Thaivisa.com to meet with Immigration Commissioner

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

is it mandatory that foreigners carry their passports at all times?  if so, can this be waived or amended to allow carrying a copy of passport and visa?  carrying one's passport in the heat and humidity will rapidly lead to its deterioration.  thank you.

• Like 1

I am married to Thai wife with 2 daughters using Non O Immigration visa / extension.

I shall be very keen to look for a work in order to support the welfare of my family but I find the work permit rules has restricted my ability.

Question: Can you possibly encourage all the expats with Thai families obtaining Work Permit without the requirement of the company setup & hiring some Thai employees in near future?   wai2.gif

Edited by nabbie

90 Day Reporting -

As all the report requires is an address, what good does it do Immigration as a person with bad intentions will simply provide a false address. Could there not be a way to provide your address at time of receiving the Visa and then only report when the address changes? If someone stays at the same address over a course of years, the 90 day reporting becomes an unnecessary cost to the government in terms of paperwork and a loss of time to the visitor.

Will 90 Day Reporting be moved to an online environment to cut down costs?

I've noted that when I go to Immigration (usually a few days before my stamp expires) for a visa extension (on any Visa over 90 days), I invariably get a date stamped that is 90 days from the date of the last Visa stamp. This provides me with a full 90 days on each Visa extension. However, when I go to the 90 Day Reporting line and report my address, the date is from the day I am at the Immigration office. Therefore, my Visa stamp and my 90 Day Reporting stamp are now several days different. The amount of days begins to grow as I always go early to get my Visa updated. Can the two dates be sync'd?

Visas over 90 Days -

Is there a reason why a person who is approved for a Visa over 90 days, must return to Immigration to do an extension stamp? Why isn't a one year Visa, simply a one year Visa? The amount of paperwork, time and effort that goes into reporting every 90 days seems counter-productive to both the government and to the visitor. There is absolutely no change to a person's passport between extensions - unless they leave the country and have a reentry stamp. In that case, border Immigration has already examined the documentation. Any plans to streamline your process so more time can be spent on enforcing policies and less on paperwork?

• Like 1

Please can you explain rules for single foreign women with a child who has a Thai father and living in Thailand.   O'visa, but can only stay for 90 days then having to do a border run. This is difficult when child is in school and sole carer has to leave the country and child behind every 90 days.

Working, can it be possible for this situation that the mother is allowed to work on her family 0'visa without having to change to a Non B visa?

I married my wife 14 years ago in Thailand. She immigrated to Canada where we have enjoyed wonderful years together. No 90 day reporting, no visa extension and a clearly set out path to citizenship. She was also covered by Canada's Universal Health Care after 90 days in the country.  We didn't have to leave money on deposit in a bank for her to stay. As we approach retirement we would like to spend more time in Thailand and perhaps even move there. 

Is their nothing you can do make things easier for people to enjoy retirement in Thailand? Is it really necessary to report every 90 days and fill out forms telling the government where we live, in order to avoid fines and asked to leave the Kingdom. We need long term stability not feelings of mistrust.

• Like 1

What i would like the commisioner to consider is the real need for all expats over 50 on retirement extension to abolish the antiquated 90 day reports,if working etc yes then maybe they need to see the reporting is done for overstay or the like.

This obviously would cut down on amount of flow most immo offices have to deal with daily.

• Like 1

Do you think it's fair that a man who has been working in Thailand for 26 years, paying tax and putting 3 kids through schools and Unis still has to report to immigration in person  in Khon Kaen every 90 days when he retires, which is the same as the guy whose been here 2 months on a retirement visa?. 

I resided in Thailand from end of March 2012 - beginning of May 2013 on a 1-year multiple entry non-immigrant B visa sponsored by the language school where I did my TEFL in May 2012. During this time I left Thailand a few times (traveling around, with only one actual "visa run") and got a new 90-day stamp each time I returned. I worked part time (teaching English) through the language school. They started the paperwork to get a work permit for me, but did not actually get the work permit I assume because I was not working full time. I did not realize it at the time but now I know that I was working illegally.

My question:

Will this past history affect my ability to return to Thailand in the future:

1. on a tourist visa for a short visit
2. on a retirement visa for a long stay
3. on an education visa (to legitimately study Thai) for a long stay

Thank you. Edited by angelbat

For those who are living in Thailand with an extension of stay, based on marriage or retirement.

They will usually stay in Thailand for a long period, like living in Thailand.

In case that they need to leave the Kingdom by a good reason, whilst they have to apply for the next extension, would you consider to allow applying earlier than a 30 or 45 days for the next extension of stay or maybe even within a 7 days after returning?

Would they be prepared to look deep in to the Visa system and try to clean it all up.

With new, simple, understandable and relevant rules.

And No corruption!

Tell them that there are a lot of money going directly to the officers desk box, today.

But most probably they already know.

I would like to know if there are plans to set up E-Visas for off shore workers and tourists outside the kingdom. It would seem that there are a a growing number of unnecessary boycotts of Thailand, due to worries about getting turned back at airports and land borders for not having a visa.

I support my Thai wife, her son, her parents, her brother who has a brain injury and her niece. I consider Thailand my home and would like to ask why I am treated as little more than a visitor? Why can't there be some consideration, such as permanent residency, for someone who is caring for his extended family?

Edited by Saan
  • Like 2

I would like to know if an offshore worker who lives in a resort complex paying resort prices and using 6 exempt stamps a year is ok? Krabi immigration have said no i need to get tourist visas each time which would mean back to back even though a month apart.

Hat yai immigration told me 4 times per year for visa exempt, phuket town immigration told me i have no problems as i genuinely don't work here.

Can you get a clear answer on how many exempts are allowed per year?

Thanks for your time and effort you guys put into this.

I would like to if it would be possible to have a 3 month visa if our current employment was terminated. I believe that at the moment we have 7 days which is not enough time to find another job. Some of us have made a life here, have wives, children and homes and it doesn't seem right that if I lost my current job or if the contract was not renewed I would have to leave Thailand. I am legally supporting a wife and our child who are both citizens of Thailand, the money I earn stays within Thailand, but if my contract was terminated, I have to leave which would cause unnecessary suffering and hardship for my Thai wife and our son.

I would  to know why it is required that we have a PGCE to be able to get a five year license, the current cost from Nottingham University is 170,000baht, this is 3.5 months wages for me which is impossible while supporting a wife and child. It would be better if every teacher had to pass the IELTS exam with a minimum of 7.5 in each subject, with the requirement of having to retake the test every x years. Everyone who has a degree doesn't necessarily have a good command of English, especially those over the age of 50. An exam that tests listening, speaking, comprehension and writing should be the only requirement as these are the skills that we teach. 

International schools and universities will be the only educational establishments to have teachers as anyone who has a Degree in Education will work where the money is. The government schools and private schools will suffer as a consequence of these new laws.

Do you believe that the Immigration rules could be streamlined in the future to allow retired expats with any Non-immigrant O (retirement, marriage) visa the opportunity to obtain Work Permits and to be allow to volunteer in order to perform uncompensated community centered work here in Thailand (such as helping rural schools near where we live with English programs)? 

It is very common for retired Americans to perform free volunteer work as a way of giving something back to society and the communities they live in.   Many of us would like to help the communities we live in here in Thailand without breaking Thai laws.  But expats with Retirement visas can't obtain Work Permits, and the process of obtaining a Work Permit is so complicated that most Thai organizations don't want to deal with it even if offered expat volunteers to help them.  Therefore the question as stated above: can this be changed and the processes streamlined?

Edited by connda
  • Like 2

Should be lower income/financial requirements and easier to get visa for those that own condo(s) paid in full since their living costs are significantly reduced and they have shown good faith investing in the country.

• Like 2