPC apologist professes.

• Like 1

Heading off into the beautiful lands of Japan ... And one on a first visit would realize most Japanese while helpful speak very little English they are immensely proud of their own language and very few street signs out of the major tourist areas is in English.

Anyone who has worked for a Japanese firm or done business with them know all of their official business correspondence remains Japanese and interpreters are needed if one does not speak the same language with fluency

China is aiming to do the same ...on the early years , English was needed to facilitate business deals and assist on transfer of knowledge . The current prime minister has drafted a new bill indicating this would soon change and all business deals will have to be in mandarin

I think it's a good step forward in preserving the Chinese heritage and culture. When I was young my grandad used to make me practice my Chinese strokes and it was 10 times harder than writing my ABC and I use to complain

However these days when I read a Chinese document and read poetry written by master poets of the past , I understand better the heritage behind the language and like good tea and wine so much to savor and enjoy.

It's not nationalism ..it's preserving your customs and traditions and I am proud of the direction taken by the CCP in moving into that direction.

On a side note , the recent CCP internal article is proposing harsher penalties including family prosecution however I only fear this will not go down well with the international community who will probably label as a trample of human rights.

Xi Jinping is under pressure to be seen to be doing something about pollution and corruption.

Ask Obama or Mrs Obama.

You mean, Prez Obama?

Ask Obama or Mrs Obama.

You mean, Prez Obama?

In the 2 years since he came into power, President Xi has vowed to tackle the corruption culture within the party leadership

So far ....people arrested and charged and investigated

Top Tier 1 Chinese City Party Chiefs

Bo Xi Lai

- Party Chief of Chongqing

Wan Qing Liang

- Party Chief of Guanzhou

General Xu Cai Hou

- Top Military Commander

Ling Ji Hua

- Top family clan linked to former President Hu and this family was deemed "untouchable" in china

Zhou Yong Kang

- Former Head is State Security Top 9 party position and breaking the taboo of investigating retired cadre members

It may be better to try think of one western leadership that has done that with conviction ...I hardly think it's a token gesture or can remember in the west where such measures have been investigated at this scale

As I mention my business is in the luxury hotel sector and I have not seen a year where the catering revenue has dipped this much due to the crackdown of official functions deemed wasteful under his watch.

Waiting for the cynic remarks now ...

• Like 1

"Waiting for the cynic remarks now ..."

It is dirty at the core. Just like the environment. Wasn't that already said though?

Just look at some of the criminals they're harboring now, 5 Chinese generals charged for espionage, and not the normal kind of espionage, keeping track of what other countries are doing, but an especially dirty kind of Chinese who consider the US her enemy and try to do all sorts of damage from the inside, namely stealing corporate and military secrets for their own benefit. Hey, at least they won't be able to head off to the west like most PRC criminals. How's the tea in Texas, Mr. Chee?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/05/19/us-cybercrime-usa-china-idUSBREA4I09420140519

Edited by squarethecircle
  • Like 1

To brush the PRC citizens as criminals for going to the west is rude, discriminatory and downright bizarre.

I thought the west propagate the freedom of choice , moving freely and expressing oneself and always believing in creating your own destiny ? I am sure it applies to everyone ?

At times I give advice to Chinese government officials who ask me what to do in a western environment ...I share with them don't be panicky when you see the first rude one , look further ...don't be offended by someone who insults china ...look further ..don't retort rubbish with low manners ...be better

They have always taken that advice and it seems they have always found someone culturally to connect with and a great presentation of the country and it's people.

They have come back impressed and that accounts for the kiwi diary products going into china ..gas pipes from Indonesia, luxury hotel brands expanding, train technology from Siemens ..they have found whenever they go there is always a common interest if there is mutual respect and a great exchange of information.

These families have moved to the west as much as there are western families who believe moving to the east is beneficial for themselves , many on this forum included calling Thailand our home.

Nothing bizarre and nothing criminal about it. It's all about choices.

When I am off work, I relax at Big C in Chiang Mai eating my KFC and chilling out, it's my choice.

To brush the PRC citizens as criminals for going to the west is rude, discriminatory and downright bizarre.

I thought the west propagate the freedom of choice , moving freely and expressing oneself and always believing in creating your own destiny ? I am sure it applies to everyone ?

At times I give advice to Chinese government officials who ask me what to do in a western environment ...I share with them don't be panicky when you see the first rude one , look further ...don't be offended by someone who insults china ...look further ..don't retort rubbish with low manners ...be better

They have always taken that advice and it seems they have always found someone culturally to connect with and a great presentation of the country and it's people.

They have come back impressed and that accounts for the kiwi diary products going into china ..gas pipes from Indonesia, luxury hotel brands expanding, train technology from Siemens ..they have found whenever they go there is always a common interest if there is mutual respect and a great exchange of information.

These families have moved to the west as much as there are western families who believe moving to the east is beneficial for themselves , many on this forum included calling Thailand our home.

When I am off work, I relax at Big C in Chiang Mai eating my KFC and chilling out, it's my choice.

Rapid urbanisation, and a move to a more Western lifestyle are contributing to the Diabetes epidemic in China with more than 10% of the population now suffering with the problem. The burden on China's health service and work force is considerable.

I blame McDonalds and KFC tbh.

Rapid urbanisation, and a move to a more Western lifestyle are contributing to the Diabetes epidemic in China with more than 10% of the population now suffering with the problem. The burden on China's health service and work force is considerable.

I blame McDonalds and KFC tbh.

With only a bit over 2,000 restaurants, hard to blame McDonalds. KFC has a bit under 5,000. Still, insignificant. Too many sodas (locally produced), too many snacks (locally produced), too little exercise (too many computer games/TV watching), etc, etc. Can't blame the west for all the world's woes.

I agree....urbanization comforts combined with a sedate lifestyle and food choices is a personal choice and China will now need to address this like any other nations before the medical costs overwhelms the developmental benefits

Looking at Vietnam where most of the citizens are slim ...it's easy to see it still boils down to personal responsibility ..exercising and cycling makes the Ao Dai still a stunning cultural dress to admire when you are sipping your teas at the hotels ...

Having motorized vehicles easily available at Walmart for fear of a lawsuit by the plus size was one of my first "what's that " moment in USA....as it was my first trip then ...I had to ask innocently what the scooters were for....

now having been conversant in the disabilities act, I chuckle quietly at people on scooters who continue to pile their trolleys with Oreos and when they don't even want to walk and shop for groceries

Peace and Goodwill to all people who share a common sky.

Air pollution from China's cities is causing environmental problems in Japan.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/25/world/asia/japanese-scientist-blames-china-for-yakushimas-dying-trees.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

I don't think this is anything new ....Indonesia annual forest fires creates grief for Singapore and KL and

I pray sincerely Japan's folly and inability to manage their nuclear plants and have the proper safeguards after that tsunami will not have a long term negative impact on the west coast seafood industry and threateningly ocean life in general as most scientists are still trying to grapple with the Fukushima fallout and the impact on ocean life

No one knows what's the effects now and the pictures on the internet of the discoveries is enough to scare ...I cannot imagine a world without seafood as a food sources...that would be very very sad.

^

Yep. I expected the Fukushima response MrChee.

Earthquakes can strike anywhere. As the Chinese people know.

So does somebody in higher authority than the CCP.

But I wouldn't expect you to understand what my point is on that one.

Peace and Goodwill to all people who share a common sky.

Air pollution from China's cities is causing environmental problems in Japan.

And there was (and is) a real chance that radiation fallout from Fukushima will some day render a large part of China uninhabitable, along with the rest of the Pacific Rim.

Because they cheaped it out.

Plenty of blame to go around.

And there was and is a real chance that China will take possession of the entire China Sea at the expense of The Philipines and Vietnam even if all the fish are dead. Not that they will be though....and there is of course the oil and gas to be considered.

Japan and the US will of course resist this polluting encroachment.

And there was and is a real chance that China will take possession of the entire China Sea at the expense of The Philipines and Vietnam even if all the fish are dead. Not that they will be though....and there is of course the oil and gas to be considered.

Japan and the US will of course resist this polluting encroachment.

There is this grandeur thoughts that USA and Japan believes it can do wonders with its the pacific fleet ...however the continued silence from the Chinese is driving them nuts

Unlike the USA who likes to show their stuff up free in national geo ...the Chinese have been silent on what their armies are and can do ...

While japan has the most advanced military equipment in the pacific ...technology unfortunately no longer win wars.