Immigration Experience 6th August

Konini

Went to immigration this morning, we arrived just after 7am and it was packed, and we got number 95! Talking to a couple of young blokes there for student visa extension (or reporting, not sure which) who had got there at 6.45 and had numbers 72 and 73. By number 52 all retirement visa slots had gone for the day and by number 68 business, teacher, spouse, 90 day report counter and retirement, student, volunteer counter were also full with everyone (including the young blokes) being told to come back and try again tomorrow. It keeps getting earlier and earlier.

As always, despite the serious under-staffing which must keep them under constant pressure, the folks behind the desks managed to keep polite and friendly.

• Like 1

I came in around 11:00 to transfer my stamps from my old passport to new passport and they gave me a queue number and told to come back at 1:30 (queue #313 arrived at 1:30 serving 311). Both times the place was pretty much standing room only inside. About one hour or less for me to get the stamps transfer complete but yes, quite packed for a midweek day. Perhaps due to the long 4 day weekend coming up. One person chatted me up and was there for 90 day report and said the queue for 90 day was going very slow.

Edited by OccamsRazor

I feel really sorry for the guys in CM Immigration. The buildings are totally inadequate, their computer systems are creaking, the online booking system does not work, they have to deal with thousands of Burmese daily. The CM 'immigrant' population has increased hugely over the years, yet no-one in BKK seems to care. I have had conversations with Phu Yai about IT and they just shrug. Of course they have made representations to BKK..to no avail. At one stage farang were making waiting lists, but the Thais ceased to recognise them. I think now you have to be there at 6.00 am at least and lie across the door! Though we live in CM we have an arrangement with an Immigration Office in another Jangwat where we have a house. 1 Year extension of visa/90 day reporting done in 15 minutes. No other farang to be seen ! I suppose one day we will be had up for being out of town for 24 hours!

Amazing how experiences differ. And timing makes all the difference. I went the 3rd week of June for my retirement extension. No appointment. Got there around 13:45 or thereabouts. They gave me the queue card and I hadn't been sitting down for more than 10 minutes before they called my number. Was led straight over to the guy who does my extensions every year. No questions as usual and was finished in about 15 minutes. The only thing different this year was I had to go to another desk where my passport was scanned and my photo was taken. Took another 5 minutes. Then I had to wait for an hour and 5 minutes just to get my passport back. If there had not been such a long wait for my passport, then I would have been out of there in less than an hour.

Amazing how experiences differ. And timing makes all the difference. I went the 3rd week of June for my retirement extension. No appointment. Got there around 13:45 or thereabouts. They gave me the queue card and I hadn't been sitting down for more than 10 minutes before they called my number. Was led straight over to the guy who does my extensions every year. No questions as usual and was finished in about 15 minutes. The only thing different this year was I had to go to another desk where my passport was scanned and my photo was taken. Took another 5 minutes. Then I had to wait for an hour and 5 minutes just to get my passport back. If there had not been such a long wait for my passport, then I would have been out of there in less than an hour.

I'm going to try that, showing up in the afternoon for the one year extension, just to see if I can get lucky. If it doesn't work, I'll try it until it does. Showing up at 6:00 AM, only to find people already in line who must have slept there overnight, is an intolerable drag. Chiang Mai is not a 6:00 AM town.

And, to a previous poster, no offense, but I don't see how bringing your kids to that circus allows you to jump the queue. Look behind you next time and check the expressions.

I'm going to try that, showing up in the afternoon for the one year extension, just to see if I can get lucky. If it doesn't work, I'll try it until it does. Showing up at 6:00 AM, only to find people already in line who must have slept there overnight, is an intolerable drag. Chiang Mai is not a 6:00 AM town.

And, to a previous poster, no offense, but I don't see how bringing your kids to that circus allows you to jump the queue. Look behind you next time and check the expressions.

I too, am not a morning person. In 7 1/2 years here I've never been outside at 6:00 A.M. I can't get up that early. Never have, never will - maybe once every few years when traveling. Now, last year I did get there at 7:50 and still managed to be completely finished with my extension by 10:30.

Maybe June is a month with low turnout at C.M. Immigration??? Maybe I've just been getting lucky...

I am very curious why anyone would go stand in line in a crowded Immigration office for 90 day reporting when the mail in service is simple and much more convenient.

There is no way that my passport is going into the postal service or to a visa agent either. This week Immigration has been very busy because next Monday and Tuesday are public holidays. And still the staff were very effective and polite when I went in Tuesday.

I am very curious why anyone would go stand in line in a crowded Immigration office for 90 day reporting when the mail in service is simple and much more convenient.

There is no way that my passport is going into the postal service or to a visa agent either. This week Immigration has been very busy because next Monday and Tuesday are public holidays. And still the staff were very effective and polite when I went in Tuesday.

AFAIK you don't have to post your passport, just copies:

Edited by stuurman

no passport. only photocopies. been doing it for years. i don't understand why everyone doesn't do it this way and free up the queue for other things in which one has to go there. everyone would be doing each other a favor.

no passport. only photocopies. been doing it for years. i don't understand why everyone doesn't do it this way and free up the queue for other things in which one has to go there. everyone would be doing each other a favor.

Maybe because some time ago,and it was discussed at length on this forum,that there was confusion on what distance you lived away from the Office to be eligible. I totally agree it would free up the crowding and of course the old chestnut why do we have to do it at all?

I understand that representatives from Thai Visa are meeting the head of Immigration in Bangkok shortly where he has offered to answer questions on a range of visa topics and I'm sure that will be up the top of the list

I arrived yesterday (thursday) at 2:30pm, got my number and was all done and back on the road by 3pm... a bit longer than usual,

but then, as folks have noted, with the holiday coming up, it is making the place a bit busier than normal.

Been doing the late afternoon 90 day report for about 2 yrs now and usually it is less than 10 mins.

• Like 1

Had my appointment booked online for today, which is about 3 weeks before the actual expiry date.

Immigration was heaving, but I was called to the desk bang on time.

Retirement renewal process 7 minutes, passport scan and photo 2 minutes, passport return 21 minutes.

So from the time I walked in until the time I walked out was about half an hour, pretty impressive stuff. thumbsup.gif

My bank letter and passbook update were dated Friday 8th.

Make your own luck.

Hire someone.

Easy.

Two thing's

1 I was under the impression that you had to take your passport to the service that does the 90 day. Why would they need that if a copy could be mailed in?

2 There was a time when they just stopped excepting mail in's with no warning. They then started to except them from outside a certain line that no one ever really had confirmation on and now are accepting mail in ones from any where with copies. Not the passports the walk ins have to have.

On the other hand I guess you could send your wife. I know one fellow did while he waited in the car. While his wife went in and gave them a line about being in a hurry kids to pick up so she could get to the head of the line.

Had my appointment booked online for today, which is about 3 weeks before the actual expiry date.

Retirement renewal process 7 minutes, passport scan and photo 2 minutes, passport return 21 minutes.

So from the time I walked in until the time I walked out was about half an hour, pretty impressive stuff. thumbsup.gif

I forgot to add that during the 20 minutes that I was watching people (mostly Chinese) trampling over all and sundry to get information, the two girls on the information counter were brilliant, especially the one wearing official green. She seemed to be able to multi task several questions at once, with a big smile. smile.png

Have not had to go to that hell hole for about 2 years .Got a non immigrant O by way of marriage in Laos ,for the last 2 years .

P.S.The immigration office in Jomtien /Pattaya where i used live was always an easy quick experience.

Edited by anto

I forgot to add that during the 20 minutes that I was watching people (mostly Chinese) trampling over all and sundry to get information, the two girls on the information counter were brilliant, especially the one wearing official green. She seemed to be able to multi task several questions at once, with a big smile. smile.png

gosh,what a very interesting day u have had at the sewer dept

had better times, in c/mai ram cancer clinic

A few here take CM immigration way to serious, just look at it as a different kind of experience. I always take a book just another place to read, I prefer to take care of my own extension as I can field the questions if something comes up as it did with a friend recently. He had paid someone to do it and they were not able to explain the situation in detail and he was denied extension of stay and now has a tourist visa to convert to a non o and do the whole thing again but he hasn't learned his lesson yet as he went off to talk to some visa agent a few days ago.

• Like 1

Make your own luck.

Hire someone.

Easy.

Two thing's

1 I was under the impression that you had to take your passport to the service that does the 90 day. Why would they need that if a copy could be mailed in?

2 There was a time when they just stopped excepting mail in's with no warning. They then started to except them from outside a certain line that no one ever really had confirmation on and now are accepting mail in ones from any where with copies. Not the passports the walk ins have to have.

On the other hand I guess you could send your wife. I know one fellow did while he waited in the car. While his wife went in and gave them a line about being in a hurry kids to pick up so she could get to the head of the line.

Mailed submissions are accepted. This has been confirmed at least twice recently in the past month or so.

For guidance, read the excellent pinned thread for TV Chiang Mai. You do NOT mail in your passport. And mail in two weeks ahead of time.

The big problem is that a lot of people do not read the excellent guidance provided.

It is apparent that waits lately can sometimes be excessive. Wonder why that is.

Edited by Mapguy

As this thread has taken the interesting turn to be of 90 day reporting, I would like to ask what may be a stupid question.

If you had a multi entry type extension, were to leave the country for a holiday would your re-entry stamp at the airport count as your report, or would you still have to go to immigration? Just curious, it's something I've always wondered about.

As this thread has taken the interesting turn to be of 90 day reporting, I would like to ask what may be a stupid question.

If you had a multi entry type extension, were to leave the country for a holiday would your re-entry stamp at the airport count as your report, or would you still have to go to immigration? Just curious, it's something I've always wondered about.

If I understand the question correctly.....

If you were to leave the country for a holiday prior to being in the country for 90 consecutive days, then there is no 90 day reporting requirement and thus no requirement to go to immigration. Your 'new' 90 days starts on the day you re-enter Thailand.

Edited by Diplomatico
  • Like 2

Thanks for that - you did understand perfectly. We are finally going to bite the bullet and get a retirement visa. Our problem so far which has kept us on tourist visas was that we were under 50 (recently solved) and a bit concerned about the financial requirements. No problem with depositing the 800,000, but a problem with trusting Thai banks after reading horror stories about accounts being cleaned out by bank staff and the bank not being very active in reimbursing the customer, despite proof it was their staff who did it. Very, very unlikely, but it's always in the back of my mind; it's a lot of money to lose. We have a self managed superannuation fund in Australia which we could take regular monthly payments from, but under Aus tax law we can't start drawing on that until my husband, who is a smidge older than me, is 55. Our income is way more than what is required, but it's not regular as in a monthly payment hitting a central account. Our tax returns show us having negative income - impossible to explain to anyone who doesn't understand the way the tax paid dividends work in Australia, and impossible to prove to someone who doesn't speak very good English and/or have a financial background that although we don't seem to make money on official papers, we actually do.

As I said, time to bite that bullet and transfer 800,000 over here. I would be very appreciative if someone could recommend a good bank and an appropriate account as I read that some account types are not acceptable. A few years ago we opened an ATM account at Kasikorn because it was convenient to where we lived at the time and we just told them we wanted an account with ATM access - the branch has now closed although that hasn't affected our ability to transfer money into it from Australia we are unable to get internet banking with it; I emailed their head office to enquire and the excuse they gave me for not being allowed internet access is that it's a joint account. blink.png Seriously. w00t.gif I realise that it would have to be an account without my name on it, rather than a joint account, not a problem. There's a thought - would the transfer of money, currently not at all regular as I just transfer a few thousand dollars when the balance is getting low, but I could make it so that it is a regular amount (preferably quarterly to avoid the transfer fees) be acceptable. Would that count as proof of income? Statutory declaration type paperwork to say that income is over 65,000 baht from the Aus consul (who is really one of the nicest people I've come across), and bank account records to prove that we have transferred an average of more than 65,000 baht a month for a year. Couldn't do that at the moment, as the money has been transferred into a joint account, but if we could open an account in my name (or his) and start making quarterly payments into it and wangle another year on tourist visa's it could just work if immigration would accept it. We currently are a couple of weeks away from going to a wedding in Malaysia which will be the first entry of a triple entry visa used up, 2 entries remaining so we're good for another 6 months. We are going to to Australia in February and can get a double entry on our Australian passports without any problem and 12 months will be up before we know it.

I'm sorry to have taken this thread way, way off topic, but it's my thread so I'm allowed, and above my avatar I declared to the world that I'm a meandering member giggle.gif

As for the 90 day report thing, we visit UK at least twice a year to visit our ever-aging families , Australia once a year to sort out legal stuff and to catch up with friends and in between we visit friends in Malaysia and Vietnam, have the occasional chill trip to Lake Toba or somewhere we've never been before, so we are never in the country for more than 90 consecutive days hence my question on having to report (and hence my not feeling guilty of being on tourist visas for the last 4 years as Chiang Mai is just our base rather than our permanent home, and all up, we spend just as much time away as we spend here). I would be happy to stay on tourist visas, but realise that the current crackdown could possibly affect us.

Would like to hear thoughts on my idea's, things can get rather savage in other forums so I prefer to ask all my question to the good folk of Chiang Mai who are rarely unpleasant, even to meanderer's like myself.

EDIT: Just thought - I really am just typing as I think - being on tourist rather than Non O visa might prevent us from opening the type of account that we will need, or for this purpose will it not matter what kind of account it is, just so long as the account is in a single name not joint names?

Edited by Konini

Thanks for that - you did understand perfectly. We are finally going to bite the bullet and get a retirement visa. Our problem so far which has kept us on tourist visas was that we were under 50 (recently solved) and a bit concerned about the financial requirements. No problem with depositing the 800,000, but a problem with trusting Thai banks after reading horror stories about accounts being cleaned out by bank staff and the bank not being very active in reimbursing the customer, despite proof it was their staff who did it. Very, very unlikely, but it's always in the back of my mind; it's a lot of money to lose. We have a self managed superannuation fund in Australia which we could take regular monthly payments from, but under Aus tax law we can't start drawing on that until my husband, who is a smidge older than me, is 55. Our income is way more than what is required, but it's not regular as in a monthly payment hitting a central account. Our tax returns show us having negative income - impossible to explain to anyone who doesn't understand the way the tax paid dividends work in Australia, and impossible to prove to someone who doesn't speak very good English and/or have a financial background that although we don't seem to make money on official papers, we actually do.

As I said, time to bite that bullet and transfer 800,000 over here. I would be very appreciative if someone could recommend a good bank and an appropriate account as I read that some account types are not acceptable. A few years ago we opened an ATM account at Kasikorn because it was convenient to where we lived at the time and we just told them we wanted an account with ATM access - the branch has now closed although that hasn't affected our ability to transfer money into it from Australia we are unable to get internet banking with it; I emailed their head office to enquire and the excuse they gave me for not being allowed internet access is that it's a joint account. blink.png Seriously. w00t.gif I realise that it would have to be an account without my name on it, rather than a joint account, not a problem. There's a thought - would the transfer of money, currently not at all regular as I just transfer a few thousand dollars when the balance is getting low, but I could make it so that it is a regular amount (preferably quarterly to avoid the transfer fees) be acceptable. Would that count as proof of income? Statutory declaration type paperwork to say that income is over 65,000 baht from the Aus consul (who is really one of the nicest people I've come across), and bank account records to prove that we have transferred an average of more than 65,000 baht a month for a year. Couldn't do that at the moment, as the money has been transferred into a joint account, but if we could open an account in my name (or his) and start making quarterly payments into it and wangle another year on tourist visa's it could just work if immigration would accept it. We currently are a couple of weeks away from going to a wedding in Malaysia which will be the first entry of a triple entry visa used up, 2 entries remaining so we're good for another 6 months. We are going to to Australia in February and can get a double entry on our Australian passports without any problem and 12 months will be up before we know it.

I'm sorry to have taken this thread way, way off topic, but it's my thread so I'm allowed, and above my avatar I declared to the world that I'm a meandering member giggle.gif

As for the 90 day report thing, we visit UK at least twice a year to visit our ever-aging families , Australia once a year to sort out legal stuff and to catch up with friends and in between we visit friends in Malaysia and Vietnam, have the occasional chill trip to Lake Toba or somewhere we've never been before, so we are never in the country for more than 90 consecutive days hence my question on having to report (and hence my not feeling guilty of being on tourist visas for the last 4 years as Chiang Mai is just our base rather than our permanent home, and all up, we spend just as much time away as we spend here). I would be happy to stay on tourist visas, but realise that the current crackdown could possibly affect us.

Would like to hear thoughts on my idea's, things can get rather savage in other forums so I prefer to ask all my question to the good folk of Chiang Mai who are rarely unpleasant, even to meanderer's like myself.

EDIT: Just thought - I really am just typing as I think - being on tourist rather than Non O visa might prevent us from opening the type of account that we will need, or for this purpose will it not matter what kind of account it is, just so long as the account is in a single name not joint names?

I would not worry one bit about the bank if it is a well known bank such Siam, Bangkok or Kasikorn . I use the commercial bank of Siam myself. I knew a retired CPA from the states who was also afraid of the banks here so he kept his money in the states. It was funny because there was no news of a Thai bank closing their doors and in the states they were closing their doors all over the country. I went in to my branch of the commercial bank of Siam and spoke to the manager. She informed me that it was the bank the king had interest in. Good enough for me.

I understand that if you can open a Bangkok bank account in Australia it is easier to get money transferred here. To be honest I have never heard about the problems with Thai Banks that you have out lined. Then again I only read the Bangkok Post occasionally and check Google News. Never seen it on Thai Visa.

Will be interesting to see if your report brings out any thing along those lines.

I do know that when you apply for the visa the bank book must match the letter from the bank even though they are both over the 800,000 baht mark. Have heard several times people had to deposit or take money out to get the two to match.

NJ: "I do know that when you apply for the visa the bank book must match the letter from the bank even though they are both over the 800,000 baht mark. Have heard several times people had to deposit or take money out to get the two to match".

I too have read this, though it doesn't make much sense.

Just get the letter the day before, or on the Friday if a Monday appointment and have the bank update the passbook the same time as they write the letter, so that both match. In the case of Bangkok bank they put a 24 hour freeze on the book.

Regardless of which bank, it's easy enough to pre-plan so as not to touch the money for 24 hours.

• Like 1