Thaivisa.com to meet with Immigration Commissioner

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the number of times in one year that you can enter Thailand with a 30 day visa exempt stamp. I was told by immigration officials at airport when I entered that since this was my 3rd entry in 2014 that I may not be allowed to come back

Same question but asking for further clarification -

1.  If there is such a rule, what is a "year" - the present calendar year or the last 365 days?

2. If there is such a rule, does it apply to everyone or just those coming from neighbouring countries?

3.  If there isn't a restriction based on number of visits in one year, are there any other restrictions planned and, if so, what are they (full details)?

• Like 1

I live and work in Cyprus - where there is no Thai diplomatic representation and therefore nowhere to apply for visas. I  normally visit Thailand several times a year using the 30 day exempt. So far I have visited twice for business, twice for pleasure (my Thai wife is resident in Thailand - she is not keen on Cyprus) and twice for medical (cancer diagnosis and then a month later an operation). Apart from the operation visit (when I was in Bangkok for three weeks before I was allowed to travel) my normal visit duration in two weeks or less. I will be visiting again later this month for 10 days further treatment and will be doing so again in November. Will there be problems if I continue to enter on 30 days exempt. If yes,  what sort of visa should I seek - and how do I get it given the lack of any Thai representation here?

My question is this: I have renewed my ED visa last month (July) and it is not an extension it is a new 1 year ED visa. I go to class as I should and speak fairly decent Thai. Do I have to leave the country to renew it again and if so when?

Could you set up a confidential hotline (with English language operator) for expats to report people known to be staying here illegally?

There are many good people staying legally in Thailand who would like to help remove the criminal elements who come here and abuse the system. Criminals are often known more easily to other expats than they are to Thai officials, so a hotline would be a great aid in enforcing the law. Edited by badmedicine

Regarding the rule to carry our Passport with us at all times. I assume this is to make sure I'm not on over stay. My Passport is good for 10 years. If I have to carry it at all times, it probably wouldn't even last 5 years. Plus it would be easier to get lost. I have a suggestion: Below the Immigration Visa stamp, in our Passport, insert a block. In this block, the Immigration officer would write our name. Then we could just carry a copy of the Passport picture page and a copy of the page with the Visa stamp (which would have our name written in by the Immigration officer). This way, we would only have to carry 2 small pieces of paper with us. Personally, I would rather take the possible chance of having to pay a 2000 baht fine rather than take the greater chance of loosing the Passport (or stolen) and then have to go thru all the hassle of replacing my Passport.
  • Like 1

1: I have two questions : Why when you have a work pass do you have to do a 90 day report and also have to get a Multi-Entry Visa?

2: Carrying your passport at all times is both risky (theft) and inconvenient, especially if you go to the beach etc, would it not be possible for Expats both retirees and Work Pass, to have a similar i/d card as Thais, that way if it is lost or stolen, you do not have the major problem that would apply to a passport. 

I have not read all the posts, so if this is a repeat - my apologies.

• Like 1

Regarding the rule to carry our Passport with us at all times. I assume this is to make sure I'm not on over stay. My Passport is good for 10 years. If I have to carry it at all times, it probably wouldn't even last 5 years. Plus it would be easier to get lost. I have a suggestion: Below the Immigration Visa stamp, in our Passport, insert a block. In this block, the Immigration officer would write our name. Then we could just carry a copy of the Passport picture page and a copy of the page with the Visa stamp (which would have our name written in by the Immigration officer). This way, we would only have to carry 2 small pieces of paper with us. Personally, I would rather take the possible chance of having to pay a 2000 baht fine rather than take the greater chance of loosing the Passport (or stolen) and then have to go thru all the hassle of replacing my Passport.

You do not need to carry your passport around with you - just produce it in a reasonable time when challenged.

This one has already been proposed, but it bears repeating: 

When is a tourist no longer a tourist? For how long can a person legally visit Thailand for leisure purposes? Is there a limit of days in a calendar year, or tourist visas/exemptions?

And a corollary: will immigration officers receive clear instructions of these limits to ensure that decisions made at land and air borders are fair and consistent?

• Like 1

1) Could they review or come up with a visa that will benefit expats earning income from oversea and wishes to pay taxes and also call thailand their home away from home ? since getting PR status is a long and tides process

2) If NOT Will they review and maybe come up with a installment plans for ppl to purchase thai elite card (i know people will say there is gonna be ppl abusing this if so. Maybe come out with somthing like 3 mths review just like the ED visa. and for those who didnt made their payment the visa would be cancel ?) 

Above is the 2 question i would like to ask. Thanks !

Please ask this question! It will help many!

1. To eliminate misinterpretation at lower levels how about implementing one set of rules nationwide & ensuring each office(r ) complies?

2. When can foreign spouses married to Thais & on extensions based on marriage expect parity re the renewal process?

(I'm told that Indonesia addressed this <gender discrimination> issue recently in order to bring them in line re ASEAN).  

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 2

Why was the grandfather clause cut out for the married to Thai foreigner a few years ago

It was 200.000 baht in the bank, and then without notice the grandfather clause was cut out making the foreigner add 200.000 baht to the bank account or leave.

Why couldn't the grandfather clause continue on forever.

Who decided to change this and why.

Thank you for the opportunity to ask questions.

• Like 2